Mainline Steam Season 2015

LC2

Negan
Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
It was great to catch the first of the 2015 Mainline Steam today.
Clan Line on the British Pullman through Feltham.
Not the most scenic of sites, and restricted viewing (must investigate crossing between Ashford & Staines) for future pictures.
I must also keep an eye on the shutter speed. Allowing it to drop below 1/80th was a bit of a mistake... I think this one came out reasonably well though.

Bulleid Merchant Navy - Clan Line - 35208 - Feltham
by timz2011, on Flickr

Looks ok to me even if shutter speed was slow, nice and sharp IMO.
Got to agree on the location, old trains and modern stations is a no go.

Thanks for the comment Graham.
I think this was the best of the bunch. I must remember to use TV not AV, and to perhaps allow auto iso in the changeable light. Some of the shots dropped to 1/40th, and were full of motion blur (in an ugly way, not artful).

Whilst I'd love to be able to use a better location for mainline steam, if I've decided to WFH so I can pop out to catch a mid-week tour, then I will probably normally end up here as at least I can get above the fencing that follows the line.

61306 due on the 11th. Norwich to Windsor.

I find I'm trying to get locations that might at least pass for old - first time I went specifically for steam locos I made the mistake of just going to a local viewpoint on West Coast main line and of course the catenary ruined the shots - at least you don't have that problem. I had a look on uksteam.info the other day and was surprised there's nothing local (Crewe / Chester area) for quite some time.

Again Feltham Station (lunch time while working from home ;) )
LNER Thompson Class B1 61306 on the 11th February Cathedrals Express from Norwich to Windsor & Eton Riverside.

61306 Norwich to Windsor & Eton:

LNER Thompson Class B1 61306
by timz2011, on Flickr

ECS Windsor to Southall - 47 580 in charge, 61306 at rear:

Class 47 - 47 580 Feltham Station
by timz2011, on Flickr

ECS Windsor to Southall - 61306 at the rear:

LNER Thompson Class B1 61306
by timz2011, on Flickr

I think the last shot is the strongest, albeit wrong line and running in reverse in light steam.

As you say Tim, not the best location for Clan Line but you've caught it ok. and I like the other two although I'm a 'steam' man rather than the old diesels but your diesel shot is very good. A long while ago I found that what started off as a decent shutter speed when checking it but it soon dropped if you're focused on the black boiler or somewhere that's in poor light like the station where your Clan Line is and you don't notice the meter dropping. I've seen 'Clan Line' along the Severn and got a good trackside shot as well as station close-ups.

61306 is, as you'll know, is Mayflower and on March 1st. I'll get to see it en-route to Cardiff through Gloucestershire.I haven't seen it before so I'm looking forward to that. Hopefully it will at least be a good light day which is crucial.

I thought I would try a different location for yesterday's "BELMOND BRITISH PULLMAN", just outside Staines station at this foot crossing:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...2!3m1!1s0x4876714a5aaf3fad:0x2c0e1620b4b74828

I'm afraid there was too much growth to get any reasonable shots coming out of London (and an ugly bridge), but in the summer, on the return journey this may yield some reasonable results. This 66 (okay it's not mainline steam) shows what may be possible with lighter evenings.

EWS Class 66 - 66 014
by timz2011, on Flickr

Nice clean shot,Tim. I'll show it to my near neighbour who is into diesels.

My first chance to catch any mainline steam for a while.
Taking on-board the comments regarding the modern setting at Feltham (and having the morning free), these are taken from the end of Platform 5 at Clapham Junction

B1 61306 - Mayflower
by Tim White, on Flickr

The Colour version...

B1 61306 - Mayflower
by Tim White, on Flickr

B1 61306 - Mayflower
by Tim White, on Flickr

And another colour version, without the badly done repainting of the graffiti covered container ;)

B1 61306 - Mayflower
by Tim White, on Flickr

B1 61306 - Mayflower
by Tim White, on Flickr

Trying out B&W processing in order to attempt a timeless result (although the modern units detract a tad).

Comments?

Last one works best for me, not sure why as it looks the most static, but the composition just works nicely.

I caught it a bit later as it rushed through Shawford at about 70mph
IMG_K1591.jpg

IMG_K1596.jpg

Thanks for the comments chaps. I too prefer the B&W edits but included the colour shots for reference.

@michael23 I've had a go at lifting the shadows now, I felt that the exhaust lost some of it's impact, so I masked it back until only the front of the loco had the shadows lifted. What do you think?

