Magazines and sharpness of pictures.

squizza

Eeyore
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys

I have been a subscriber of BBC wildlife magazine, but have noticed throughout other magazines too that pictures sometimes aren't partiucularly sharp. For examlple, some of what I have seen, I have had similar instances where I've written those images off - the images are too cropped, or the focus isn't on the eye for example, or the shot is slightly blurry, but they still end up getting published.

Wondered what your thoughts on this was?

Thanks in advance

Kind regards

Sarah

My thoughts on this is that they can license images too cheaply to get real photography any more. Same as most magazines.

I don't think that is true for BBC Wildlife who tend to have very high standards. Many of the images are of rare occurances and so may be the only options available that illustrate a particular behaviour. I think for simple portraits, you'll struggle to find anything that is soft.

The other thing is that reproduction can have a big impact. My own pictures last week used by the Sun and Mail had different processing applied following resizing. The impact was that the pictures in the Sun looked sharp and those in the Mail didn't - but they were reproduced from the same files. Most libraries and picture editors want images unsharpened, so the onus is on them to correctly process them once resized for the appropriate print size.

Back