Magpie mines

The first one has the mine just a bit too far away for me, and the foreground isn't really interesting enough to enhance the photo. The 2 b&w ones are great as they really home in on their subject and fill the frame, and I can't make up my mind about the last one! The proposed sunset and stars shots sound interesting, so I'll look out for them.

Thanks Peter.

The first photo shows how the mines are apparently isolated but a sheep or cow would have been useful. Perhaps if I'd been more careful I could have used the path to advantage. I was trying to exclude people and there were two chatting where I chopped the right edge off.

The greyscale images lack the punch of hand-printed versions but that's a choice I make by not spending my life in front of a PC (and for other reasons no longer have a darkroom). Other than that I do prefer the more intimate photos I took that day and have converted most to greyscale.
The last of the group shown is one of three that were similar, none were quite what I wanted. In my defence I wasn't using the right lens, I was out to get my youngest son learning to use his camera so not concentrating enough on my own attemps....and I'm not a photographer (finally coming out of the closet on here and getting constructive criticism such as yours will I hope help with the latter!).

I'd agree with Peter about the first one - the subject is a little too distant, with a large area of uninteresting grass in the foreground.
I also think the path on the right is distracting, and tends to take your eye away from the subject.

The second one has too many dark shadow areas, and, along with the last two, has distracting elements that run out of the frame and lead the eye out of the picture.

Back