Name
Immo
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, 4 years ago, I visited this fascinating city with a rich industrial history. A few impressions of what a foreign tourist found interesting. The MOSI:

DSC05145-a7-tp-c.jpg

DSC05180-a7-c-tp.jpg

DSC05202-a7c-tp.jpg

DSC05204-a7c-tp.jpg

Lovely British weather!
Well, there were also sunny or, at least dry spells ... - And I planned indoor activities, too. Not only pubs and restaurants :), but there is the MOSI, the Art Gallery, the Labour Movement Museum, and railway stations.

I really enjoyed the stay in Manchester!

Hi, a little "interior architecture now". The Oyster Bar did not serve Oysters ...

DSC05125-a7-tp.jpg

So, after a short stay ...

DSC05127-a7c-tp.jpg

... I moved on, trying to get a balanced diet, and took a SELF(ie):

DSC05513-a7c-tp.jpg

Another excellent restaurant in Manchester (sorry, I forgot the name):

DSC05317-a7c-tp.jpg

DSC05322-a7c-tp.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting set and not at all matching my preconceptions of Manchester ... well except for the rain :)

Interesting set and not at all matching my preconceptions of Manchester ... well except for the rain :)
Well, I found Manchester fascinating, with its rough charm of early industrial architecture. Worth visiting! ---

Now the last series. My nightlife is rather uneventful. Sorry for the disappointment.

I had lunch in the city, and went home:

DSC05353-a7-tp.jpg

DSC05365-a7c-tp.jpg

... went for a walk near my hotel

DSC05341-a7-tp.jpg

DSC05466-a7-tp.jpg

...where I had a nightcap:

DSC05222-a7c-tp.jpg

(So, this is it. --- I showed pictures I found (and find) interesting. When I went through my 400 Manchester pics, I saw that very often I tilted the camera when taking pictures of buildings.

This was partly my fault, but often due to lack of space, too. If I were to go there again, I would also bring a 15mm lens along (I had only 21 and 28mm with me) and another camera.

The SONY A7 suffered from sensor reflections, my A7R2 is much better.)

Hi, 5 years later, in November 2019, I went to Manchester again, because I liked it so much there. 5 years is quite a long time, so my equipment has changed a little.

I took my favourite allround travel-camera SONY A7R2 and the ZEISS Loxia 2,8/21, a 15mm Voigtländer and as a backup my pocket-camera Sony NEX5N with me.

Personally, I have not changed very much, I am afraid. So, you can see travel pictures here again, of architecture, art, food (and drink).

Waiting for the plane :

DSC01846-nex5n-v15-tp.jpg

Taxiing:

DSC01852-nex5n-tp.jpg

After take-off :

DSC01665-nex-5-c-tp.jpg

Last edited:
Thats a nice set Immo
I have not been in the city for a while as my daughter moved to the suburbs but I need t o have a walk on my own again

It’s funny how someonelses opinion and view on places are different to your own, I hate manchester, it’s a noisy mess at times and avoid it whenever I can, that said, I doubt I have even looked around the place, yet know where every single image was taken, funny old world.

It’s funny how someonelses opinion and view on places are different to your own, I hate manchester, it’s a noisy mess at times and avoid it whenever I can, that said, I doubt I have even looked around the place, yet know where every single image was taken, funny old world.

Hi, a few of my friends had difficulties understanding why I went to Manchester twice, too..

It is also a personal thing. I have lived for over 25 years in Schwelm/Germany, which is close to Wuppertal. And in Wuppertal Engels had a factory.

In 1842, he sent his son Friedrich to Manchester to become a proper capitalist. And what did Friedrich do? He got together with Marx, and they became
the spiritual leaders of communism ...

Manchester was the centre of industrial innovation for over 100 years in the world, which found its expression in infrastructure, buildings, canals, railways
and bridges.

If your are interested in industrial architecture, Manchester is fascinating.

(I paid for the trip myself, not sponsored by the Tourism Board, although I may sound very enthusiastic ... ;) )

I like Manchester but I live in a rather small village on the edge of a small town we don't ven have a bus service.

Hi @justpix just been looking through the thread of photos, I found it pretty interesting. I have not been to Manchester for ages, and I can't think why not really, as it is only down the road from me. Maybe I should pop into the City with my camera, and see what I can spot.

Thanks for an interesting thread, with some nice photos. (y)

Hi @justpix just been looking through the thread of photos, I found it pretty interesting. I have not been to Manchester for ages, and I can't think why not really, as it is only down the road from me. Maybe I should pop into the City with my camera, and see what I can spot.

Thanks for an interesting thread, with some nice photos. (y)

Hi, thank you for your friendly interest. :) If I lived near Manchester, I would go there quite often. I visited only the sites in walking distance from the city centre.

