weekly Manxmaid's 52 for 2020: Week 51 & 52 - Showcase & Decorate

Just came across your other catchup shots.

Broken; another fabulous shot love the contrasting colours and the man-make steel pipe against the natural grassland.

Wild; you done well considering the condition. Love the colour of the sea and the big white waves.

Snapper Choice; well spotted and I also wonder why she was there all alone too.

Snappers choice is a good image that really works well in Mono.
Wild a lovely picture of the windswept coast.
Broken like the colour and textures.
Ability Good shot with just the right amount of prop blur.

Lovely shots since my last visit. I like your broken shot the orange and rust really pops

Four nice images for your catch up Andrea.
Whilst I like the colours captured (especially in #2) I am really drawn to #1 and the look of isolation. Both in the physical sense and the mental sense. She looks alone with her thoughts on the phone and could equally be alone on the beach or surrounded by a large crowd and yet would be in her own world.

A lovely way to catch up Andrea.
Snapper's Choice. I think the lone person on the beach makes the shot.
Wild. What a great sea and captured nicely.
Broken. The colours are lovely in the sun.
Ability. That's a great head on shot of the plane which looks good against the blue sky.

Lovely image Andrea, great interpretation too.

Plus the ability of pilots to fly a tin can, a very nice shot Andrea and great prop blur.

Thanks, Dave. It's a while since I've been there but it's great to be able to walk right underneath as they come in. Not very many at the moment though, as Flybe served about half of the routes :(

That's a fab shot, Andrea. Perfect exposure time - long enough to blur the props while the rest of the plane is pin sharp.
Just came across your other catchup shots.

Broken; another fabulous shot love the contrasting colours and the man-make steel pipe against the natural grassland.

Wild; you done well considering the condition. Love the colour of the sea and the big white waves.

Snapper Choice; well spotted and I also wonder why she was there all alone too.

Thanks very much for the comments, Stan. It did seem strange that she was on a windswept beach completely alone and was checking her phone. Just had a thought - maybe she had taken a photo of the waves and was checking it :)

Snappers choice is a good image that really works well in Mono.
Wild a lovely picture of the windswept coast.
Broken like the colour and textures.
Ability Good shot with just the right amount of prop blur.

Thanks very much for your comments, Roger. I'm doing a poor job of keeping up at the moment and wouldn't you know that the weather has been bright and sunny for the last few days when I need an image for 'Winter'! I need to do some lateral thinking...

Nicely done Andrea and the ability for something that size and shape to fly is amazing, those props never look much.
Andrea your broken shot has great colour and texture. What is under the field that needs venting?
Hi Andrea, sorry my comments are in the wrong order, I do this like reading the paper, starting from the end, lovely seascape for Wild. Beautiful coastline you have there.
And another your snappers choice pick is another fine shot, well done on starting your catch up.

Thank you for looking in and commenting on the new images, Clive - I appreciate your time whatever the order :) I wondered about the pipes or vents too but I think @Cobra's suggestion of a landfill vent is spot on, as they are very close to quarry workings and I wouldn't be surprised if this was a former landfill site.

Lovely shots since my last visit. I like your broken shot the orange and rust really pops

Thank you, Alison - the colour of rust and the textures in that one really do!

Four nice images for your catch up Andrea.
Whilst I like the colours captured (especially in #2) I am really drawn to #1 and the look of isolation. Both in the physical sense and the mental sense. She looks alone with her thoughts on the phone and could equally be alone on the beach or surrounded by a large crowd and yet would be in her own world.

Thanks very much, Tim. I was trying to catch the waves when I spotted her and wondered why she was there, so I'm glad that sense of isolation comes over in the image. It was probably my least favourite of the four catch up images but it has grown on me a lot.

A lovely way to catch up Andrea.
Snapper's Choice. I think the lone person on the beach makes the shot.
Wild. What a great sea and captured nicely.
Broken. The colours are lovely in the sun.
Ability. That's a great head on shot of the plane which looks good against the blue sky.

Thanks very much for the comments, Pete, and I think you're right about the lone person on the beach ; that image has grown on me and I still wonder why she was standing there in the gale force winds.

Lovely image Andrea, great interpretation too.

Thanks, Chris!

Some great images for the themes. Love the colours in Wild and Broken

Thank you, Helen - the weather was very different on those two days but colourful in different ways. Now I still need to do my 'Winter' image and it's been bright and sunny for days - time for some lateral thinking!

Snappers choice, wild, broken
All good shots, I do rather like wild.

Ability
You've got the right shutter speed, it's a bit of a shame about the wing tips.

Ability - Nice capture I like the composition and a little bit of blur in the props too.

Thanks, Mark :)

Snappers choice, wild, broken
All good shots, I do rather like wild.

Ability
You've got the right shutter speed, it's a bit of a shame about the wing tips.

Thanks, Dominic - that sort of rough sea is one of my favourite things. I would normally agree about the wing tips but this was a deliberate choice to crop them off this time; I just preferred to concentrate on the details of the fuselage, props, wheels and lights etc.

Week 9 - Winter

09 Winter
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

I'm doing a rubbish job of catching up :( My luck was out with getting a winter-y shot as the weather has been mostly dry and sunny and my back-up ideas didn't work out, but there was a bitterly cold wind yesterday so I nipped out to a location that always delivers decent waves and splashes over the rocks. Hopefully this conveys the sense of winter weather even though it was Spring!

