Mallorca (Newbie)

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
No
Please go easy on me but I really am looking for feedback, I'm new to this but really enjoy it. The camera is a D3300 and I was using a Nikon 18-140 lens hand held.. (I have a D7200 at home waiting for me with a new 55-300mm)

The photos are just north of Alcudia in Mallorca. I had never used Lightroom before and really enjoyed bringing out the detail in the rocks and bringing the colour out.

Photo 1)

saver2 by Benloader, on Flickr

And here is photo 2 which I personally think is a little more interesting.

saver1 by Benloader, on Flickr

Now I know there not half the standard of photos on here but the reason I have posted them is I really am looking for feedback on how to improve.

Thanks in advanced.

Last edited:
That's a shame 64 views and not one bit of feedback :(

I prefer number two, nice depth of field and strong colours.

With the first picture I am not keen on the corner of the road in the bottom left as I find it a big distracting - especially with the rear end of the car included. Perhaps try cropping to picture to remove this?

Also you need to clone out the dust bunny in the top left :)

I prefer number two, nice depth of field and strong colours.

With the first picture I am not keen on the corner of the road in the bottom left as I find it a big distracting - especially with the rear end of the car included. Perhaps try cropping to picture to remove this?

Also you need to clone out the dust bunny in the top left :)

To my untrained eye, the blue 'strong colour' is overdone and too artificial.

Malcolm are you referring to the sea? Looks ok to me. I'd probably put a graduated filter on the sky with a subtle toning down on the skies exposure, crop out the car but keep the road, maybe also lose the boat and trail. Perhaps back off a bit on the vibrance/ saturation a little. A lovely looking scene though. Second shot is nice but doesn't massively grab me but the colours looks good. You also have a couple of dust bunnies in that one too.

Malcolm are you referring to the sea? Looks ok to me. I'd probably put a graduated filter on the sky with a subtle toning down on the skies exposure, crop out the car but keep the road, maybe also lose the boat and trail. Perhaps back off a bit on the vibrance/ saturation a little. A lovely looking scene though. Second shot is nice but doesn't massively grab me but the colours looks good. You also have a couple of dust bunnies in that one too.

Yes, particularly the sea, and also agree with you on the sky.

For me, I would square them both up. The first one from the right in, the second with the light house slap bang in the centre. But then I love square cops. :) Oh and straighten the horizon in the first.

Last edited:
This is all incredibly helpful and useful so thank you. I hadn't noticed the dust mark but I appear to have got rid of it. It was my first time using Lightroom as normally use Windows photo editor so perhaps got a little carried away. I will have to learn how to use it and it's filters.

Edit just to say now that dust has been mentioned I can't stop looking at it!!.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
"Presets are for the weak"?. Sorry do not understand this?.

"Presets are for the weak"?. Sorry do not understand this?.

I was just mucking about but basically if you use the presets all the time you never learn how to master the art of whatever it is you're doing. In this case post processing in lightroom or photoshop. The quote i posted was from a Bob Moog meme thing off a t shirt. Bob Moog developed and made lovely chunky analogue synthesisers.

l.jpg

I would agree with the square crop on #2. But for #1 I would just loose a little bit off the left as suggested and also a bit of the sky. Enough just to give the hill top a bit of breathing space. Would have the effect of moving the horizon up a bit closer to the top third which I think would help lead the eye to those hazy hills in the BG. And yes, I would clone the boat.

Bob Moog developed and made lovely chunky analogue synthesisers.

…and Walter Carlos made, IMO, the best with it when SHE
brought out Switched On Bach! Awesome still today!

Walter%20Carlos%20-%20Switched%20on%20Bach.jpg

If interested, just open the following link in a new tab to hear this most beautiful example!
http://www.kodiakmedia.at/TP8/Wendy Carlos - Switched On Bach - 12 - Track 12.mp3

Last edited:
Back