Beginner Maisie the puppy

Edit My Images
Yes
My mother-in-law’s new pup, just six weeks old. My third time using my first non point and shoot camera! A Sony A5100 with the kit lens.

Comments and constructive feedback welcomed.

1 is a bit tight for me. Not sure about the square crop. 2 & 3 are much better, although 3 could have benefited perhaps from moving the dog slightly further right in the frame? Might even get away with a re-crop to take out that furthermost right blue leg.

Blue legs of the whatever-it-is are quite distracting. If you have the know-how, desaturating (just) them a little might help, but next time - watch your backgrounds.

The best thing is that you got down to her(?) level which massively improves the overall impact to the images. They are nicely lit and well exposed and considering you have no control over posing the dog, they are nicely posed. I especially like the pose in #1 which is why I'd really like to see a non-square crop with more room to the right of the image (although I guess those blue legs are in there?)

Focus looks a bit iffy to me. Eyes of the dog should be in focus, but I'm not sure they are. It's really hard to tell with them being so dark, so I'm not sure if it would matter to ordinary people.
As always - just my opinion. Take what you like & leave the rest!

1 is a bit tight for me. Not sure about the square crop. 2 & 3 are much better, although 3 could have benefited perhaps from moving the dog slightly further right in the frame? Might even get away with a re-crop to take out that furthermost right blue leg.

Blue legs of the whatever-it-is are quite distracting. If you have the know-how, desaturating (just) them a little might help, but next time - watch your backgrounds.

The best thing is that you got down to her(?) level which massively improves the overall impact to the images. They are nicely lit and well exposed and considering you have no control over posing the dog, they are nicely posed. I especially like the pose in #1 which is why I'd really like to see a non-square crop with more room to the right of the image (although I guess those blue legs are in there?)

Focus looks a bit iffy to me. Eyes of the dog should be in focus, but I'm not sure they are. It's really hard to tell with them being so dark, so I'm not sure if it would matter to ordinary people.
As always - just my opinion. Take what you like & leave the rest!

Thanks, this is exactly the type of feedback I'm after. The 'those are amazing!' type comments I get from family and friends are obviously nice to receive, but not especially constructive!

The 'those are amazing!' type comments I get from family and friends are obviously nice to receive, but not especially constructive!

Totally agree. And this forum should be the place to improve. Instagram & Flickr are the places for the "nice shot" brigades. You can always tag me (type @Harlequin565 and it will send me a notification) if you want comment. It helps me think through the images, which in turn helps me think through my own. I comment on quite a few images and often get no response so thanks for your thanks :)

Nice set, I agree with Harlequin565 with regard to them being to tightly cropped.
Having looked at them larger on you flickr, the focus looks ok but again, with animals focus on they eyes and the rest should be fine.

I'm hoping you are mistaken by saying the puppy is 6 weeks old, they should never be separated from the mother until they are 8 weeks.

Nice set, I agree with Harlequin565 with regard to them being to tightly cropped.
Having looked at them larger on you flickr, the focus looks ok but again, with animals focus on they eyes and the rest should be fine.

I'm hoping you are mistaken by saying the puppy is 6 weeks old, they should never be separated from the mother until they are 8 weeks.

Thanks for the advice about focusing on the eyes. I just auto-focused by pushing the shutter button halfway, which I suppose would just focus on the dog in general.

I probably am mistaken about her being six weeks old, everything else my mother in law has said about would indicate they’re very responsible.

Back