weekly Manxmaid's 52 for 2019 - 19 & 20 DECAY & FREE WEEK added

Hi Andrea

New - cool shot, I like the reflection of the lights in the screen, you were right to turn it off.
Clean - vey topical. The sensor looks really colourful, which draws the eye and lifts the whole image.
Open - simple, with great texture. Almost looks like a corporate logo to me.
Distant - lovely, I like the muted colours and the crop works really well. Lighthouse on the left and rainclouds on the right, there's interest right the way across.

Good luck with your 52!

Great image, works very well in the letterbox crop.
Amazing drama in that sky...lovely colours and the distant clouds to the lower right (looks like rain) are tremendous!
The lighthouse makes a perfect focal point too.
Very nice indeed!(y)

I really like this - great distant clouds, distant weather front and as others said, the letterbox crop works great for this

Loving the colours in the sky. The irish sea looks pretty calm... certainly emphasises the distance. Crop suits it well.

Like the colours you have captured in the sky Andrea. Letter box crop works really well.

Distant is a great image Andrea, liking the colours in the sky and the lighthouse in the distant BG. Glad the weather was a bit nicer for you too.

Thank you, Dave, the colours were changing all the time as the snow clouds were moving so I kept stopping to take more photos. The dog was very patient :)

Lovely shot for distant, somehow the letter box crop makes it all seam more distant.

Thanks, Roger, I'm glad I tried it as it does seem to suit the scene.

very nice take on it and the sky works well.

Thanks, Peter, the sky was lovely.

A wonderful shot. Great colours in the sky.

Thank you, Bob, the colours were wonderful and changing all the time. This was the sky in the other direction:

Sunset Harbour by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

The letter box works nicely Andrea, it helps with the wide angle of the shot.
It's great how you've caught the oncoming weather like that and some lovely colours, though I'm not sure that the red sky you've captured that evening signifies "Shepherd's delight".

Thanks, Tim, the letterbox crop was the last edit and I'm glad I tried it as it does seem to suit the scene. The sky was lovely but you're right, the wind was getting up and the next day was absolutely freezing.

A fantastic moody shot, really nice.

Thank you, Jim, I was glad to out there to watch it.

I’ll put my comment in the right place Andrea ....just put it in the no comments thread :rolleyes:

You’ve caught a lovely sky there Andrea with that hint of pink, nicely placed distant lighthouse, it’s perfect for the theme.

Oops, I hope you enjoyed your doughnut! :D Thank you, it was perfect with the sun setting behind us and the huge clouds. This was the view in the other direction:

Sunset Harbour by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Hi Andrea

New - cool shot, I like the reflection of the lights in the screen, you were right to turn it off.
Clean - vey topical. The sensor looks really colourful, which draws the eye and lifts the whole image.
Open - simple, with great texture. Almost looks like a corporate logo to me.
Distant - lovely, I like the muted colours and the crop works really well. Lighthouse on the left and rainclouds on the right, there's interest right the way across.

Good luck with your 52!

Thank you for looking back through my images so far, Nick, and for your positive comments. Best of luck with your 52, as well (y)

Great image, works very well in the letterbox crop.
Amazing drama in that sky...lovely colours and the distant clouds to the lower right (looks like rain) are tremendous!
The lighthouse makes a perfect focal point too.
Very nice indeed!(y)

Thanks, Gareth, I was glad I went to that beach as it was looking out to the snow clouds between us and Cumbria as the sun set behind us. The light was wonderful for about 30 minutes and when the lighthouse started blinking too my wish was granted :)

I really like this - great distant clouds, distant weather front and as others said, the letterbox crop works great for this

Thank you, Ian, it was one of those moments when you get what you were looking for, and then a bit more on top!

Loving the colours in the sky. The irish sea looks pretty calm... certainly emphasises the distance. Crop suits it well.

Thanks, Mandy. Yes it wasn't too rough that day but it was VERY cold!

The letterbox crop suits it really well. Like the colour coming through the clouds, quite moody

Beautiful photo Andrea, caught the lighting and the lighthouse light just right.

Very nice caught at just the right time

Like the colours you have captured in the sky Andrea. Letter box crop works really well.

Thank you all, it was lovely to see the weather front reflecting the colours of the sunset behind me.

Hi Andrea,

clean
A very good picture I think. Nicely exposed and bang on theme, I like the composition of it.
open
very nice, simple and effective, nicely lit and the bg is great too.
distant
A nice seascape, the letter box crop certainly suits it.

Thanks, Michael, much appreciated (y)

Week 5 - Cold

05 Cold
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

This was a frustrating week, seeing photogenic snow around the UK for a few days while the sprinkling on the hills here was all but gone by the weekend. I ventured up our one mountain and tried a few angles but the snow was patchy and the sky was very bland. Tried a long-range shot of the snowy Lake District mountains but there was too much blue in the atmosphere and my editing couldn't summon up a decent image. Waited for the forecast snow last night but it was only a couple of hours of slush :banghead:

So, it's another inside image. I aimed for a light image with shallow DOF highlighting the colour and texture of the ice cream, and then cropped in to exclude the background and concentrate entirely on the ice cream. I didn't eat it but I am having a rum and coke with lots of ice that didn't work out as an image but tastes good :beer::p

Last edited:
Two very good shots for cold Andrea, my choice is the 1st one as really do like the Dof in it plus the little air bubbles in the bit flowing over.