B1 61306 - Mayflower
by Tim White, on Flickr

Ken, you got some nice shots there. It must be great being able to get to nice locations fairly easily. MInd you, I quite like the urban environments I get, especially as on the southern steam ran with the third rail in place for 50 odd years (L&SWR (Waterloo) suburban services were electrified starting before WW1) so it's not out of place.

Nothing for a while and then 2 in 2 weeks.
This time Tangmere on the Dorset Coast Express at Clapham Junction.

This was the same path as last week's shots of Mayflower.
It's a shame that Tangmere wasn't making much of an effort, so hardly anything in the way of clag.

Bulleid Battle of Britain Pacific 34067 Tangmere
by Tim White, on Flickr

by Tim White, on Flickr

by Tim White, on Flickr

by Tim White, on Flickr

by Tim White, on Flickr

As always, comments welcome.

It seems that Tangmere had a issue last week on the Royal Duchy service which has taken it out of service for a (hopefully) short while.
Thus this past week we had the Thompson B1 - 61306 - Mayflower on the Dorset Coast Express.
Next week is rumoured to be 60009 - Union of South Africa. Do I stick with the 70-200 or try the 150-500 I wonder?

Thompson B1 - 61306 Mayflower
by Tim White, on Flickr

by Tim White, on Flickr

by Tim White, on Flickr

Maybe pick a more creative spot than platform ending at Clapham Junction?

If you must stick there, then go for the big telephoto to make the most of the intricate track work and bear in mind that the light will usually be coming from the right as in these shots, which casts shadows on anything to the left.

Maybe pick a more creative spot than platform ending at Clapham Junction?

If you must stick there, then go for the big telephoto to make the most of the intricate track work and bear in mind that the light will usually be coming from the right as in these shots, which casts shadows on anything to the left.
The handy thing about Clapham is I can jump off the train on my way into work and jump on one straight after the shot, ending up only 30 minutes late ;)

I have been pondering what the shots might be like from one of the intermediate stations, and wll be trying them out, but for next week, I think Clapham & the 150-500 will be the choice.

This week's offering from the gloomy end of Clapham Junction, awaiting the Dorset Coast Express.
I tried @shreds suggestion of using a longer telephoto. I'm not sure it made much difference, and I'm also not 100% that the 150-500 is particularly suited to the 5D3 (probably my technique which will need to improve). Still wondering whether a 70-300L would be a better bet due to the lower weight.

Peaking around the junction onto the L&SWR

Thompson B1 61306 - Mayflower
by Tim White, on Flickr

by Tim White, on Flickr

Contrasting with a modern London Overground departing for Willesden (I think)

by Tim White, on Flickr

The final Dorset Coast Express of the 2015 season. A different spot to my usual Clapham Junction haunt, these were taken from the town end of a damp Brentford station. I feel the first shot framed by the bridge, with the tracks working as leading lines is the strongest of the set, although the leading lines in the second shot and the space work well in the second.

All comments welcome.

Bulleid 'Battle of Britain' Pacific No. 34067 Tangmere - Brentford
by Tim White, on Flickr

by Tim White, on Flickr

by Tim White, on Flickr

Sorry, all a bit too head on for me. Otherwise nice and sharp and clear.

I hadn't realised it was so long since I'd updated this thread so we'll have to see what I can manage in the last 5 or 6 weeks of the year.

A couple from Feltham this morning on the Cathedrals Express from Victoria to Minehead.
Running 3 minutes down at Feltham but apparently almost 2 hours late leaving Reading due to dragging brakes on one of the carriages, and thus a need to re-marshall the train and to leave the faulty carriage behind.
I think they only had 3 hours scheduled in Minehead, so that's down to 60 odd minutes now if they're going to get back to Victoria at the scheduled time of 23:33 !!!!!

Perhaps not the most inspiring of shots as it is Feltham station and the light was overcast, but plenty of exhaust in evidence.

LNER Thompson Class B1 61306 Mayflower : Feltham
by Tim White, on Flickr

LNER Thompson Class B1 61306 Mayflower : Feltham by Tim White, on Flickr

The 1st one of the Duchess of Sutherland is very good , well lit and I do like the way the exhaust is back lit by the street light.

The 1st one of the Duchess of Sutherland is very good , well lit and I do like the way the exhaust is back lit by the street light.
Yes, that's my favourite of the three. Lighting was quite hard, with just the station lights to work with, so fairly high iso.
The backlight is actually from the yard/shed lights. A very nice effect I thought.

Back