MacBook to iPad Pro

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
Has anyone manage to give up their MacBook and purely use a iPad Pro for editing and everything else?

If so how you feel pls?

Not computer wise I don’t in fact I’ve settled on camera now

Since my MacBook died I’m going to try this
Not that I do much pp or anything that’s difficult

No, I tried for 5 years and went back to a MacBook, although things may have improved now. I still prefer the laptop form factor and crucially operating system for how I work.

I use the iPad but only because I do virtually no editing these days,I also feel happy using it for surfing for watching tv listening to radio reading and playing games and using the pencil for some art work.
I still like my Mac for the larger view sometimes but am using it less and less,when it dies I won’t get another and will quite happily exclusively use the pad.
However if I was heavily into photo editing then I think I would prefer the Mac because of its larger screen and that’s about it

That's always going to be subjective and dependant on the task at hand!

For me, for photography, it is. It does everything I want to do in a way that works well for me (in regard to photography, where the pen is my main interface!).
As a developer, nope, it's too limiting in too many ways to go into.

My main use in photography is import, curves, crop / rotate etc, and the occasional spot removal and local adjustment followed by export to something like Facebook for the family to see if they want. That's it now, so there are many many apps on the store that do all that very well. Most of the time I just use the Fuji JPG rather than the raw, but if I do need the raw file LR Mobile works just fine (as does Affinity if you want to take it further).

If I wanted to do something else, I'd probably pop onto the Desktop, but I haven't in the past year or so. I really like the handheld form with the pencil for the editing, and the fact I can sit in the living room, with the fire crackling away with the Mrs while doing so, rather than being away in the office on my tod.

If I had to choose one therefore, I would have to choose the MacBook as it's the only one what meets all my use cases, but luckily I don't - work give me the MacBook Pro, so I'm at liberty to choose what I want for my hobby :)

Totally agree with the above post. I know spend less time on the iMac editing than I have ever done
With the combination of fantastic jpegs and this iPad it beats sitting upstairs any day

Loving my iPad Pro what software you use?

I have.

I’ve gone from a 27” 5k iMac to a MacBook Pro to a 1st Gen 12.9” iPad Pro to a 10.5” iPad Pro, and now to the 2nd Gen 12.9” iPad Pro.

Most of the time the iMac was just sitting there doing nothing. It is so much better to use the iPad and Pencil to edit images.

I will get the 3rd Gen 12.9” iPad Pro at some point.

I use Lightroom CC and the Affinity apps for editing. I use Pixelrights for my website, and it is web based so works fine.

I use the iPad Pro for web browsing, banking, Apple Music and other media consumption.

So, I’m fully happy with just the iPad Pro. It works fine for me.

Ta,
Shane.

I've just moved on my Second Gen iPad Pro 12.9 but during a period of about 4 months where I was without a laptop/desktop it pretty much did the job, was great for editing (Lightroom CC & Affinity Photo) - and fantastic for media, browsing, etc.

It only really fell down when needing to download anything or move files around - I've moved mine on as I really need a Windows based machine for work now.

Has anyone manage to give up their MacBook and purely use a iPad Pro for editing and everything else?

If so how you feel pls?
Okay for a bit of fun. But by no means a replacement. It's lighter when weight is an issue. The software is (currently) less capable. But it can give you a feel a to how you may wish to finally process your images.

I think you can do it especially if you're mainly sharing to web, but I expect there would be some frustrations. Getting your images onto it may be one and as far as I know you can only edit Jpegs. Having said that once your files are there you could use SnapSeed to edit which really is enjoyable to use. Maybe it just depends what you want from your photography and your expectations, if you're a serious photographer I still think desktop would be better, though not as fun.

I think you can do it especially if you're mainly sharing to web, but I expect there would be some frustrations. Getting your images onto it may be one and as far as I know you can only edit Jpegs. Having said that once your files are there you could use SnapSeed to edit which really is enjoyable to use. Maybe it just depends what you want from your photography and your expectations, if you're a serious photographer I still think desktop would be better, though not as fun.

You can edit raw files and LR mobile is really rather powerful nowadays, the only thing I miss is stitching landscapes and better export options (like quality, naming etc). You can use Affinity for stitching and HDR do it is possible.

I can edit a whole trips worth of photos on my iPad without much hassle.

The only thing is you need to buy an iPad with enough memory to store a trips worth of photos, which gets quite pricey.

If you aren't using the cloud services to move files around, then obviously the Camera Connection Kit works a dream for SD Cards. I use a RAVPOWER FileHub Plus to connect to external HDDs.

The workflow of editing with an iPad Pro really isn't awkward.

Back