weekly Manxmaid's 52 for 2020: Week 51 & 52 - Showcase & Decorate

It really is a wonderful image and perfectly sums up your passion and enjoyment of photography Andrea.:clap:
The light glare doesn't bother me too much, and I really like how you've placed the lens of your X-T2 right on the spiral staircase...very clever composition.
I can spot an image I remember from last year - those adorable lambs to the top left, another great image!

A lovely way to showcase the "Pleasure" theme. I like the colour and the way the photos are thoughtfully laid out as a background.

I like your take on pleasure works really well plenty of interest in there. Nicely set up (reflection aside) a bright and colourful image.

I wish I'd thought about that for the theme! So obvious as we all enjoy it and yet it didn't cross my mind! I also love printing my photos. I printed someone else's recently and was surprised how much pleasure that gave me too.

I didn't spot the reflection until you mentioned it, but now I have, I agree I think a reshoot is worth it.

Lovely idea and I like that you included the camera too.

Nicely thought out and set up shot :)

What a clever idea, well thought out Andrea!

Excellent image, clever idea lots of lovely colours.

Love the idea of the pleasure theme, nice and colourful, the only thing wrong is that it should have been a Nikon camera :exit:

Great submission for pleasure! Lots of colourful prints as background for the camera, looks like a Fuji ad!

I really like it even with the reflection, I love all the photos.

Thanks minx, that's very kind :) I haven't had the time and the right light to have another go but I will.

Lovely and very clever shot. Really like it, and what a great collection of prints!

Thank you - it was nice to look back on them. Makes me think I should do more with them!

It really is a wonderful image and perfectly sums up your passion and enjoyment of photography Andrea.:clap:
The light glare doesn't bother me too much, and I really like how you've placed the lens of your X-T2 right on the spiral staircase...very clever composition.
I can spot an image I remember from last year - those adorable lambs to the top left, another great image!

Thank you, Gareth, and well spotted with the position of the lens on the spiral - it seemed to be the perfect spot! Yes the lambs were for Young last year and the moss and one of the sunsets were for previous themes too :)

A lovely way to showcase the "Pleasure" theme. I like the colour and the way the photos are thoughtfully laid out as a background.

Thank you - glad you liked the idea.

I wish I'd thought about that for the theme! So obvious as we all enjoy it and yet it didn't cross my mind! I also love printing my photos. I printed someone else's recently and was surprised how much pleasure that gave me too.

I didn't spot the reflection until you mentioned it, but now I have, I agree I think a reshoot is worth it.

Lovely idea and I like that you included the camera too.

Thank you - as soon as I thought of it, it seemed the perfect choice :) I agree, there's something about seeing an image roll off the printer and holding it in your hand, and I have really enjoyed it since buying my printer a couple of years ago. I will definitely re-shoot it but I haven't had the time or the right light this week.

Hi Andrea, nice to see all those printed photos. Well done.

Thanks Clive, I did enjoy laying it out and seeing all the prints (y)

Nicely thought out and set up shot :)

Thanks, Dave :)

What a clever idea, well thought out Andrea!

Thanks Chris :)

Excellent image, clever idea lots of lovely colours.

Thank you, Roger - a clever idea in week 2?! I've peaked too early :D

Love the idea of the pleasure theme, nice and colourful, the only thing wrong is that it should have been a Nikon camera :exit:

Thanks, Paul, glad you like it. As for Nikon - been there, done that! :LOL:

Great submission for pleasure! Lots of colourful prints as background for the camera, looks like a Fuji ad!

Thanks Bernd, it does look a bit like that :)

Week 3 - Tool(s)

03 Tools (of the Trade) by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

I had this idea and took some photos last Sunday, but it's taken me until now to download and process. I'm determined to keep up to date so stayed up late to post it :)

I thought the harbour might be a rich hunting ground for this theme and found a few promising scenes, but I was lucky that a couple of fishermen were sorting out their lobster posts and arranging them along the harbour wall. I decided to incorporate the harbour light in the background to set the scene and chose monochrome to bring out the textures of the knotted fibres in the pots.

Lovely image Andrea great composition, I really like the DoF. The B&W conversion really suits the subject.

Week 3 - Tool(s)

03 Tools (of the Trade) by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

I had this idea and took some photos last Sunday, but it's taken me until now to download and process. I'm determined to keep up to date so stayed up late to post it [emoji4]

I thought the harbour might be a rich hunting ground for this theme and found a few promising scenes, but I was lucky that a couple of fishermen were sorting out their lobster posts and arranging them along the harbour wall. I decided to incorporate the harbour light in the background to set the scene and chose monochrome to bring out the textures of the knotted fibres in the pots.

