M31 Andromeda - Reprocessing Update

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
I decided to do some reprocessing as the clouds seem to never clear above the UK. The 2nd image is my 4th version (and final until I get more data).

Marking just over 12 months of Astrophotography I revisited my first ever DSO, M31. Rather different equipment this time, but 12 months of 'upgrades' has left me finally happy with my kit lol.
  • 112 x 120s Lights - 3.7 hours
  • 40 x Darks
  • QHY268C @ -20
  • William Optics GT81 with Flat6Aiii @ 384mm focal length
  • Stellardrive EQ6-R Pro
  • Astronomik UV/IR Cut Filter
  • Bortle Class 4 skies
Fully processed in Pixinsight. I'll be coming back to this, I'd like to add at least another 4 hours of broadband frames and a couple of hours of Ha.

M31 Andromeda V2 20-12-2020 by Andy Thilo, on Flickr

M31 V4 by Andy Thilo, on Flickr

Last edited:
That's lovely. I'm just in process of trying to get started in astro. If I could get there in a year I'd be happy (that's image quality not actually travelling there)

That's lovely. I'm just in process of trying to get started in astro. If I could get there in a year I'd be happy (that's image quality not actually travelling there)

Thanks! It’s as much about processing as taking the images. I reprocessed some data from last year and produced much better images than I did before. But the other key is time, minimum 4 hours. I want another 6-10 on this which is bloody painful in the UK.

If you are patient then the Milky Way and Andromeda will collide and you won't have as far to go. Set you alarm for about 4.5 billion years from now, on a Tuesday at ten past three in the afternoon.

I've no idea what you said above, but the image is pretty damned impressive (y)

Very nice!!
Like many others - dabbling into the astro-stuff myself here for the first time as well...
'Unfortunately' they opened a new Astro-store in Finland.. so it means cloud covered sky for like three months ;-)
So even if I got my gear a month ago.. still waiting for the first clear night ....

If my images are anything NEAR this in a year... would be well chuffed!!
That is a very nice image indeed!!!

A little afraid of all the post processing that these images require....

Outstanding :)

Thanks for all the kind comments. I've reprocessed it (2nd image) I think it pops much more and also really shows the dust lanes in M31.

The 2nd image is a great improvement, so much more defined (y)

If you are patient then the Milky Way and Andromeda will collide and you won't have as far to go. Set you alarm for about 4.5 billion years from now, on a Tuesday at ten past three in the afternoon.

The way today's moving it feels like we're almost there already

Thanks for all the kind comments. I've reprocessed it (2nd image) I think it pops much more and also really shows the dust lanes in M31.

With my newbie hat on to astro, did you manage any of the extra 4 hours you were looking for on this for the second image or does this reflect more/ reprocessing of the original shots/ image?

Back