We're now on complete lockdown like the UK and from Thursday night not even residents will be able to return to the island. I'll be catching up with my remaining images while on my daily walk with the dog or creating something indoors, but we're all in the same boat so good luck and stay well everyone.

I'm really sorry I haven't been around all the threads recently but as soon as I'm up-to-date I will be there :exit:

Last edited:
Week 10 - Depict A Book

10 Depict A Book
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Oh dear, lack of time means this is a real stretch for this theme, but if I said it was really, really quiet when I took this could you guess the book title? :D

It's also a deeply average image but it's one step closer to being up-to-date again.

Silence of the Lambs :)

Last edited:
Got to be ba ba black sheep! Only joking with yew.:D It fits the theme perfectly Andrea.

Those lambs look very quiet :thinking: works for me

nice seascape too for winter lovely colour in the water

currently playing catch up myself luckily I've been able to go back a couple of months to make things kind of fit

Last edited:
Week 11 - Transport + Technique

11 Transport by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

And here's the third image in this little catch-up!

Because of the social distancing advice in force here at present (which will become a lockdown on Thursday night) the car park at a local beauty spot was almost deserted when we took the dog there for a run. This little red car was parked at the top of the hill on its own and I thought it would make a nice shot for this theme. I got down on the ground to get the separation under the car and realised it might make a high key image as it was standing directly against the bright sky.

I've read some definitiions and looked back through the 52 Discussion thread and as some texture is allowed in a High Key image I think this might fit the technique, but happy to take advice?

Those lambs look very quiet :thinking: works form me

nice seascape too for winter lovely colour in the water

currently playing catch up myself luckily I've been able to go back a couple of months to make things kind of fit

Thanks Allan, and good to see you back. I am looking forward to seeing your images and takes on the themes, and I'll be along soon!

Winter - Lovely image Andrea works for me.

Book - Yep works for me love how the sheep is at staring at you.

Transport - Fits the theme and you got the technique done too.

Hey Andrea.
Good to see you're still in :)

Winter - Nice crisp sharp shot with hard light, so it looks the part even though it's spring :)
Book - I think I'm with Allan on this, while the lambs are feeding (drinking chianti?) they aren't making any noise.
Everyone shoe horned Book...
Transport - I'd say the key light is from above, the background has blown to white and the dynamic range is reduced, so High Key in my book. Nice find and cool capture for the technique.

A Very nice catch up Andrea.
The Winter image is really good nicely processed too (y)

( Oh and BTW Bah Bah black sheep is a Non.gif these days apparently its Bah Bah Rainbow sheep gotta try harder :D

(FFS :rolleyes: )

Winter - Lovely image Andrea works for me.

Book - Yep works for me love how the sheep is at staring at you.

Transport - Fits the theme and you got the technique done too.

Thanks, Mark! Yes, I liked the way she was keeping an eye on me, too :)

Hey Andrea.
Good to see you're still in :)

Winter - Nice crisp sharp shot with hard light, so it looks the part even though it's spring :)
Book - I think I'm with Allan on this, while the lambs are feeding (drinking chianti?) they aren't making any noise.
Everyone shoe horned Book...
Transport - I'd say the key light is from above, the background has blown to white and the dynamic range is reduced, so High Key in my book. Nice find and cool capture for the technique.

Clinging on by my fingernails, Tim! I was struggling to balance photo club committee stuff with actually doing photography, and although club meetings are now suspended I've been trying to set up ways for the members to keep in touch, especially as many of them are 'at risk' and self isolating. Hopefully I can get completely up to date with images and commenting in the next few days though. I feel well out of the loop at present.

I'm glad the Transport image also ticks High Key; I thought it probably was but wasn't sure. Glad to hear everyone shoe horned Book, too :) That was tougher than I expected.

A Very nice catch up Andrea.
The Winter image is really good nicely processed too (y)

( Oh and BTW Bah Bah black sheep is a View attachment 273021 these days apparently its Bah Bah Rainbow sheep gotta try harder :D

(FFS :rolleyes: )

Thanks Chris, the waves and colours in the water are usually good at that spot, and the temperature was definitely wintery!

I wasn't aiming for Baa Baa Black Sheep so I hope everyone got the not-so-subtle "very, very quiet" hint with the image. I agree with your FFS :rolleyes: ...

Of the lot I love the book title, what a cracking film it was too.

Thanks Dave, it certainly was.

I like the angle of your high key transport picture, looks high key to me (as if I would know).
Silence of the lambs clever idea.
Lovely wintery sea.

Thank you, Clive, much appreciated. I am aiming to get around everyone's threads in the next few days to catch up again.

No need to panic on that front. I put a post up a week or so ago. No one is going on the wall until after we've been down the Winchester and waited for all this to blow over.

I did read that, and that's a good idea while people are adjusting to this new normal. I almost caught up at the start of the month and fell behind again, but I think I got my Fence image this evening before we go into a full lockdown and I'll have to find something in the garden for Flora! Hope you are keeping well and I'll be along to your thread very soon :)

Week 12 - Fence(d)

12 Fence by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Three weeks ago I replied to Tim @LC2 above and said I thought I had got my Fence image that evening, the evening before the island went into lockdown. I had - but it took me until now to get it off the camera and process it. I'm sure I am not alone in struggling to give much time or thought to photography in recent weeks but I do enjoy it when I make the effort so here goes (again!) on trying to get up to date and re-engage with the 52.

I picked a high contrast look for this one as the light path and fence stood out well under the darker trees and leaves, and I think it adds to the tension of wondering what lies around the corner, out of sight.

Back