Malawi insects 2018

Name
Gil
Edit My Images
Yes
Only been able to get time to process some of the photos I took last year. I didn't have a macro lens or rig, but instead a lens more suited to birding. Ended up finding that insects were much easier to capture - the birds over there are just so nervous, and the foliage so dense. Looking forward to my trip this year, this time I'm equipped with a macro lens, Raynox attachment (thanks for the recommendation @Mike.P) and tripod!!

HSC_1120 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
HSC_1126 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
HSC_1423 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
(https://www.whatsthatbug.com/2013/12/16/grasshopper-malawi/)

HSC_2207 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
HSC_2516 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
HSC_2541 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
HSC_2910 by Gilbo B, on Flickr

Last edited:
WoWeeee these are fab and that Wasp is superbe and that Hummingbird hawk moth too.
Thanks for sharing these

WoWeeee these are fab and that Wasp is superbe and that Hummingbird hawk moth too.
Thanks for sharing these

Thanks very much Graham. Can't wait to get some finer detail, and discover more this time round!! There's a forrest just behind which is full of unusual insects and I'm sure I'll spend many days wondering around

HSC_0257 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
HSC_0094 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
HSC_0649 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
HSC_0652 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
HSC_1310 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
HSC_1328 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
HSC_1696 by Gilbo B, on Flickr
HSC_2133 by Gilbo B, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing these

Out of curiosity Graham, what do you use with your Nikon 100mm f2.8 to get so close to your subjects

This chap is pretty big and has very bright red wings which must have a wing span as big as some of smaller birds. When I first came across one I got the biggest fright - as they are very nearly invisible until they get spooked and jump and burst into a huge red flying insect. They are very hard to find when they land again though.

With my Nikon D500 I use a Tokina 100mm, super sharp and the price is very good, sometimes with a Raynox 250. I read last night that Tokina have just introduced a 100mm for FF cameras, same reasonable price.
Out of curiosity Graham, what do you use with your Nikon 100mm f2.8 to get so close to your subjects

need to ask santa for a macro
the nikon 200mm is the one to go for so you don't spook
lovely shots

Super images! Especially in the top post. Variously lovely light, colours, clarity, detail, compositions. A visual treat.
Thanks very much, hopefully I'll have some new photos to share soon. Will start a new thread with them

Last edited:
Back