Mac drivers for Samsung ML-1510 Laser Printer?

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
I've picked up a couple of cheap iMacs (first time user!) but I can't get my Samsung ML-1510 laser printer to work with them.
I've tried sourcing a Mac driver but have not has any success, it works great on my Windows laptop but I would like to use it with the iMacs.
Can anyone help sourcing a driver please?

I've picked up a couple of cheap iMacs (first time user!) but I can't get my Samsung ML-1510 laser printer to work with them.
I've tried sourcing a Mac driver but have not has any success, it works great on my Windows laptop but I would like to use it with the iMacs.
Can anyone help sourcing a driver please?
I used to use the same printer and I‘m fairly sure I used a “CUPS“ printer driver with it — the Splix you mention is based on that. I think there are various Samsung drivers claimed to work but none did (reliably) for me. Possibly the best way for you may be to leave it attached to your Windows machine and use it over the network.

I used to use the same printer and I‘m fairly sure I used a “CUPS“ printer driver with it — the Splix you mention is based on that. I think there are various Samsung drivers claimed to work but none did (reliably) for me. Possibly the best way for you may be to leave it attached to your Windows machine and use it over the network.

Yes I've found Splix and Cups but having downloaded both I have no idea what to do with them, no apparant installer file as far as I can see, just random files and nothing to 'glue' them together ... annoying to not be able to use it.

Yes I've found Splix and Cups but having downloaded both I have no idea what to do with them, no apparant installer file as far as I can see, just random files and nothing to 'glue' them together ... annoying to not be able to use it.
Sorry (I’m like you, just trial error) and at the moment I can’t recall the details — may come back to me :(. I know I never got a reliable proper Samsung driver to work -- sometimes did, still think network is the way to go if your laptop is nearby & on. Somebody else may chime in.

When I used a MacBook for work it was fine with Leopard 10.5 and a Samsung printer, but moving to Snow Leper 10.6 killed printing. If you're running OSX 10.6 there's probably no easy fix.

Have you tried a generic PCL printer driver? There's usually something like that in most printing systems. Think I had to do that with my Samsung printer as there just weren't any drivers then.

Well just about at a dead end, it seems that Samsung printers were taken over and thern not supported by HP.
I've found numerous dead-end trails, download links that have no content, possible drivers that just don't work and opensource options that I have no idea even where to start to give them a try. Sadly I think it's the end of the road and the laptop can't be put away just yet ... SWMBO isn't going to be happy with the clutter! :oops: :$

Well just about at a dead end, it seems that Samsung printers were taken over and thern not supported by HP.

That is indeed correct or at least the second part. Newer Samsung printers can still get their latest drivers from HP directly. That's is how my M2825 can still work with the latest OSX.

If your printer is over 8 years old, or 8 years since EOL they can legally no longer provide any service. Which is what they do like many other companies. For example you have no chance of running a perfectly capable Canon IPF8300 with the latest intel mac, let alone the M1. Oh, and if you have a certain 12-13 macs you can no longer get the new OS either.... It is called planned obsolescence.

If you are lucky and your printer comes with wireless and cloud print you may work something out or perhaps try the generic drivers. A basic laser printer has a chance, particularly if it can print from linux out of the box.

Another idea is perhaps to set it up as a network printer from windows machine. It is worth investigating.

Last edited:
I've found numerous dead-end trails, download links that have no content, possible drivers that just don't work and opensource options that I have no idea even where to start to give them a try. Sadly I think it's the end of the road and the laptop can't be put away just yet ... SWMBO isn't going to be happy with the clutter! :oops: :$
Sorry, I missed the bit about wanting to put the laptop away, though it could be anywhere as long as it’s on the network. CUPS (which is by Apple as far as I know) is still the way to go I think. You may have to paste something into Terminal to activate it once you’ve downloaded.

Sorry, I missed the bit about wanting to put the laptop away, though it could be anywhere as long as it’s on the network. CUPS (which is by Apple as far as I know) is still the way to go I think. You may have to paste something into Terminal to activate it once you’ve downloaded.

Unfortunately that's beyond my pay grade! :(
Annoying as I've got a perfectly good laser printer and two spare toner replacements.

Unfortunately that's beyond my pay grade! :(
Annoying as I've got a perfectly good laser printer and two spare toner replacements.
Its above mine too but I’ve done it successfully in the past. Unfortunatel I haven’t found any really clear instructions for it currently. @Box Brownie ’s suggestion above looks like it works, but costs maybe £35 for a TP-link version :(.

Possibly to use a Printer Server

AFAIK they all/some of them drive the printer do that the individual computers don't have to have a driver?

Its above mine too but I’ve done it successfully in the past. Unfortunatel I haven’t found any really clear instructions for it currently. @Box Brownie ’s suggestion above looks like it works, but costs maybe £35 for a TP-link version :(.

I don't have an issue with £35 for the device, I would just like to be sure that it could interface effectively between the iMac and the Samsung ... my problem is that with fairly extensive searching around people with the same problem I haven't found anyone that has said that this solved their problem and I would have thought it would be out there somewhere if it did. How can the print server print with the Samsung without the drivers?

The Wikipedia article on CUPS is worth a read. Lots more practical advice than is sometimes the case: CUPS - Wikipedia
Unfortunately, for me, that is like diving into treacle ... obviously a lot of information but it is meaningless to me, I have no idea what it is talking about or how to use it to solve my problem. :(
Not that I don't appreciate your help, I do ... just that it's past my limits.

Found this:

However downloading all the links to supposed drivers they show in the iMac as 'documents' and only one can be chosen to install (the rest are greyed out) and when trying to setup the Samsung to use it the iMac says it's not installed properly ... then no application available to install it.

Unfortunately, for me, that is like diving into treacle ... obviously a lot of information but it is meaningless to me, I have no idea what it is talking about or how to use it to solve my problem. :(
Not that I don't appreciate your help, I do ... just that it's past my limits.

I have found the driver I used on my old Samsung printer - it is a pkg file called "Splix-2.0.0-2" and I have noted "This Splix 2.0 driver works on OS X 10.9 Mavericks".

I have found the driver I used on my old Samsung printer - it is a pkg file called "Splix-2.0.0-2" and I have noted "This Splix 2.0 driver works on OS X 10.9 Mavericks".
I'm on High Sierra ... do you have a download link or could you email it for me to try?

This should be the site but I cannot see a download (on iPad) :
http://guigo.us/mac/splix/ driver?

But this seems to work:

http://cl.ly/3d2s1x2Y051X/download/Splix-1.1.1.zip
http://cl.ly/2A1A0c160P27/download/Splix-2.0.0.zip

I have seen a note that says “Splix stems not to install but in fact does” so if that happens it may be worth looking to install a printer in System Preferences.

There is also this but I guess this may be no good since it only goes up to Mavericks:

Theres a lot of helpful info in this thread:
but it may be above your pay grade too :(.

I still have the pkg file so could send it to you if downloads don't work.

First 2 downloads I get a warning that threy are incompatible, 3rd I already have but it doesn't support the ML-1510.
I'll PM you :)

It occurs to me you might get more suggestions if you start a thread with CUPS printing & Samsung printer on Mac in the subject line. It’s more a problem for people who understand computers & Unix generally.

It occurs to me you might get more suggestions if you start a thread with CUPS printing & Samsung printer on Mac in the subject line. It’s more a problem for people who understand computers & Unix generally.
I think I might try macrumours and see if anyone ever resolved the problem :)

Back