weekly Mandy's 2019 TP-52 Challenge Week 6 and Week 7 themes added

Name
Mandy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi I did a full 52 challenge back in 2014 and made a start in the years 15,16,17 and 18 but due to lack of inspiration time and other commitments I found myself struggling and again not going out with the cameras as much as I would of liked to. I have had to battle with random agency work up until the 8th of August were I was offered a full time CBT forklift job Reach truck job so i now work set days and hours and most importantly I no longer have to work weekends or bank holidays so I have some freedom back again. So I am going to make more of an effort to have fun with my cameras once more and get better at the hobby I enjoy the most, next to motorbikes and horses that is.

My guidelines for this year are as follows.........
  1. Complete the 52 challenge.
  2. Have fun.
  3. No jokers.
  4. Constructive commenting on other people's threads.
  5. Improve my photography.
  6. Get the best out of my camera and lenses.
  7. plenty of outdoor shots.
  8. Improve my indoor shots.
  9. To try new things and go out of my comfort zone now and again.
  10. Improve my PP skills on Lightroom and Photoshop.
So with my intro out the way I will now happily await the first theme for 2019

Themes
Week 1 - New
Week 2 - Clean
Week 3 - Open
Week 4 - Distant
Week 5 - Cold
Week 6 -
Week 7 -
Week 8 -
Week 9 -
Week 10 -

Techniques
Black and white

Last edited:
Its good to be back doing this challenge again, for my first image I have chosen a simple shot to ease myself back in before any fancy stuff starts. So as this first theme is New and I hope that we all got some nice new things for Christmas, I thought I would use my new RC helicopter that my best friend got me for Christmas.

Week 1 New

New (10) by Mandy Miles, on Flickr

I like the shot the colours work well and draws your eyes.
I like the location too works well on the wood and with the background

Nice contrast of the greens and reds there Mandy.
I think your shutter speed may have been too high though, there is no blur to the rotors ;) :coat:

Seriously though, that's come out nicely. Will we get some shots of it flying later in the year?

Nice sharp helicopter with just the right amount of bokeh. Look forward to hopefully seeing it in flight at some point.

New
A good start to the new 52.
Good strong colour and nice and sharp.

Hi Mandy glad you are doing the 52 this year.
New is a very good image and very nicely taken too, f5.6 is a good Aperture to throw the BG out nicely while keeping the RC helicopter pin sharp and a colourful shot too.

All of this :)

Well done Mandy on your first of the year

I like your new toy, and it stands out well from the background good Dof

Nice looking 'copter!

You're off to a good start with this one, Mandy. The helicopter looks excellent sideways on and the colours and details show up really well against the contrasting and OOF green background (y)

I look forward to hearing how you get on with it and maybe seeing images of it in action for a future theme? :)

Hi Mandy glad you are doing the 52 this year.
New is a very good image and very nicely taken too, f5.6 is a good Aperture to throw the BG out nicely while keeping the RC helicopter pin sharp and a colourful shot too.
Thanks for stoping by and commenting.
I like the shot the colours work well and draws your eyes.
I like the location too works well on the wood and with the background
Thanks
Nice contrast of the greens and reds there Mandy.
I think your shutter speed may have been too high though, there is no blur to the rotors ;) :coat:

Seriously though, that's come out nicely. Will we get some shots of it flying later in the year?
Thanks for taking the time to look and comment, wont have shots of that little heli flying as its an indoor model only and my flats not big enough to fly it in. I do however have a bigger RC Heli which can be flown outside. Which could feature in a theme in the not to distant a future.
Nice, sharp shot to start with, Mandy. Background blurred enough not to distract. :clap:
Thank you.
Nice sharp helicopter with just the right amount of bokeh. Look forward to hopefully seeing it in flight at some point.
Thanks.
Hi Mandy, good to have you back. I really enjoy your previous challenge shots. As you said, a simple shot to start and on theme with a new toy.
Thank you, it's good to be back doing the challenge.
New
A good start to the new 52.
Good strong colour and nice and sharp.
Thank you for taking the time to look and comment.
All of this :)

Well done Mandy on your first of the year
I like your new toy, and it stands out well from the background good Dof
Excellent, crisp image.
Very nice colour and tonal contrast front to back....great use of DoF too...background blur is perfect.
(y)
Thank you.
Like the idea, I bought one of these helicopters but could never fly it with crashing into something!
Thanks.
Hi Mandy, welcome back to the challenge! Great picture to start with, Nicely composed.
Thank you.
Nice looking 'copter!
Thank you.
You're off to a good start with this one, Mandy. The helicopter looks excellent sideways on and the colours and details show up really well against the contrasting and OOF green background (y)

I look forward to hearing how you get on with it and maybe seeing images of it in action for a future theme? :)
Thanks............ They are fun to fly but can be tricky, just need to find a place to go and fly the bigger heli, as the little heli is for indoor use only and I dont have the space in my small flat to fly it.