Hi Andrea, I am very biased as living on the coast I love all things coastal.. I love the composition of your photo and the DOF.
Huge thumb’s up from me.
Good luck in your quest of completing this years submissions.

Lovely photo, well composed, great DoF and great B&W processing (y)

A different tool for a change (y)

I do envy you living on an island, so much potential in such a small area (y)

This is great. I like the low point of view and the shallow depth of field that hints at a lighthouse in the background. Like the mono processing too.

As others have beat me to it i will reiterate what has been said. Great use of depth of field on those lobster pots nice processing as well as they suit the B & W style and a good subject for the theme as well.

Lovely shallow doffy mono for tools :)

Lovely picture the mono conversion brings out the detail in the lobster pots.

Love the composition on this, and b&w suits it very well. The oof lighthouse is inspired.

Thank you, I composed with and without the light but I thought it set the scene in a harbour.

Lovely image Andrea great composition, I really like the DoF. The B&W conversion really suits the subject.

Thanks Mark, it was great to read this early feedback about the DOF and B&W as I wasn't quite sure at first :)

I like that Andrea, great out our focus background.

Thanks for the feedback, Clive, I'm really glad it seems to have worked (y)

Lovely detail in the foreground... suits B&W very well

Thanks Helen, glad it's worked for you too :)

Hi Andrea, I am very biased as living on the coast I love all things coastal.. I love the composition of your photo and the DOF.
Huge thumb’s up from me.
Good luck in your quest of completing this years submissions.

Thanks Heather, there is something about living near the sea and I count myself lucky :) Glad the image worked for you.

Lovely shot Andrea. I like the B&W treatment and the depth of field.

Well done for staying on top [emoji4]

Thanks Bebop, much appreciated :)

Lovely photo, well composed, great DoF and great B&W processing (y)

Thank you, Bernd, glad you like it. I thought it might be a bit 'Marmite' but it seems to be the right choice :)

Excellent image. My fave for the theme so far.

Thank you very much, Bob, that's lovely to read, especially when I wasn't 100% sure about it :D

A different tool for a change (y)

I do envy you living on an island, so much potential in such a small area (y)

Thank you, Chris - I know we are lucky but conversely I sometimes envy people living in the big cities with a wide choice of activities or easier access to other towns and cities. I think wherever we live we're always peering over the wall to the grass on the other side, however briefly! :D

Great tools image Andrea. Love the processing and the composition.

Thanks, Bill, much appreciated.

This is great. I like the low point of view and the shallow depth of field that hints at a lighthouse in the background. Like the mono processing too.

Thank you Pete, glad you like it as I tried a few things but this has grown on me!

I think it`s a great shot for the theme Andrea as spot on with the shallow Dof and the blurred Lighthouse plus B&W makes it a cracker.

Thanks very much, Dave.

Nicely done Andrea. Quite like the use of the pots as leading lines to the harbour light, so (y) on the composition:)
As others have said, B&W really suits it.
Schplendid!

Thanks very much, Tim - it's really nice to know it worked out when I wasn't sure to start with :)

That's a beauty Andrea!:clap:
Echoing what has been said - first class use of DoF, excellent B&W processing and compositionally flawless!
Marvellous Indeed!

Oooh Gareth, you are very kind :) There was the added bonus of a nice chat with one of the friendly fishermen so a successful stroll all round.

As others have beat me to it i will reiterate what has been said. Great use of depth of field on those lobster pots nice processing as well as they suit the B & W style and a good subject for the theme as well.

I've been catching up with comments this week and often finding people have already said what I am thinking so thank you for your feedback, Paul, it is much appreciated!

Lovely shallow doffy mono for tools :)

Thanks you, Dave - I like "doffy" :)

Lovely picture the mono conversion brings out the detail in the lobster pots.

Thank you, Roger - so glad I chose B&W now.

I like that, the b/w suits it and I like the oof harbour light in the background

I like that, the b/w suits it and I like the oof harbour light in the background

Thank you, Alison.

That's a very nice shot, Andrea. :clap: I just love everything about it, the composition, the shallow depth-of-field with the out-of-focus harbour light background and the black and white processing. :clap:

Thank you very much, Stan - it's great when an idea works out (it doesn't happen that often!) :)

Back