Macro water drop/ splash

I can help you there -

Place a pencil in the bowl where the drop lands, focus on the pencil ( manual focus is best) and have your camera on a tripod, remove the pencil and hey presto you are focused on where the drop will land- using an off camera flash and a pastel coloured background and food colouring in the dropper can produce some stunning images, have a play with positioning of the flash too

Like these I did during lockdown - have fun :)

Mono conversion for a print for a client's office

V5CNOf5.jpg

Flash under the glass bowl
2bpcgtB.jpg

Flash shot from the front of subject
VXrFaEP.jpg

Les

Last edited by a moderator:
I can help you there -

Place a pencil in the bowl where the drop lands, focus on the pencil ( manual focus is best) and have your camera on a tripod, remove the pencil and hey presto you are focused on where the drop will land- using an off camera flash and a pastel coloured background and food colouring in the dropper can produce some stunning images, have a play with positioning of the flash too

V5CNOf5.jpg

2bpcgtB.jpg

VXrFaEP.jpg

Les
Thank you!

I can help you there -

V5CNOf5.jpg

2bpcgtB.jpg

VXrFaEP.jpg

Les
I can't seem to make things in focus with my Raynox snap on macro. I've tried again with more lights this time, but i can't catch the splashes because the focal point is so small that it hardly takes anything in.

Using a Raynox will give you a very shallow depth of field, plus depending on which one( 250 or 150) you have to get really close. What lens do you have the Raynox on? If you have a standard lens at it’s closest focus, that’ll do the job. Then crop in post. You’ll get more keepers and a better working distance.

I can't seem to make things in focus with my Raynox snap on macro. I've tried again with more lights this time, but i can't catch the splashes because the focal point is so small that it hardly takes anything in.

I should have said- I used a dedicated macro lens for the above images- for me it's the only way to go

Les :)

Using a Raynox will give you a very shallow depth of field, plus depending on which one( 250 or 150) you have to get really close. What lens do you have the Raynox on? If you have a standard lens at it’s closest focus, that’ll do the job. Then crop in post. You’ll get more keepers and a better working distance.
Regular 70-300mm lens will work?

Back