Hi Mandy, nice to see you back :D Good one to start, nice and sharp and good dof. I really like the wall at the bottom too. Hope you don't crash it!!:D

I found week 2 a bit of a hard theme for me, I wasn't sure on what to do but I have gone with this idea a close up shot of my sensor " Clean " brush as for me I find it a fundamental step in attempting to produce nice clean images, and thats to make sure the cameras sensor remains dust free. So I have a sensor " Clean " brush to help me to do this.

Week 2 Clean
Clean by Mandy Miles, on Flickr

Love the dof on the brush shot - needs a bit more light though.

Clean
All of the elements to this photo have been well handled, but like i commented on @Dave70D I wonder if the brush would be bets if it was at a slight angle.

Certainly on theme, and nice DOF. I think it suits B/W too.
Thank you.
Love the dof on the brush shot - needs a bit more light though.
Thanks for stopping by.
I thought it was a make-up brush. Blusher perhaps. I hadn't twigged it was for cleaning sensors (something I really ought to learn to do).
It does work nicely in B&W.
Thanks for stopping by thanks for the comments, defiantly not a blusher brush they are round brushes, and yes cleaning your own sensor with the correct products can save you money, costs me £50 a sensor for both my Nikons when they need doing.
very nice pic works well with just the bristles in focus
Thank you for taking the time to look and comment.
Good shot, just what I put in too.
Thanks for looking
Clean
All of the elements to this photo have been well handled, but like i commented on @Dave70D I wonder if the brush would be best if it was at a slight angle.
Thanks for the comments.

Well composed and interesting shot - I like the vertical composition...really emphasises the depth of field, which is very effective.
Very well processed for B&W too, nice sharp detail on those bristles, and I like the textures on the worktop.
I haven't yet dare go anywhere near my sensor yet! I'm always worried that I'll grind in some sort of gravel into it or something!:LOL:
What can I say?! I'm an oaf!!:wacky:

Hi Mandy

Wk1 Nice photo of your new toy. Counter Rotating blades I see, can you fly it yet. Nice use of the red against the oof green background.
Wk2 Clean, Another Brush, good focus on the bristles, I might have chosen a different background, something darker to seperate the brush a bit more. I also think it being at an angle would help.

Pete

Another sensor cleaning brush, something I don't have at the moment. Making me think I should get one!

I like the shallow DOF and the focus on the bristles but I'm not so keen on the background, think I would have preferred something without the texture.

Unusual to take the picture head on but I quite like it.

Well composed and interesting shot - I like the vertical composition...really emphasises the depth of field, which is very effective.
Very well processed for B&W too, nice sharp detail on those bristles, and I like the textures on the worktop.
I haven't yet dare go anywhere near my sensor yet! I'm always worried that I'll grind in some sort of gravel into it or something!:LOL:
What can I say?! I'm an oaf!!:wacky:
Mandy, I like the angle and dof. On point to me
Perfect focus on the bristles Mandy, I spot on choice for the theme.
Good choice for the theme, Mandy. It looks a touch underexposed to me but the focus is spot on (y)
Hi Mandy

Wk1 Nice photo of your new toy. Counter Rotating blades I see, can you fly it yet. Nice use of the red against the oof green background.
Wk2 Clean, Another Brush, good focus on the bristles, I might have chosen a different background, something darker to seperate the brush a bit more. I also think it being at an angle would help.

Pete
Another sensor cleaning brush, something I don't have at the moment. Making me think I should get one!

I like the shallow DOF and the focus on the bristles but I'm not so keen on the background, think I would have preferred something without the texture.
Unusual to take the picture head on but I quite like it.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Well today I went out into the "open" to visit Dyrham Park which is not very far from me its an ancient deer park set in 270 acres of land. With a 17th century house and formal garden, It was the home of William Blathwayt and his wife Mary Blathwayt. I hope my image shows the house in the middle of the open parkland that surrounds most of the estate as well being out in the open.

Week 3 Open Dyrham House set in "open" parkland

Open by Mandy Miles, on Flickr

Back