M78 and Barnards Loop

Name
Sara
Edit My Images
Yes
M78 is is the blue reflection nebula in the centre of the frame and Barnards loop is the red / pink area to the left of the frame.

The nebula Messier 78 (also known as M78 or NGC 2068) is a reflection nebula in the constellation Orion. It was discovered by Pierre Méchain in 1780. Barnards loop is a massive emmission nebula, thought to be the result of a supernova about 2 million years ago.

This was taken on my dual rig, so a pair of the same scope and same camera sensor..... so in 4 hours I can get 8 hours of data... That sort of thing! It's a fantastic way to maximise imaging time!!

There's a mixture of exposure times here depending on the filters, from 30 minutes to 5 minutes. All in all there's 47.5 hours of total exposure time.

You can read more about the area on my website http://www.swagastro.com/m78.html and see a larger res image. This is a long way from my comfort zone.... so I felt the best way to proceed was just to throw a lot of imaging time at it.

M78 and some of Barnards Loop by Sara Wager, on Flickr

This is a long way from my comfort zone....

It's even further from us on Earth!!! :p

As always, fabulous and thanks again for sharing, Sara.

Thanks Nod! Thank you for your kind words...... Interestingly this one doesn't seem to have gone down as well with 'lay people' as my other images, and yet this was probably one of my biggest accomplishment images ..... Funny how that goes :)

Well that's impressive, not really sure what else to say other than stunning capture...

Us lay people have no real idea of your achievment Sara, personaly I'm in awe of all your shots, thankyou for showing us.
:agree: plus seeing things like this adds to my extreme awe of the universe, of which this illustrates a very tiny part.

Thanks to you all for looking and commenting - This is a really different type of processing to what I normally do, in that it's 'real' colours and so there's little to no leeway for creativity!

Excellent, thanks for sharing (y)

Another beauty, your skill and patience is becoming legend around here.

Mind blowing! For me, just laying down looking up at a starry sky can be a very philosophical experience. Looking at your shots like this is the same thing on the next level!

Back