You were too fast for me, Dave! Looking at the two together I decided to delete #2 as the first one is clearly the stronger image. I'm glad you agreed and didn't pick the other one while I was busy editing my post :D

Mmmmmm.... cold grub lovely grub :)

Fantastic food image. Love the little bit of melted ice cream. That lens certainly shows the texture well in the photo. Looks delicious and gets the taste buds going. (y)

Superb idea I would say that though wouldn’t I, interesting idea to go so close

I do so love a good macro....and ice cream!!

Expertly taken image Andrea, my goodness the detail on those tiny bubbles in the ice cream is bitingly sharp.
Fantastic sharpness, lovely smooth background, superb use of DoF and the colours are excellent. Perfect for the theme!
Very nice work!(y)

Mmmmmm.... cold grub lovely grub :)

Thanks, Dave, I didn't fancy eating it at the time but looking at the photo now is tempting...

Not easy to find a focal point on that one Andrea, you’ve done well to capture the frothy bit, perfect for the theme too.

Thanks, Susie, it was a surprisingly difficult to find a good angle and it was melting quickly :)

Love the texture and colour of the ice cream, I too struggled this week by lack of snow. Had to make do in 28 degrees of heat ! Nice composition

Thanks, Chris. I would definitely have preferred your weather struggles to mine :D

Texture and colour just right, and obviously on theme.

Thank you, Bob :)

Fantastic food image. Love the little bit of melted ice cream. That lens certainly shows the texture well in the photo. Looks delicious and gets the taste buds going. (y)

Thanks very much, Mandy, it was melting really fast but that soft bit at the front adds some different colour and texture. I must admit it's tempting looking at it just now :)

Superb idea I would say that though wouldn’t I, interesting idea to go so close

:LOL: thank you, Allan. To be honest I was struggling with the angle and the background so I ended up cropping in closer for the close-up details.

I do so love a good macro....and ice cream!!

Expertly taken image Andrea, my goodness the detail on those tiny bubbles in the ice cream is bitingly sharp.
Fantastic sharpness, lovely smooth background, superb use of DoF and the colours are excellent. Perfect for the theme!
Very nice work!(y)

Thanks very much, Gareth, I didn't even see the tiny bubbles in real life as it was melting fast and I was trying to work quickly. I was surprised to see them when editing the image but they do seem to add something to the textures.

Like all the best shots, Andrea, they look so simple, but that's all down to the photographer & their vision for the shot.
Nice one.

Thanks very much, Tim. It ended up being simpler than intended with a crop to exclude any background, but I decided it didn't bring anything to the theme.

Last edited:
Week 6 - Waiting

06 Waiting
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr
After being a few hours late with last week's theme I'm early (very early for me!) with this week's :banana:

We live a short walk from one of the stations on the IOM Steam Railway and I was certain there was a lovely brass plaque on the door of the waiting room saying Waiting or Waiting Room. My memory let me down - perhaps I'm thinking of another station - but this one had the words stencilled on the door in a traditional font and allowed a glimpse of the old-fashioned waiting room beyond, which I liked.

I went for a literal take on this week's theme, as you can see, and processed it with a slightly aged and vignetted effect to add to the feel of a Victorian building. By the way, that's not my shadow on the door. I only noticed it while editing and it's the shadow of something (hat stand or tall plant?) in the main doorway behind me. A bit annoying and I may nip back for another look when the light is different.

Last edited:
Cold
Yum yum, I do like a bit of vanilla ice cream.

Waiting
I'm not sure I have ever see you so early with a theme :exit:.
I really quite like this one, the light loves lovely, there's just the right amount of door and bench showing and I like the dof (y)

Whooops, catching up here....

New-Love the blue. Works well for the theme
Clean-Great idea, focus is bang on, looks like a very good stock photo
Open-Nice, simple and graphic. The mono conversion works very well on this image. The texture on the slate is lovely
Distant-Lovely colours in the sky, works well for the them too. I like the pano crop. I like the shot taken in the other direction too
Cold-Yep, that looks cold! Nice use of DOF.
Waiting-Great use of DOF, nice composition, and the processing is great. Nicely done

Waiting - great image. The processing has done it complete justice. An intriguing look into the past ;)

Nice tones on that door - fab pic :D

Great work Andrea!(y)
I'm with Tim, I rather like the way the shadow frames the lettering.
Nice sharp detail and texture on that old door, and the out of focus benches work well too.
Just enough detail in the floor which adds to the aged feel
Marvellous!

I really like that great processing and an excellent composition, don't think we will see anything better this week.

Back