Maastricht at Dawn

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
Ive just downloaded the free trial of Lightroom to see if I can use it better than Elements.
It appears quicker to process photos but im just twiddling with the slider wotsits :D

Can someone advise when there is a need to add clarity and vibrance please.
What do they do??

PS Looks like i need to clean my sensor. Another thing i know nothing about. :thinking:
Cheers
Alan

Maastricht Dawn by Alan Stokes, on Flickr

There are some very useful youtube videos that would help bring you up to speed in a few hours. Clarity alters local contrast - boost if an image appears a little soft or misty, reduce if an image appears hard or harsh and for flattering skin tones. Vibrance and saturation both boost the colours but in slightly different ways, with vibrance affecting some colours more than others, possibly adding a little luminance as well, while saturation has a flatter, more even effect. Use vibrance on a dull image to make it pop a little, but be sparing because it's very very easy to add too much.

View attachment 108410 lots of blue there old chap...initially try to practice cropping so as to emphasise what i take is the subject
its clear and sharp...and for some people a bad memory

i use lightroom for the excellent control over tones...and the light and dark bit as well
the sharpening available is good...and i have found out how to use it thanks to Toni above...no not in heaven...nods to A_M
what i do which it probably totally un necessesary in good work is to go over the shot with burn and dodge in ps 2
that then gives you local effects especially to bring up some slightly low illuminated detail
cheers
geof

Last edited:
There are some very useful youtube videos that would help bring you up to speed in a few hours. Clarity alters local contrast - boost if an image appears a little soft or misty, reduce if an image appears hard or harsh and for flattering skin tones. Vibrance and saturation both boost the colours but in slightly different ways, with vibrance affecting some colours more than others, possibly adding a little luminance as well, while saturation has a flatter, more even effect. Use vibrance on a dull image to make it pop a little, but be sparing because it's very very easy to add too much.

Absolutely brilliant. Thank you for that. Really appreciate the knowledge

Thanks
Alan

View attachment 108410 lots of blue there old chap...initially try to practice cropping so as to emphasise what i take is the subject
its clear and sharp...and for some people a bad memory

i use lightroom for the excellent control over tones...and the light and dark bit as well
the sharpening available is good...and i have found out how to use it thanks to Toni above...no not in heaven...nods to A_M
what i do which it probably totally un necessesary in good work is to go over the shot with burn and dodge in ps 2
that then gives you local effects especially to bring up some slightly low illuminated detail
cheers
geof

Thank you Geof

I couldn't figure out why it was so blue from the camera. Sequential images were either very, very blue, slightly blue and even a touch warm. I guessed this was due to the different shutter speeds I was trying.

I'm certainly finding light room faster and easier to use

Thanks
Alan

Back