A Bumble bee coming in to landnot as sharp as I would like

Bumble bee_ by Alf Branch, on Flickr

An Ichneumonid wasp

Ichneumon wasp by Alf Branch, on Flickr

A hover fly

Hover fly by Alf Branch, on Flickr

A rather small Icneumonid wasp

Ichneumon wasp by Alf Branch, on Flickr

A poor shot of a massive fly a Tachina grossa about 20mm long shot at 300mm and cropped

Tachina grossa by Alf Branch, on Flickr

An OK shot of a couple of thick headed flies

Thick headed flies by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Last edited:
Very nice, do you think that it is the same as this ichumenon wasp?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/14586608@N08/34255901383/in/album-72157683861948485/

It was from a pupa on bramble sadly I don't think even it can be identified from a photo. The hoverfly is the best photo, I think they are probably one of the best insects to photograph as can often be identified and are less camera shy than bees and butterflies.

A lovely set Alf and I think the Longhorn bumped into you on purpose to wake you up lol
I like the " Miridae Leptopterna dolabrata" and friend.

Nice set Alf. My picks are 1 and 6. Ive yet to get the elusive Bee in flight.

Thanks Leroy

Love the second bee pic.

Thanks Mike

Very nice, do you think that it is the same as this ichumenon wasp?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/14586608@N08/34255901383/in/album-72157683861948485/

It was from a pupa on bramble sadly I don't think even it can be identified from a photo. The hoverfly is the best photo, I think they are probably one of the best insects to photograph as can often be identified and are less camera shy than bees and butterflies.

Thanks David
Have a look here for Ichneumonid ID not easy
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/content/dam/nh...nature/british-ichneumonid-wasps-id-guide.pdf

I disgree about hover flies are very common and photographed so often that I find I perefer other subjects especially not frequently shot subjects

Good selection of bugs Alf - nice id on the bug.

Thanks Chris

A lovely set Alf and I think the Longhorn bumped into you on purpose to wake you up lol
I like the " Miridae Leptopterna dolabrata" and friend.

Thanks Graham
Maybe I was not paying attention to the longhorn.

I agree with Alf about the hoverflies. They're good for practicing on. But they're so common they get a bit dull.
I meant best as in the sense easiest not best as not as best as in the most attractive shot which is of course another matter. Saying that your hoverflies photos can be used for something useful (the hoverfly survey) while I don't think (please correct me if i am wrong) this is true for anything else. Woodlice are even more common but I normally just do them in the winter.

I meant best as in the sense easiest not best as not as best as in the most attractive shot which is of course another matter. Saying that your hoverflies photos can be used for something useful (the hoverfly survey) while I don't think (please correct me if i am wrong) this is true for anything else. Woodlice are even more common but I normally just do them in the winter.

I get your point David.
Though saying that I was after a hover today (that I missed) as it was a large on that I do not remember seeing before

Last edited:
Nice set Alf. (You are finding more variety than I am.)

The first one in each post jumped out at me. The other one that stood out for me was the miridae with aphid - nice combination, composition, clarity and colours.

I thought the mating flies image was pretty good too. I suppose the hoverfly has slightly better DoF coverage (I'm looking at the heads of the mating flies) and very nice fine detail (especially seen over at Flickr), but a bit central in the frame perhaps?

Nice set Alf. (You are finding more variety than I am.)

The first one in each post jumped out at me. The other one that stood out for me was the miridae with aphid - nice combination, composition, clarity and colours.

I thought the mating flies image was pretty good too. I suppose the hoverfly has slightly better DoF coverage (I'm looking at the heads of the mating flies) and very nice fine detail (especially seen over at Flickr), but a bit central in the frame perhaps?

Thanks for the comments Nick
The mating flies is a natural light shot grabbed when out on a walking along the shore of Ennerdale water switching from landscape mode to macro after spotting them with my wife waiting for me.

Back