macro mode or manual mode

Name
gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Newbie here to macro photography, i mainly shoot birds with my d7200 and 600mm lens, but my older body a d5200 was gathering dust so i decided to use that body for macro and bought the Tamron af 18-200 macro lens. Watching loads of you tube videos i was getting more hooked. Being a wildlife lover it offered new adventures. I went out in the garden and got test shots then remembered i got a Raynox 250 put that on and wow loved it apart from the depth of field. I ordered me a shoeshoe flash, softbox and a set of extension tubes on the way. But on my camera body is a macro mode which i couldn't change the settings so went into manual and got results that way so whats the difference ?
Im shooting in auto iso , what shutter speeds do i use it was 1/1250 - 2000 for my birds in flight but what about insects say a bee on a flower moving around was was thing about rule of thumbs and setting it to 500 being a dx body. So much to cover in my first post any help please guys......thanks in advance.

Newbie here to macro photography, i mainly shoot birds with my d7200 and 600mm lens, but my older body a d5200 was gathering dust so i decided to use that body for macro and bought the Tamron af 18-200 macro lens. Watching loads of you tube videos i was getting more hooked. Being a wildlife lover it offered new adventures. I went out in the garden and got test shots then remembered i got a Raynox 250 put that on and wow loved it

Welcome to the fascinating world of small things. :)

If that is the Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Macro Lens then it isn't what most people would regard as a macro lens, as for most of us a macro lens is a lens that lets you get an image on the sensor which is the same size as the subject. This is known as 1:1 magnification, or 1x magnification. That lens has (it says here) a maximum magnification of 0.27x, which is much less than 1:1.

However, with the Raynox 250 on the 18-200 you may well get to 1:1. You can tell what the maximum magnification is with the Raynox 250 on the 18-200 by putting the focal length at 200 and photographing the millimetre markings on a ruler from as close as you can get to it and still get a sharp image. If you can get down to 24mm or less, then you are at 1:1 or more.

apart from the depth of field.

Depth of field is always an issue with close-up/macro no matter what equipment you use. The greater the magnification, the less the depth of field.

I ordered me a shoeshoe flash, softbox and a set of extension tubes on the way.

You may find extension tubes don't help much with the 18-200 and Raynox. Extension tubes work best with shorter focal lengths. Close-up lenses like the Raynox 250 work best on longer lenses, so the longer end of the 18-200 should be fine. You may be getting some vignetting with the shorter focal lengths.

But on my camera body is a macro mode which i couldn't change the settings so went into manual and got results that way so whats the difference ?

I don't know what macro mode does on the d5200 but with the setup you are using (close-up lens on a zoom lens) you just set the camera as for ordinary use.

Im shooting in auto iso , what shutter speeds do i use it was 1/1250 - 2000 for my birds in flight but what about insects say a bee on a flower moving around was was thing about rule of thumbs and setting it to 500 being a dx body.

If you are using flash, and the flash is providing the majority of the light, then the shutter speed isn't too important because the effective shutter speed is the length of the flash pulse which will probably be shorter than 1/1000 sec anyway. You can set the camera to the flash sync speed (1/200 sec on the d5200 I think). The only reason to use a slower shutter speed is if you want natural light to provide more of the lighting in order to stop the background being so dark.

If you are using natural light then use the fastest shutter speed you can for the aperture you want to use. The smaller the aperture you use, the larger the depth of field will be. But as the aperture gets smaller you lose more sharpness/detail from diffraction. Many people go for an aperture of around f/11 or so on APS-C dSLRs to get a balance between depth of field and diffraction. Having decided on the aperture you then want the shutter speed to be as fast as practical. How fast that will be depends on how high an ISO you are prepared to use. Here too there is a balance between the sharpness you gain from a higher shutter speed versus the sharpness you lose from using a higher ISO. Close-up/macro has a number of trade-offs like this, and part of the skill in it is learning where to pitch the trade-offs in different shooting conditions.

You might want to try f/11 and ISO 800 for example and work up and down from there.

