Spent my first 17 years in M/C when it was still a city. Left in the late 50s for a few years in Germany then East Anglia.
Been back a few times over the years for short visits but had actually planned a two week trip for the last two weeks in March!!!
Love the images and as the son of a cotton weaver, all her life at Chain Bar Mill in Moston, it brings a lot back to me.
Thank You:)

Hi, thank you for your friendly interest. :) I hope some of the pics show familiar places. Hope, you can go there soon ... ---

Not that there's much to see, but the Castlefield area was the site of the first Roman Fort in Manchester...If you ever make it back, jump on the Metro to Heaton Park, it's Europe's largest municipal park with over 600 acres. The council, after many years of neglect have been restoring the main hall the past couple of years. There's also an old pump house with relief work
by Mitzi Cunliffe, the American sculptor who designed the golden theatrical mask for the BAFTA awards.

I've got to pull you up about the Fish 'n' Chips, they're not chips, they looked more like potato wedges after being double dipped, and those peas look mashed not mushed.
The fish does look tasty though with a nice crispy batter:giggle:

Hi, thank you for your friendly interest, and helpful hints! :)

I went to Castlefield in 2014, but not again this time. As you said, it is not very spectacular ... :

DSC05270-a7-2-c-tp.jpg

DSC05271-a7-2-c-tp.jpg

As you can see, the finer points of English cuisine are beyond me. I simply quoted the menu ... --- :sorry:

Hi, light dinner at Randall&Aubin :

DSC05355-a7r2-3-v151-tp.jpg

DSC05353-a7r2-3-v151-tp-2.jpg

DSC05354-a7r2-3-v151-tp.jpg

I have been there several times, and was always highly satisfied. There was always something nice on the menu for me ... ---

Walking home :

DSC05167-a7r2-3-z21L-tp.jpg

DSC05185-a7r2-3-z21L-tp.jpg

Stopping at Sainsbury's to get a small bottle of red wine to have when watching TV :

DSC05183-a7r2-3-z21L-tp.jpg

My nightlife was - and still is - rather uneventful. I always stay in the centre and are off the street by 10.00 p.m. Nowhere and never did I feel insecure in Manchester.

But this is my general rule when travelling. My parents would be proud of me. - They always said: "Son, do not come home late!" :LOL:

Hi, thank you for your friendly interest, and helpful hints! :)

I went to Castlefield in 2014, but not again this time. As you said, it is not very spectacular ... :

View attachment 275248

View attachment 275249

As you can see, the finer points of English cuisine are beyond me. I simply quoted the menu ... --- :sorry:

I forgot how uninspiring it is:giggle: it's been a few years since I last saw it. I'm only a few miles away and avoid the city centre at all costs nowadays...

Across the River Irvell :

View attachment 271543

A little trivia for Immo...Blackfriars Bridge, I can't see it in any of your images, but like the other bridges joins Manchester to Salford. If I have this right from your first image, M/C is the right, Salford on the left. But, many many years ago before Salford was swallowed up by M/C City Council and they both had their own police force, apparently criminals used to run across Blackfriars Bridge to escape which ever police force was giving chase, as neither police force was allowed to cross the bridge...Also, next to Blackfriars Bridge is or was a pub called the Mark Addy, more about him here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Addy_(oarsman) but he saved over fifty people from the Irwell....

A little trivia for Immo...Blackfriars Bridge, I can't see it in any of your images, but like the other bridges joins Manchester to Salford. If I have this right from your first image, M/C is the right, Salford on the left. But, many many years ago before Salford was swallowed up by M/C City Council and they both had their own police force, apparently criminals used to run across Blackfriars Bridge to escape which ever police force was giving chase, as neither police force was allowed to cross the bridge...Also, next to Blackfriars Bridge is or was a pub called the Mark Addy, more about him here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Addy_(oarsman) but he saved over fifty people from the Irwell....

Hi, Pete, I found a pic of Blackfriars Bridge in the files of my first visit to Manchester in 2014 :

DSC05488-a7-tp.jpg

Hello Immo. I think you shot that from the Salford side and probably from or the near the site of the original Mark Addy,,,

Hello Immo. I think you shot that from the Salford side and probably from or the near the site of the original Mark Addy,,,

Hi, Pete, after over 5 years, it is a little difficult for me to say where I was then. But if the church tower visible at 1/3rd of the bridge from the left side belongs to Manchester Cathedral,
I am looking North-East, standing on the Salford-side (not knowing where this begins (and Manchester ends)).

A local, or people with local knowledge, could verify this more easily ... ---

As someone who visits Manchester usually weekly and always carries a camera, it's lovely to see someone enjoying holidaying there and giving us a different perspective on things. I often struggle to find things I haven't already shot before and I never really manage to make anything look interesting or different so I have enjoyed looking through these.

Hi, Pete, after over 5 years, it is a little difficult for me to say where I was then. But if the church tower visible at 1/3rd of the bridge from the left side belongs to Manchester Cathedral,
I am looking North-East, standing on the Salford-side (not knowing where this begins (and Manchester ends)).

A local, or people with local knowledge, could verify this more easily ... ---

Hello Immo. The Irwell divides the two Cities, although I'm not sure many folk think as Salford being a city anymore, more of an extension of Manchester. There are some very very old
buildings in Salford. Have a look at Ordsall Hall https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordsall_Hall It's a stunning building that dates back over 700 years, today, it's in the middle of a council
and industrial estate...This is just a few minutes walk from Salford Docks, which has undergone a lot of regeneration over the past 20 years. There's museums and even the BBC
are there now...

