Male Cuckoo in the setting sun

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
This is only my second post since joining up yesterday

I have been looking for this Cuckoo since occasionally hearing it's distinctive call on my daily walks close to my house for the last month

Finally got to see both the male and a rufous female just over a week ago when I did not have my camera!

Have been back with my camera every day since with no luck until three days ago

This was shot with a 500mm f4 + TC 1.4 handheld

C&C welcome, thanks for looking

MaleCommonCuckoo1.jpg

Another lovely shot in great light ... my days of carrying a 500 f4 are sadly over :(

Thanks gramps. Carrying and hand-holding the 500 f4 is a challenge. What kit do you use now?

I sold my Nikon 500 f4, D500 & D850 and now use a Nikon 200-500 f5.6 with a D7500 & D750.
Although not up to the IQ of the 500 f4, the 200-500 is a good copy and works well for me with less of a struggle out and about. :)

I sold my Nikon 500 f4, D500 & D850 and now use a Nikon 200-500 f5.6 with a D7500 & D750.
Although not up to the IQ of the 500 f4, the 200-500 is a good copy and works well for me with less of a struggle out and about. :)

Very interesting. I mainly shoot with the D850 and have the D500 as a backup body. I used to have the D750 but sold it after the shutter and sensor were replaced on the recall. I also have the 200-500 f5.6 but have hardly touched it since I got the 500 f4.

I have not had the D7500 - is it significantly lighter than the D850 and D500?

I have not had the D7500 - is it significantly lighter than the D850 and D500?

The D500 is slightly larger and a little over 200gms heavier than the D7500, the D850 more so.
It has been called the D500 Lite and having had both I think that's a good title, it works well for me.
The 200-500 gives the advantage of being a zoom, which I have found useful on a number of occasions.

Beautiful shot Paul, I can honestly say I have never seen a cuckoo in the wild. Thank you for sharing.

Thats a cracking shot and fantastic light. I, like Dale, have never had the pleasure of seeing one in the wild, well done.

A beautiful shot, Paul :)

- a bird I've often heard, occasionally seen, but never photographed:(

- and a warm welcome to TP!

Russ

A great capture well impressed I've only heard a couple this year and not seen them

Thats a cracking shot and fantastic light. I, like Dale, have never had the pleasure of seeing one in the wild, well done.

A beauty Paul

Yes, that's great. Thanks for posting.......

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated

Well done Paul great commitment to try and nab a frame and you have been rewarded with a fabulous frame for that effort.

Really well done and a corker of a frame a joy to stare at .

TFS

stu

Lovely shot Paul, I travelled miles last year just to see one but well worth the trip

Might just be a personal thing but I think it could do with just a tad more brightness to lift it out of the shadows, I appreciate the effect of low sun you wanting to achieve but it just a tad to dark for me?

Back