If using natural light, especially if the light is not very bright, you may do better to support the camera in some way to let you use slower shutter speeds than practical for working hand-held. There are more trade-offs there. For example, using a tripod you may miss shots while you are setting up the shot. On the other hand, you may be able to get beautiful shots (e.g. in the early morning of dew-covered insects) at slow shutter speeds that wouldn't be practical hand-held, and with wonderful light which you would not get when using flash.

Post some shots here. Ask questions. Enjoy!

Hmm, I just noticed that we don't have a Talk macro and close up section only a Macro and close up photo section. How's that for an Idea?

Thanks for your help Gardenershelper it was a great start and got answers i needed. So i bought a crap lens for macro, i read that the kit lens 18-55 with extension tubes can get me macro 1.1 is that true? would it be better than the tamron. Should i sell the tamron and get the 90mm macro version.
The raynox is great piece of kit but as you say is shows alot of vignetting and having to crop alot in to get a decent picture. Plus can be a pain keep putting it on and off.
As i always shoot hand held when im out shutter speed is important and sometimes hard to workout what with the wildlife been so small.At the moment im using auto iso maybe i should take your advise and go to manual 800 and put my flash on.
Its the wrong time of year for insects and so finding them is a challenge. But thought by summer i will have a better understanding of macro photography.

Thanks for your help Gardenershelper it was a great start and got answers i needed.

Good. :)

So i bought a crap lens for macro,

No, apart from the vignetting it should work fine with the Raynox. For example, here are some photos captured with a Canon 70D and 55-250 lens with a close-up lens on it (possibly a Raynox 250, but probably a Raynox 150 which is less powerful than the Raynox 250).

These are natural light shots.
The first used ISO 100, f/29 and a shutter speed of 1/2 sec using a tripod and remote release.
The second used ISO 200, f/32 and a shutter speed of 1/3 sec using a tripod and remote release.
The third one used ISO 800, f/22 and a shutter speed of 1/15 sec. Because I was tracking this moving subject I would have had both hands on the camera for this one. At that shutter speed I would have been using the ground or the tripod to provide some support and damp down the hand-shake.

0552 011 Yellow Dung Fly (Scathophaga stercoraria) (male) 2014_04_09 IMG_3447-Edit-2 PS1 PSS3
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

0552 046 Myopa 2014_04_09 IMG_3579-Edit-2 PS1 PSS3

0549 58 2014_04_06 Banded Snail (Cepaea) IMG_2541-Edit PS1 PSS3.75Hi

i read that the kit lens 18-55 with extension tubes can get me macro 1.1 is that true?

Probably, but from the measurements I have just done I don't think I would go down that route.

With my 70D, and a full set of extension tubes (68mm total) with my 18-55, with the lens at 55mm, I can get from a scene width of 18mm wide (a bit beyond 1:1) at a working distance of around 50 mm, to a scene width of about 11mm (around 2:1) at a working distance of around 25mm. These are really short working distances and extremely difficult to work with.

If I reduce the focal length on the 18-55 I can't get very far away from 55mm before I can't focus at all because I can't get close enough. In fact, by 35mm or so the focusing is actually inside the lens!

In contrast, with a Raynox 250 on a 55-250 on my 70D (no extension tubes) I can get from a scene width of 50mm wide (about 1:2) at a working distance of around 115mm, to a scene width of around 13mm (almost 2:1) at a working distance of around 95mm. (These are the sort of working distances I get with the Raynox 250 on whatever camera/lens I use it.) That is a much wider range of magnification at a working distance that is far easier to work with.

A macro lens would give you a reasonable working distance too. For example, on my 70D my Sigma 105 Macro has a working distance of around 130mm at its maximum magnification of 1:1. How much working distance you get with a macro lens depends on the focal length (longer focal length, bigger working distance, but heavier lens) and on the lens.

would it be better than the tamron. Should i sell the tamron and get the 90mm macro version.

