Wild Man of the Forest (+2)

dragonfly

Advertiser
Name
Des
Edit My Images
No
Between March and April of every year I visit Borneo. It's the world's third largest island. It's shared between three countries. I have worked the north, west and southern part fo the island. Sadly, the fauna and flora are under threat and many species are critically endangered, like the Orang-utan. The 'Man of the forest' (literally translated) is probably one of the most iconic wildlife found here.

There are several places where you can see and photograph these great apes in more accessabile hotspots set up for tourists. Personally I prefer somewhere more remote. This secluded location, takes a few hours by boat, first out at sea and then upstream into beautiful primary rainforest. The images attained here are very different to those from the more crowded platforms.

orangutan.jpg

I just love that image Des ... the Orang so well placed in the frame really shows it 'at home'.
A trip I would love to make but sadly ain't going to happen. :(

Wonderful. reminds me of my time in Malay (Malaysia) 1961-1971

A fantastic image Des, love how the orangutang is looking directly at you, so much expression in its face.

Last edited:
"Cracking" shot, nothing more to be said.

George.

lovely image. We are going there on our honeymoon in september. Do you have any recommendations which you are willing to share away from the usual tourist hotspots?
Many congratulations, Alastair. For a honeymoon, I'd recommend visiting the Malaysian state of Sabah (northeast of the island). Great established infrastructure and lots to do and see. Most can be done in sandals and shorts, including platforms designed for viewing rehabilitated Orang-utans. Your travel agent should be able to help you with that. Enjoy.

Des is this the same fella,if so same day same encounter?? Sorry for the questions Des I guess where I'm going is how tolerant are they of you can you spend time with them, ha if ya can find one that is.?

Beautiful images of what to me has always been the kind ape. Gentle lovely souls, folk to admire.. Cheer s for sharing sorry for the Q's, ha as always huh:D Not something I might ever see in the wild Des but what's happening in Borneo is of huge concerns and has been for a long time

lovely

Des is this the same fella,if so same day same encounter?? Sorry for the questions Des I guess where I'm going is how tolerant are they of you can you spend time with them, ha if ya can find one that is.?

Beautiful images of what to me has always been the kind ape. Gentle lovely souls, folk to admire.. Cheer s for sharing sorry for the Q's, ha as always huh:D Not something I might ever see in the wild Des but what's happening in Borneo is of huge concerns and has been for a long time

lovely
Seen him more than a couple of occasions, a curious chap.

Here's a wider view showing a Bornean Orang-utan swinging carefree in its natural habitat. It's actually much harder to capture a wide-angle shot like this than a traditional telephoto image, both technically and conceptually.

orang.jpg

Back