Mammal ID Please

Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
P1020894 copy.jpg

The ones I have seen have had darker fur than this one but the face says, mink. Good shot Jeff, they don't stay still for long.

An invasive species here as a result of escapes and deliberate releases, but a lovely looking creature.

Dave

Is the Mink now a reportable species especially because of its impact by predation on native species???

Not as far as I know. @Cobra might know.

Is the Mink now a reportable species especially because of its impact by predation on native species???

Its 100% mink, there are no legal requirement to report it, but if its a fishery or wildlife sanctuary, the owners / trust will thank you for it,
and get traps set.

I photographed this at Wolseley Bridge Wildlife reserve near Rugeley in Staffordshire and they are aware of their presence..

I think many wildlife reserves (and other areas too) have mink 'traps' set up. I have seen them as far south as Rainham Marshes on the north bank of the Thames and as far north as Laide Wood on the north west coast of Scotland.

These don't trap the mink but are small covered, opened ended boxes with a clay panel set in the bottom. They are floated on lakes and rivers. If a mink (or any other animal) enters the 'trap' it leaves identifiable foot prints that allows action to be taken, if necessary.

Mink are said to have a large impact on native wildlife and I can imagine that is true - they are as good a predator as a stoat and can swim very well, but I think they are here to stay, at least on the mainland, and they are delightful looking animals.

Dave

The ones I have seen have had darker fur than this one.

Dave
Though most are very dark I have seen other colours such as “champagne”, sort of light beige. Besides swimming they are great tree climbers when pursued ;-)

Interesting observation, Richard. I have never seen them climb but I can imagine they wouldn't have any problems. They could be just about the most effective small predator we have.

Dave

Interesting observation, Richard. I have never seen them climb but I can imagine they wouldn't have any problems. They could be just about the most effective small predator we have.

Dave
All Mustelids are capable of climbing, ( they will also raid nests for eggs) even the big ones ;)

129A3565
by Chris, on Flickr

And yes they are incredibly successful predators, all of them.

even the big ones ;).
Interesting, I haven’t seen the big ones in trees, though on reflection that must be so.

A friend of Dad's used to get badgers climbing up kitchen stools to get at peanuts on the breakfast bar so I can't see them having much problem with a tree (if they felt the need!)

A friend of Dad's used to get badgers climbing up kitchen stools to get at peanuts on the breakfast bar so I can't see them having much problem with a tree (if they felt the need!)
I think there was a tree climbing badger on BBC Autumnwatch (or similar) recently. Foxes climb trees ... and so do terriers ;)

I think there was a tree climbing badger on BBC Autumnwatch (or similar) recently. Foxes climb trees ... and so do terriers ;)
So do Lions, but then none of the above are Mustelids ( well apart from the afore mentioned Badgers of course )

So do Lions, but then none of the above are Mustelids ( well apart from the afore mentioned Badgers of course )
You’ve made me wonder if there is a non climbing mustelid, ... There was a very educational programme on TV about a South African who keeps captive honey badgers, except he couldn’t stop them escaping.

You’ve made me wonder if there is a non climbing mustelid, ...
Its quite a big family, but I can't think of one that wont, even otters will climb ...
(admittedly its not that high but they certainly have the claws for it)

129A0374.jpg

Edit I doubt THIS ONE would though

Last edited:
Its quite a big family, but I can't think of one that wont, even otters will climb ...
(admittedly its not that high but they certainly have the claws for it)

View attachment 119002

Edit I doubt THIS ONE would though
And the African otters are called Clawless Otters so I guess they can’t climb.

And the African otters are called Clawless Otters so I guess they can’t climb.
That may be a bit of an issue I agree :D

Back