Manchester - travel pics

Name
Immo
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, 4 years ago, I visited this fascinating city with a rich industrial history. A few impressions of what a foreign tourist found interesting. The MOSI:

DSC05145-a7-tp-c.jpg

DSC05180-a7-c-tp.jpg

DSC05202-a7c-tp.jpg

DSC05204-a7c-tp.jpg

OP
OP
justpix
Name
Immo
Edit My Images
Yes
Lovely British weather!
Well, there were also sunny or, at least dry spells ... - And I planned indoor activities, too. Not only pubs and restaurants :), but there is the MOSI, the Art Gallery, the Labour Movement Museum, and railway stations.

I really enjoyed the stay in Manchester!

OP
OP
justpix
Name
Immo
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, Manchester Art Gallery:

DSC05428-a7-tp.jpg

DSC05432-a7-tp.jpg

DSC05453-a7-tp.jpg

At the People's Museum:

DSC05495-a7-tp.jpg

Like every IT professional, I went to the Turing memorial.

DSC05300-a7-tp.jpg

OP
OP
justpix
Name
Immo
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, a little "interior architecture now". The Oyster Bar did not serve Oysters ...

DSC05125-a7-tp.jpg

So, after a short stay ...

DSC05127-a7c-tp.jpg

... I moved on, trying to get a balanced diet, and took a SELF(ie):

DSC05513-a7c-tp.jpg

Another excellent restaurant in Manchester (sorry, I forgot the name):

DSC05317-a7c-tp.jpg

DSC05322-a7c-tp.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
justpix
Name
Immo
Edit My Images
Yes
Interesting set and not at all matching my preconceptions of Manchester ... well except for the rain :)
Well, I found Manchester fascinating, with its rough charm of early industrial architecture. Worth visiting! ---

Now the last series. My nightlife is rather uneventful. Sorry for the disappointment.

I had lunch in the city, and went home:

DSC05353-a7-tp.jpg

DSC05365-a7c-tp.jpg

... went for a walk near my hotel

DSC05341-a7-tp.jpg

DSC05466-a7-tp.jpg

...where I had a nightcap:

DSC05222-a7c-tp.jpg

(So, this is it. --- I showed pictures I found (and find) interesting. When I went through my 400 Manchester pics, I saw that very often I tilted the camera when taking pictures of buildings.

This was partly my fault, but often due to lack of space, too. If I were to go there again, I would also bring a 15mm lens along (I had only 21 and 28mm with me) and another camera.

The SONY A7 suffered from sensor reflections, my A7R2 is much better.)

OP
OP
justpix
Name
Immo
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, 5 years later, in November 2019, I went to Manchester again, because I liked it so much there. 5 years is quite a long time, so my equipment has changed a little.

I took my favourite allround travel-camera SONY A7R2 and the ZEISS Loxia 2,8/21, a 15mm Voigtländer and as a backup my pocket-camera Sony NEX5N with me.

Personally, I have not changed very much, I am afraid. So, you can see travel pictures here again, of architecture, art, food (and drink).

Here we go, boarding in Frankfurt/M :

DSC01655-nex5-tp.jpg

Taxiing:

DSC01659-nex5-tp.jpg

After take-off :

DSC01665-nex-5-c-tp.jpg

Name
Alf
Edit My Images
Yes
Thats a nice set Immo
I have not been in the city for a while as my daughter moved to the suburbs but I need t o have a walk on my own again

Edit My Images
No
It’s funny how someonelses opinion and view on places are different to your own, I hate manchester, it’s a noisy mess at times and avoid it whenever I can, that said, I doubt I have even looked around the place, yet know where every single image was taken, funny old world.

OP
OP
justpix
Name
Immo
Edit My Images
Yes
It’s funny how someonelses opinion and view on places are different to your own, I hate manchester, it’s a noisy mess at times and avoid it whenever I can, that said, I doubt I have even looked around the place, yet know where every single image was taken, funny old world.
Hi, a few of my friends had difficulties understanding why I went to Manchester twice, too..

It is also a personal thing. I have lived for over 25 years in Schwelm/Germany, which is close to Wuppertal. And in Wuppertal Engels had a factory.

In 1842, he sent his son Friedrich to Manchester to become a proper capitalist. And what did Friedrich do? He got together with Marx, and they became
the spiritual leaders of communism ...

Manchester was the centre of industrial innovation for over 100 years in the world, which found its expression in infrastructure, buildings, canals, railways
and bridges.

If your are interested in industrial architecture, Manchester is fascinating.

(I paid for the trip myself, not sponsored by the Tourism Board, although I may sound very enthusiastic ... ;) )

Name
Alf
Edit My Images
Yes
I like Manchester but I live in a rather small village on the edge of a small town we don't ven have a bus service.

OP
OP
justpix
Name
Immo
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, a bief visit of the MOSI. This time, the weather was dry in Manchester. So, I did not need much indoor activity... :

DSC05097-a7r2-3-c-tp.jpg

DSC05101-a7r2-3-c-tp.jpg

DSC05102-a7r2-3-c-tp.jpg

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi @justpix just been looking through the thread of photos, I found it pretty interesting. I have not been to Manchester for ages, and I can't think why not really, as it is only down the road from me. Maybe I should pop into the City with my camera, and see what I can spot.

Thanks for an interesting thread, with some nice photos. (y)