M40 and Red kites

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
I am going to be making a journey up the M40 and I wonder if there are any good places to stop and photograph red kites near the motorway, ideally not far away or I will not be able to sell it to my wife.
Any advice? My google search makes me think Oxford services could be a good place.

Chris's Café on the A40, exit the M40 at Stokenchurch then head to High Wycombe and its on the left.

They feed the Kites at 1pm every day with the scraps left over from the mornings breakfasts, you'll get around 50 birds circling and diving down for the food.
Thank you so much, that looks like an amazing place and according to Google maps will add only 5 minutes to my journey (if we do not get lost).
PS I really liked the photos on your website, really good.

Last edited:
That feeding site IMO has sadly affected the feeding and dispersal behaviour of the Red Kites........just back garden feeding writ large and no one should be feeding them in their gardens! :(

I was told a while back though never been that around Princes Risborough & Chinnor is good especially if you get to higher ground visible from the M40 as you head north through the cutting.

That feeding site IMO has sadly affected the feeding and dispersal behaviour of the Red Kites........just back garden feeding writ large and no one should be feeding them in their gardens! :(

I was told a while back though never been that around Princes Risborough & Chinnor is good especially if you get to higher ground visible from the M40 as you head north through the cutting.
Tricky one, but I suppose as they are rare (or were) people want to help them flourish.
Not saying that you are wrong, I am not quite sure what is right to do.

Tricky one, but I suppose as they are rare (or were) people want to help them flourish.
Not saying that you are wrong, I am not quite sure what is right to do.

This site makes the point that occasional/infrequent feeding will cause no long term 'harm', hence my concern over the regular feeding at & by that cafe.........and indeed any other people.

http://www.redkites.net/section72403_17684.html

Much as I would love to see such a flock close up I have not gone there.

The above really only impacts in residential situations, unlike Gigrin Farm and the other in North Wales are afaik and understood logical & important supplement in a natural situation for them.

Chris's Café on the A40, exit the M40 at Stokenchurch then head to High Wycombe and its on the left.

They feed the Kites at 1pm every day with the scraps left over from the mornings breakfasts, you'll get around 50 birds circling and diving down for the food.

You'll see loads of Red Kites on your trip along the M40 but Chris's cafe is definitely the best place to guarantee seeing them close up and diving down for the food scraps.
You'll get a mean brunch there as well!!

What lens would you need on a FF to photograph the Red Kites at Chris's cafe. I would hate to turn up with a 600 mm when a 70 -200 is more appropriate.

Last edited:
What lens would you need on a FF to photograph the Red Kites at Chris's cafe. I would hate to turn up with a 600 mm when a 70 -200 is more appropriate.
Good question. I am going on Friday and will let you know, if no one answers before then.
I am planning to pack my 150-600 and my 75-300 so I should be ok

That whole area and Xmas Common is Red Kite manor for sure....

Thanks that would be great.
Sadly on Friday I was delayed so could not get there and on bank holidays Chris's motel is closed (which I didn't realize from the website).
However Stokenchurch is full of them. I went to this indian restaurant
http://mowchak.com/stokenchurch/foodmenu-type-collection.php

While waiting for the food there were loads flying around, for the flying birds I would have thought the longest lens you have would be good. I took quite a lot of photos, hopefully they are ok.

This might help as well
http://www.chilternsaonb.org/uploads/files/AboutTheChilterns/Red Kites/Where_to_See_Red_Kites.pdf

Sorry to hear you didn't get there on Friday but thanks for the information, I shall put a 600mm in the boot and a 100 on the camera when I go.

Sorry to hear you didn't get there on Friday but thanks for the information, I shall put a 600mm in the boot and a 100 on the camera when I go.
You are welcome to be honest, when I was at the restaurant photographing the kites whilst waiting for my food, it was wonderful.
If I were them I would advertise, take photos while you wait - it, could get them more customers. I waited for my food about 15 minutes in the restaurant and then decided to wait and take photos at the same time, I stopped caring about my time then.

Last edited:
Back