Interesting, unrenovated industrial sites I did not see. - But, this is just another reason for going there again ... ---

Manchester Cathedral (I was not the only visitor ...) :

DSC05118-a7r2-3-c-tp.jpg

DSC05121-a7r2-3-c-tp.jpg

DSC05127-7r2-3-tp.jpg

Hi, thank you for your friendly interest. :) If I lived near Manchester, I would go there quite often. I visited only the sites in walking distance from the city centre.

Interesting, unrenovated industrial sites I did not see. - But, this is just another reason for going there again ... ---

Manchester Cathedral (I was not the only visitor ...) :

View attachment 273880

View attachment 273881

View attachment 273882

Some lovely photos you have again. :)

I took some photos inside the Liverpool Anglican Cathedral a few years back. I grew up down the road from the Liverpool Anglican Cathedral, and when I went out of our front door, I saw the Cathedral every day. I never gave it a second thought, as it was always there, and I obviously saw it as a toddler. I only ever thought to photograph the building when I was middle aged.

Some lovely photos you have again. :)

I took some photos inside the Liverpool Anglican Cathedral a few years back. I grew up down the road from the Liverpool Anglican Cathedral, and when I went out of our front door, I saw the Cathedral every day. I never gave it a second thought, as it was always there, and I obviously saw it as a toddler. I only ever thought to photograph the building when I was middle aged.

Hi, I think, personalities change over the years. There is a town I lived in for over 25 years. And when I go there every now and then to look after my parents' grave, I always "discover" something new.

The same applies to poems, books or films you reappreciate after 20 years. Getting more mature can have its benefits ... ---

Walking on through Manchester from the cathedral ...

DSC05128-a7r2-3-c-tp.jpg

A shopping arcade:

DSC05133-a7r2-3-c-tp.jpg

St. Ann's :

DSC05136-a7r2-3-z21-tp.jpg

DSC05137-a7r2-3-z21-c-tp.jpg

Hi, I think, personalities change over the years. There is a town I lived in for over 25 years. And when I go there every now and then to look after my parents' grave, I always "discover" something new.

The same applies to poems, books or films you reappreciate after 20 years. Getting more mature can have its benefits ... ---

Walking on through Manchester from the cathedral...

I will try and make more of an effort to get some photos of places where I grew up, and remember fondly as a child. Trouble is, most of the old areas have now changed greatly. I may take some more Cathedral photos, if I have the energy that is.

Just before the lock down i went to Manchester for a couple of days - I hadn't been for probably 25 years ?

I've always like Manchester due to the music scene i.e The Smiths, The Stone Roses, Joy Division etc but I was really impressed by what a great City its become.

(Apart from the awful football teams)

I will be going back when this is all over - thanks for the photos

Just before the lock down i went to Manchester for a couple of days - I hadn't been for probably 25 years ?

I've always like Manchester due to the music scene i.e The Smiths, The Stone Roses, Joy Division etc but I was really impressed by what a great City its become.

(Apart from the awful football teams)

I will be going back when this is all over - thanks for the photos

Thank you for your friendly interest! :) - I did not go to the historical sites of the 60s music scene. Something for a future trip, and going to Liverpool, too ... ---

A new iron bridge:

DSC05160-a7r2-3-c-tp.jpg

And an old one :

DSC05175-a7r2-3-tp.jpg

Time for a break!

DSC05161-a7r2-3-tp.jpg

A happy Easter Monday to you and yours !!!

Hummmm Beer !!!!

Did you visit the John Rylands Library ?

If not that is a must see !

Hummmm Beer !!!!

Did you visit the John Rylands Library ?

If not that is a must see !

I know, but when I was outside, many visitors went in, so I skipped it.

But this is another reason for coming again ... ---

Spent my first 17 years in M/C when it was still a city. Left in the late 50s for a few years in Germany then East Anglia.
Been back a few times over the years for short visits but had actually planned a two week trip for the last two weeks in March!!!
Love the images and as the son of a cotton weaver, all her life at Chain Bar Mill in Moston, it brings a lot back to me.
Thank You:)

Not that there's much to see, but the Castlefield area was the site of the first Roman Fort in Manchester...If you ever make it back, jump on the Metro to Heaton Park, it's Europe's largest municipal park with over 600 acres. The council, after many years of neglect have been restoring the main hall the past couple of years. There's also an old pump house with relief work
by Mitzi Cunliffe, the American sculptor who designed the golden theatrical mask for the BAFTA awards.

I've got to pull you up about the Fish 'n' Chips, they're not chips, they looked more like potato wedges after being double dipped, and those peas look mashed not mushed.
The fish does look tasty though with a nice crispy batter:giggle:

Back