People will have different views on that. I am prejudiced because I use close-up lenses almost all the time. You might do best though to get a macro lens in the 90 to 105 mm range (good compromise between working distance and weight) and use extension tubes and/or your Raynox 250 when you want more magnification. If, in addition to a macro lens, you have both the Raynox and extension tubes you can experiment to see whether you prefer using extension tubes or the Raynox to get more magnification. As you get better at macro (it gets more difficult as the magnification goes up) you could use both the extension tubes and the Raynox to get even more magnification.

Hopefully some others will chip in to give some views and advice on this as I'm not familiar with that sort of setup, the practicalities, issues and equipment options. (One of the things about close-up/macro is that there is often more than one way of doing something, and the only way to really find out what works best for you is to try various options.)

The raynox is great piece of kit but as you say is shows alot of vignetting and having to crop alot in to get a decent picture.

That depends on what lens you use it on. For example, on the 55-250 on my 70D there is no vignetting when using the Raynox 250.

Plus can be a pain keep putting it on and off.

It may be even more of a pain to take extension tubes on and off. Doing that exposes your sensor to dust etc. At least with a close-up lens you don't have that issue. And you can get pretty quick about taking a close-up lens on and off, and for that matter with taking extension tubes on and off. Close-up/macro rewards practice so you can do these things smoothly and quickly.

As i always shoot hand held when im out shutter speed is important and sometimes hard to workout what with the wildlife been so small.At the moment im using auto iso maybe i should take your advise and go to manual 800 and put my flash on.

That is something you need to experiment with to find out what works best for you, both in terms of being able to get good looking images and also in terms of how comfortable you are with how the equipment handles (and that is something that can change a lot with practice - to start with some of this stuff may seem to be next to impossible. Don't worry. With practice it gets a lot, lot easier.)

Its the wrong time of year for insects and so finding them is a challenge. But thought by summer i will have a better understanding of macro photography.

Yes, finding insects is a problem now. But there are all sorts of other small things around that you can practice on, indoors and out. While you are familiarising yourself with your equipment and with the techniques and options for close-up/macro it doesn't matter too much what you use by way of subjects.

Thanks for your help and time into explaining things guess I should get out there and practice and see how I get on. No doubt I will asking more questions soon thanks...

The 18-200 is too much of a compromise lens imo and that for pretty much any usage not just macro

Have look here https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/we-need-you-in-draft-want-to-get-into-macro.551944/

It is up to you what you want to use in terms of lens but in camera macro mode is hardly likely to help you progress. A macro lens is ultimatyely the best way to go if you can afford it and are prepared to pay for it.

I regularly use a Sigma 105 tubes and a Raynox 250

Last edited:
ok guys done the ruler test today and results where quite shocking
the 18-55 kit lens with all 3 extension tubes went to 20mm
the 18-55 kit lens with all 3 extension tubes and raynox 250 went to 14mm
the 18- 200 on its own went only to 75mm
the 18-200 with raynox went to 30mm with vignetting
the 18-200 with 3 extension tubes 26mm
the 18-200 with extension tubes and raynox was 19mm
so overall i got the best from my kit lens with tubes and raynox for distance, but best image quality off 18-200 with extension tubes and raynox was 19mm but was lens heavy. Think im gonna stick with the kit lens method till i can get a proper macro lens

ok guys done the ruler test today and results where quite shocking
the 18-55 kit lens with all 3 extension tubes went to 20mm
the 18-55 kit lens with all 3 extension tubes and raynox 250 went to 14mm
the 18- 200 on its own went only to 75mm
the 18-200 with raynox went to 30mm with vignetting
the 18-200 with 3 extension tubes 26mm
the 18-200 with extension tubes and raynox was 19mm
so overall i got the best from my kit lens with tubes and raynox for distance, but best image quality off 18-200 with extension tubes and raynox was 19mm but was lens heavy. Think im gonna stick with the kit lens method till i can get a proper macro lens

Good work. Nice to see such a clear, concise report of results.

With the Raynox on the 18-200 did you get vignetting even at full zoom when you got 30mm scene width? Or was the vignetting only when you were at the wide end?

Back