weekly Manxmaid's 52 for 2019 - 19 & 20 DECAY & FREE WEEK added

Nice take on the theme Andrea, in my top three for the week.

Thank you very much, Andy, that's much appreciated :)

I like the colour on the sensor and adding the lens pen was a good idea as it adds a story to the image.

Thanks, Steve, I'm glad I added the pen.

New....looks very sci-fi really well executed I think having a light up keyboard would annoy me though
Clean from memory as it’s dissapeared, nice shot showing the sensor the colours caught in it really made it stand out including the pen does really make the image work for the theme

Thanks, Allan. I agree about the keyboard - I couldn't use one like that, either! I have edited the Clean post again today to try to make the image work (I think both Flickr and TP have been making changes in the background) and I hope it is showing again now. Glad you like that one too :)

Love how you have captured the sensor colours and the fingers and pen. I can see how challenging this was.

Thanks, Chris, I quickly realised this was going to be trickier than I thought, but it got me thinking and I'm glad I added the sensor pen :)

Themes are always easy afterwards for some reason. :thinking: Some good detail captured in the image, not least the colours in the sensor and metalwork. Makes for a great image.
(Note to self must not buy another lens)!!.

Thanks, Mandy, it was a challenge but seems to have worked out in the end. More lenses, surely not? :)

Nicely done :D I like the colours showing on the sensor and I think it needed the pen to emphasise the cleaning part. (y)

I really like that I like the colours on the sensor so glad that you didn't go B/W with it

Nicely done :D I like the colours showing on the sensor and I think it needed the pen to emphasise the cleaning part. (y)
I really like that I like the colours on the sensor so glad that you didn't go B/W with it

Thank you both. Yes, the colours on the sensor were what I really wanted so I needed to get the angles just right :)

Week 03 - Open

03 Open
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

I haven't looked at the Images thread yet but I have seen the odd one already for this theme and there are some great ideas. Unfortunately, mine is just a quick one to stay on schedule! I tried a top down view of the open bottle too but couldn't get everything in focus without trying focus stacking and didn't have time to try that today, so it's a very simple one.

Edit: Just realised belatedly that this ticks the technique box for black and white, too :)

Last edited:
Simple maybe but very well executed sharp well lit and I like the BG you have used.

Nicely done - hope it was a decent beer :D

I too think that's a great shot well executed, the background and exposure are good and the idea spot on theme.

Hi Andrea good to see you here again, good luck with your challenge.

New - great start to your challenge with that image, I love the blue light.
Clean - A well taken image, composition is bang on like the inclusion of the lens cleaning brush.
Open - lovely simple take on the theme, well lit and the objects stand out nicely from the BG, lovely work.

Nice, simple and to the point.

Hi Andrea, great image. I like the rough background with lots of black, makes the chrome standout.

Love this Andrea. Very simple but effective. Great mono conversion

Great use of lighting. Shows the texture in the background and bottle opener really well. Looks good on the diagonal.

Simple maybe but very well executed sharp well lit and I like the BG you have used.

Thanks, Allan. It's a slate for cheeses but it comes in really handy as a surface for things like this :)

Plain simple but a great shot Andrea, really do like this and goes bang on in mono too. Love the tones texture and also great lighting (y)(y)
Edit: Just noticed you now have the X-T3 :cool:

Thanks, Dave, it took a lot of fiddling with the light but finally fell into place. Yes, I do indeed - this is the first image I have processed and I wondered if anyone would notice. You win :LOL: I've hardly had the chance to use it yet but the Christmas cashback and trade-in offers were too good to ignore.

Nicely done - hope it was a decent beer :D

Thank you, Dave - I knew I'd have to drink it myself as no one else wanted a beer so I opted for Corona rather than the local Bushy's ale :D

Agreed. Simple but effective!
The top down composition works very well, and the low key mono is marvellous!
Very nice reflections, and the good lighting brings out the textures in the surface.
Great image Andrea!(y)

Thanks, Gareth. It took a while but I enjoyed trying different things until it seemed to work, and because it suited B&W I can tick off the technique too :)

Works really well Andrea, they stand out nicely against that background, especially in B&W.