Hello Immo. The Irwell divides the two Cities, although I'm not sure many folk think as Salford being a city anymore, more of an extension of Manchester. There are some very very old
buildings in Salford. Have a look at Ordsall Hall https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordsall_Hall It's a stunning building that dates back over 700 years, today, it's in the middle of a council
and industrial estate...This is just a few minutes walk from Salford Docks, which has undergone a lot of regeneration over the past 20 years. There's museums and even the BBC
are there now...

Hi, Pete, that's the problem when travelling, you see a lot - and you miss a lot... --- Salford was for me just a suburb of Manchester, with a few old, and some modern buildings, I must admit.

But I went there, took a few pics, but stayed on the surface. Ordsall Hall looks interesting. Again, a place to visit in the future. Maybe, next time, I should stay in Salford and start walking
from there.

My Salford pics will come later ... ---

Hi, from my walks ... :

DSC05156-a7r2-3-z21-tp.jpg

DSC05197-a7r2-3-c-tp.jpg

DSC05198-a7r2-3-c-tp.jpg

Canada House (difficult, even with a 15mm lens) :

DSC05200-a72-3-c-tp.jpg

DSC05201-a7r2-3-c-tp.jpg

DSC05204-a7r2-3-c-tp.jpg

I am mainly interested in buildings from 1900 - 1930 (Art Nouveau to Art Deco). Modern buildings I can see everywhere ...

Hi, my weekly posting. - I walked to Manchester University to take pics of the Arts Building I found listed as Art Nouveau. - Impressions :

DSC05206-a7r2-3-c-tp.jpg

DSC05207-a7r2-3-c-tp.jpg

DSC05208-a7r2-3-c-tp.jpg

DSC05209-a7r2-3-tp.jpg

DSC05210-a7r2-2-v15-tp.jpg

Hi, thank you for your friendly interest and your comments, huxleypiggles! :)

Originally, I wanted to post next Friday again, but here we carry on walking ... --- :

DSC05211-a7r2-3-c-tp.jpg

DSC05213-a7r2-3-c-tp.jpg

DSC05214-a7r2-3-c-tp.jpg

DSC05216-a7r2-3-c-tp.jpg

DSC05217-a7r2-v151-c-tp.jpg

Hi, around Manchester University.

The Arts building was being renovated ... :

DSC05228-a7r2-3-c-tp.jpg

Local wildlife :

DSC05226-a7r2-3-v15-c-tp.jpg

DSC05227-a7r2-3-c-tp.jpg

DSC05229-a7r2-3-c-tp.jpg

DSC05230-a7r2-3-c-tp.jpg

Hi thanks for the pictures well taken travelogue, I was born in Salford and spent most of my life in and around Manchester until moving 400+ miles away a few years ago. So it was great to see some of my old haunts and also to see the city through the eyes of a visitor. Great set of pics well done. As people have also mentioned there's still a lot more to explorer so you do need that excuse to visit again.

Hi thanks for the pictures well taken travelogue, I was born in Salford and spent most of my life in and around Manchester until moving 400+ miles away a few years ago. So it was great to see some of my old haunts and also to see the city through the eyes of a visitor. Great set of pics well done. As people have also mentioned there's still a lot more to explorer so you do need that excuse to visit again.

Thank you for your comment and your friendly interest, EPP! :) Later on, I shall show a few pictures taken in Salford ...

I know, but when I was outside, many visitors went in, so I skipped it.

But this is another reason for coming again ... ---

lowry-11 by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr

have you visited the lowry centre and museum
the imperial war museum is on the opposite bank
not far on the tram from city centre

cheers
geof

Last edited:
"have you visited the lowry centre and museum
the imperial war museum is on the opposite bank
not far on the tram from city centre

cheers
geof"

No, I haven't. - More reasons to go to Manchester again ... :)

Last edited:
Thanks once again for your images.
I always think it's such a shame that virtually all the magnificent old buildings have modern fast food and fast beds names on them.
But it doesn't take the magic away.:cool:

Thanks once again for your images.
I always think it's such a shame that virtually all the magnificent old buildings have modern fast food and fast beds names on them.
But it doesn't take the magic away.:cool:

I'm glad someone else agrees. I'm going to spend some time in Manchester later this year looking above the shop fronts. Theres so much still there but we always walk past and never look up. Hopefully when this covid settles I'll have a day in Manchester doing just that.

Hi, back again for a walk through Manchester, which takes us a few steps into Salford :

DSC05318-a7r2-3-tp.jpg

DSC05323-a7r2-3-tp.jpg

DSC05324-a7r2-3-tp.jpg

DSC05327-a7r2-3-tp.jpg

DSC05328-a7r2-3-tp.jpg

DSC05331-a7r2-3-tp.jpg

DSC05333-a7r2-3-tp.jpg

DSC05332-a7r2-3-tp.jpg

DSC05330-a7r2-3-tp.jpg

"Salfordians" will know, that it was only a short walk across the town border. Next time, I should look more closely. But I wanted to be back to have lunch ... ---

Hi, time for the "Friday-walk through Manchester" :

Passing Salford Station :

DSC05337-a7r2-3-tp.jpg

Walking through Manchester :

DSC05338-a7r2-3-tp.jpg

DSC05339-a7r2-3-tp.jpg

DSC05341-a7r2-3-tp.jpg

After the walk, before lunch:

DSC05342-a7r2-3-tp.jpg

The Rugby finals :

DSC05344-a7r2-3-tp.jpg

Hi, walking on :

DSC05349-a7r2-3-tp.jpg

to have lunch at Randall&Aubin (again) :

DSC05352-a7r2-3-tp.jpg

Back to the Edwardian :

DSC05358-a7r2-3-tp.jpg

DSC05361-a7r2-3-tp.jpg

(I watched TV, had a nap and got ready for the evening ... )

Back