Mandarin Ducks

Name
Lewis
Edit My Images
No
Last edited:
I realise now I've missed the birds category. Feel free to move it mods.

Good stuff [emoji106]

Was that you crossing the bridge about half 4 this afternoon?

If it was, I was the bloke lying down on the other side!

Mike

Haha yes it was, I thought you were committed

The first pic is from that bridge. What a small world!

Make that 'should be committed!'

Maybe see you around there again as I've switched gear recently and I use that place to test stuff as it has reliable sightings

Mike

Any other local areas you'd recommend? Itching to get out as much as I can.

The lens you had looked bloody massive, I thought mine was cumbersome to carry around.

Any other local areas you'd recommend? Itching to get out as much as I can.

The lens you had looked bloody massive, I thought mine was cumbersome to carry around.

Hi Lewis, yep the 600mm is a beast to carry, but needs must. Photos might be crap but at least I look the part!

Other areas - are you aware of the hide at Etherow? Go to the Weir, over the bridge so the weir is on your left and as you go round the corner you'll see a private road. You're allowed on there to access the hide, no issues from the land owner. On the left is a pond where there is a resident heron if you want him, then in 100 yards on your left you'll see a gate that leads to the hide. It used to be great there but someone has erected loads of screens now, but you can still do your own setup with suitable branches etc - nuthatches, chaffinches, long tailed tits, woodpecker, other woodland birds and whatever flies past on the river. You'll often see a kingfisher there but he rarely poses on the branches near the hide.

Going towards Marple there is Roman Lakes. forget 'North Lake', its rare anything of interest is there but on the main lake there is traditionally a great crested grebe breeding pair, a resident barnacle goose, and other regular waterfowl

In Brabyns park there is a kingfisher I believe is showing well but I've not been to it so can't give a specific location, but it seems to be a bit of a local celebrity so maybe ask other photographers / birders.

In Reddish Vale country park, there is the main lake with the usual waterfowl including goosanders. As a secondary area, go into the car park and walk away from the lake and you'll see a gate leading to the quiet garden. There are feeders set up there, so regular woodland birds, loads of tame squirrels, and some ring necked parakeets have taken up residence in a tree in the back right of the garden.

Alternatively, walk along the main pond, and under the arches where there are some bird boxes set up. Keep an eye out for the Kestrels there.

If you know Pear Mill in Bredbury, there is a pair of peregrines that live on the building. All the workers tend to know about them and will usually point out where they nest - usually on the rear of the building if you look up you'll see the whitewash signs.

Over in Lyme Park in Disley there are the red deer which look great. There is a prohibited area where they seen a lot of time out of reach but towards the end of the day, some often make their way back towards the public areas.

They're the best of the well known local areas, no secrets but I hope that helps a bit

Mike

Amazing, thanks Mike. Familiar with all those places and as weird as it is I saw the Kingfisher (and a group of photographers) when I went there completely spontaneously on Sunday. It was hanging around the little pond as you enter, on the left. Might get back there sometime soon.

Lew, there's a reason you saw Mike down on the deck , it's what it does to your images and yup sure one's sanity comes into question, :LOL: Just in case you haven't twigged why wildlife togs so often seek out a low point of view POV, with wildlife go there ..............

have a try at getting your lens as close to the water surface as you possibly can with these gorgeous mandarins. Mate I'm not saying you should be formulaic ,ie go low for every image, but I'd love you to see what happens. rather than me trying to explain.

have fun last image is gorgeous

all the luck

stu

Back