Took them a while to spot that, didn't it ;)

Thanks, Tim, it was always going to be B&W with those items and background, but I enjoyed the process of getting the light just so.

Dave rumbled me ;) You next? I do like the feel of the slightly deeper grip.

I too think that's a great shot well executed, the background and exposure are good and the idea spot on theme.

Thank you, Lindsay, I do like the texture of that slate :)

very nice well laid out and the background as said is great.

Thank you, Peter, I would have liked to get the bottle in the shot too but this seems to work with just the two items and the slate is a nice surface.

Yep, simple but effective and perfect in the b&w too.

Thanks, Susie :)

Simple and nicely done. Did you try the shot with the objects the other way round?

Thanks, Bob. I did try a few other layouts and I also tried some with a couple of ring pulls but they seemed to be a distraction.

Hi Andrea good to see you here again, good luck with your challenge.

New - great start to your challenge with that image, I love the blue light.
Clean - A well taken image, composition is bang on like the inclusion of the lens cleaning brush.
Open - lovely simple take on the theme, well lit and the objects stand out nicely from the BG, lovely work.

Thanks for the catch-up and your comments, Mandy. The weeks seem to be flying by already! :)

Nice, simple and to the point.

Thanks, Rob :)

Yep, that's ace. Nice deep shadows, simple composition and rough textured background. What's not to like? Good stuff.

Thanks, Carl, glad you like it.

Hi Andrea, great image. I like the rough background with lots of black, makes the chrome standout.

Thanks, Dom, they combined well and were perfect to tick the B&W box.

Great detail in a simple but very effective Image.

Pete

Thank you, Pete :)

Love this Andrea. Very simple but effective. Great mono conversion

Thanks, Ian, it was nice when it all came together :)

I agree with the other comments, I like the framing, POV, lighting and background.

Thank you, Steve.

Great use of lighting. Shows the texture in the background and bottle opener really well. Looks good on the diagonal.

Thanks, Mandy, the lighting took the longest so it was nice when it all worked :)

Yes, yes, yes and the background really makes the shot to me. What is it out of curiosity ?

Thanks, Chris, it's a slate for cheeses, but it also makes a nice surface for photographing things like this :)

Hi Andrea,

Doing a bit of a comment catch up...

New - Wow, that's a cool looking keyboard and headset. Great shot with the reflection too.
Clean - It's job that always makes me nervous beforehand but glad I've once done it afterwards! Good shot. Perfect for the theme and sharp from front to back.
Open - That's a belter of an image. Sharp detail and perfect mono conversion. Like (y)

Hi Andrea,

Doing a bit of a comment catch up...

New - Wow, that's a cool looking keyboard and headset. Great shot with the reflection too.
Clean - It's job that always makes me nervous beforehand but glad I've once done it afterwards! Good shot. Perfect for the theme and sharp from front to back.
Open - That's a belter of an image. Sharp detail and perfect mono conversion. Like (y)

Thanks for the catch-up, Lee, and the kind comments. The keyboard is my son's favourite Christmas present :)

Open - simple but effective I like the slate background and the b/w suits it

Week 4 - Distant

04 Distant
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

The weather ruined my weekend plans but redeemed itself today with this weather front. We are due to get snow tonight and this is the view across the bay to where the sunset was lighting up the distant clouds and incoming snow front, while Langness lighthouse warned distant shipping. I hope that ticks enough boxes :) I opted for a letterbox crop as the top and bottom of the scene were just dark grey clouds and sea.

Last edited:
Lovely shot for distant, somehow the letter box crop makes it all seam more distant.

The letter box works nicely Andrea, it helps with the wide angle of the shot.
It's great how you've caught the oncoming weather like that and some lovely colours, though I'm not sure that the red sky you've captured that evening signifies "Shepherd's delight".

A fantastic moody shot, really nice.

Back