Made some tweaks to my shed/hide and I am chuffed with the results - Great Tit fledglings

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
I spent a lot of time recently fixing up the hide in my shed and still struggling to get results, but the latest change seems to have done the job. I have removed the plastic camo net that I was using to cover the hatch at is rustles when I move the camera, and replaced it with black speaker grill cloth. I can see through it easily while the birds can't see me, and most of all it it silent.

I set out this morning to try and catch the blue tit family that left my nest box a couple of days ago, but instead was greeted by another family of great tits and have finally started getting the sort of images from the reflection pool that I had been hoping for.

20210608Image-014 by David Walker, on Flickr

20210608Image-001 by David Walker, on Flickr

20210608Image-013 by David Walker, on Flickr

20210608Image-004 by David Walker, on Flickr

20210608Image-009 by David Walker, on Flickr

20210608Image-015 by David Walker, on Flickr

Looking good :)

PS a couple of quick questions about the hide ~ I would welcome a picture of two showing your shed hide setup and how you have arranged the reflection pool plus which direction are looking i.e. west. east etc?

TIA

Nice set- I wish sometimes I had built a garden hide

Les :)

Looking good :)

PS a couple of quick questions about the hide ~ I would welcome a picture of two showing your shed hide setup and how you have arranged the reflection pool plus which direction are looking i.e. west. east etc?

TIA
Thank you.

I have a thread up here with plenty of photos of my hide, recent updates at the end of page 2.
My garden is pretty small which doesn't give me much freedom to arrange things quite as I would like, but countering that I have no one bordering the back of my garden.
Directly behind the fence is a stream, the other side of that is some inaccessible scrub land which is teaming with birds and a nature reserve beyond that. The hide is West facing. Over the last couple of years I have been trying to make our garden more bird friendly and is starting to take shape and I also regularly tidy up the banks of the stream.

A few years ago the council came along with an excavator and dredged the stream and completely removed all the vegetation from the banks in the process, since then it has been a struggle to keep the stream clear as all the quick growing brambles and bind weed took over and smothered it. Before then it wasn't unusual to get kingfishers in the garden! But I think I am starting to win the battle now, the stream is fairly clear and accessible while still having plenty of cover available on the far side, fish have returned and on a couple of occasions recently I have seen what I think was an egret perched up in one of the big trees not too far away.

This is my little garden, but as you can see plenty of wild land beyond, just need to tease them out.
20210608_103740.jpg

This time of year the rose goes mental so there is good cover both sides of the stream.
20210608_103802.jpg

This is behind my fence where I have set up the pool and feeders on the bank.
20210608_104051.jpg

And my little hidy-hole.
20210608_104223.jpg

@bass_junkie83

Dave

Thanks for that extra........I do recall your other thread now :LOL: with my thinking it was newer I think I lost the plot somewhere along the way :thinking:

You have a great outlook and wildlife beneficial situation ~ me jealous.....no not me :wave: I/we would love to have a similar 'setting'.

Gotta love the Gimbal bolted to a post :)

@bass_junkie83

Dave

Thanks for that extra........I do recall your other thread now :LOL: with my thinking it was newer I think I lost the plot somewhere along the way :thinking:

You have a great outlook and wildlife beneficial situation ~ me jealous.....no not me :wave: I/we would love to have a similar 'setting'.
It was a big reasone we ended up buying this house. Two kids later and it is starting to feel a bit cramped, but finding anywhere larger in a similar setting is way out of our price range so I need to make the most of it while I can. :LOL:

Gotta love the Gimbal bolted to a post :)
It was cheaper than buying another tripod! I think I need to also add some wheels or sliding rail to it now so that I can pan left-right as the material I am shooting through doesn't allow as much movement as I had hoped.

What with the changes to TP and the not infrequent threads of 'wildlife hides making & development' I am starting to wonder if "these" should be forum stickies under their own sub fora. Such a sub fora will likely never be massive but for sure informative and encouraging :)

@Cobra would that be something to think about???

What with the changes to TP and the not infrequent threads of 'wildlife hides making & development' I am starting to wonder if "these" should be forum stickies under their own sub fora. Such a sub fora will likely never be massive but for sure informative and encouraging :)

Just sticky @Dale. 's thread, that was my inspiration and I still have a long way to go to get those kind of images. :)

Just sticky @Dale. 's thread, that was my inspiration and I still have a long way to go to get those kind of images. :)

Thank you for the kind words. I'm happy my thread has been helpful.

I haven't spent much time in mine lately as I've been putting hours and hours into the kingfishers with very little results. I have still be topping up the feeders every day though and the birds are still coming in. My hide needs a lick of paint just now and 2 perspex panels replacing, I just need the time to do it.

I will be back out there soon though and updating my thread.

Glad to see yours progressing too.

Last edited:
I am starting to wonder if "these" should be forum stickies under their own sub fora. Such a sub fora will likely never be massive but for sure informative and encouraging :)

We are aiming to reduce the amount of forums / sub forums not increase,
But I see no reason why such posts can't be merged and made a sticky, if all concerned are in favour.

We are aiming to reduce the amount of forums / sub forums not increase,
But I see no reason why such posts can't be merged and made a sticky, if all concerned are in favour.

Ah! I see what mean re: more sub fora ;)

As for merging two different threads??? I surmise provided they don't lose their individual 'identities' but become a common discussion space it does sound like an idea :thinking:

Back