weekly Manxmaid's 52 for 2020: Week 51 & 52 - Showcase & Decorate

Very nice shot for tools, I like those type of images, and always try and get similar when we visit Whitby.

Week 4 - Discarded

04 Discarded
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

This location came straight to mind for this theme but weather and lack of time last week conspired to keep me away. Even today we were blown sideways by the wind but hopefully this is worth it. It is a former lead mine in a very rich vein of ore, but the bottom of the shaft was below sea level and the cost of the operation became uneconomic so the site was eventually discarded by the mining company.

Yes, the chimney really is leaning! It was about twice as high as this until 2012 when the top half broke off in a storm. Much of the site is fenced off due to concealed shafts and holes but this part is open and surrounded by the remains of long gone buildings and structures. I included some of the surrounding rubble and gorse, and although the colour version was quite nice against the blue sky, I opted for monochrome as it showed the details of the buildings and seemed to suit the scene.

Last edited:
Very nice image, really suits the B&W treatment with great contrast.

A really nice photo and mono was a good choice!

Its been quite a few years since I've been to Mann, but I recognised it instantly!
Nice processing Andrea it works well.

Agree, the B&W processing really does suit it, it has a sort of crunchy feel with suits the stonework.
An interesting read on your flickr page and the additional info on here that it was blowing a hooley while you were taking it.

Grrat image. I really like the composition and the B&W plus grain really suits the image (and theme), and the clouds almost look like steam coming from the chimney. Lovely stuff.

Cracking shot there Andrea thought I was back in Cornwall for a while!

you are doing well with the B & W shots Andrea, very selective editing for the discarded image and I'm pleased you mentioned the chimney leaning as it was the first thing I noticed.

Very nice image, really suits the B&W treatment with great contrast.

Thanks Rick, much appreciated.

That is a belter of a shot Andrea, glad you said about the leaning chimney. Great sky sets it all off beautifully with the surroundings and love the tones and texture in the flint :clap::clap:

Thanks, Dave :) Yes, the chimney is the first thing you notice in real life too - so imagine what it looked like when it was twice that height! No wonder the top half eventually broke off in a storm.

A really nice photo and mono was a good choice!

Thank you, Dave.

Really nice image for Discarded very nice B&W processing too.

Thanks, Mark - I hmm'd and haa'd about it but B&W does suit the textures.

Its been quite a few years since I've been to Mann, but I recognised it instantly!
Nice processing Andrea it works well.

Thank you, Chris. Yes, it is a distinctive building and especially with the wonky chimney!

Agree, the B&W processing really does suit it, it has a sort of crunchy feel with suits the stonework.
An interesting read on your flickr page and the additional info on here that it was blowing a hooley while you were taking it.

Thanks, Tim - I like "crunchy" to describe the textures and processing, that's the feel I was aiming for. The colour was quite nice but this one screamed for monochrome. Glad you read the Flickr description too - for something like this I like to give a background, as you may have noticed :)

Grrat image. I really like the composition and the B&W plus grain really suits the image (and theme), and the clouds almost look like steam coming from the chimney. Lovely stuff.

Thanks very much, Jim - the stones and bricks just screamed for monochrome and it does seem to suit buildings, especially of this era.

Very nice and well suited to black and white.

Thank you, Clive.

Reactions: LC2
Cracking shot there Andrea thought I was back in Cornwall for a while!

Thanks Roger :) I sometimes have that reaction when I see images of old mine buildings in Cornwall that look just like the ones here. Same era and industry, I suppose.

you are doing well with the B & W shots Andrea, very selective editing for the discarded image and I'm pleased you mentioned the chimney leaning as it was the first thing I noticed.

Thank you, Paul - yes, the chimney is very distinctive and looked even more odd when it was twice as high! I realised this was the second successive B&W image in this year's 52 whereas in a previous year it was about week 40 before I posted the first B&W. I think sometimes it's to do with mood and phases we go through, but mainly the subject.

I agree with your selection of mono to suit the scene and your inclusion of surroundings to add context too.

Thanks, Stan, I tried a lot of different angles and points of view but I liked the slope of rubble in this one. I think it does add context, as you said.

Nice shot for discarded, looks good in black n white

Like the angle on this shot and lovely contrast in the b&w which gives it an industrial feel.

Nice discarded shot Andrea. I agree with a previous comment that the clouds do look a bit like smoke. b & w does lend itself to the theme, but I can imagine it would also look good in colour.

Lovely angle on the building Andrea and great in mono. I love the way these old mine buildings sit in and become part of the landscape.

Hi Andrea,
The abandoned mines in Cornwall are a favourite of mine whenever we visit. I have tried taking them in colour and B&W but I feel the emotions it evokes are far greater when taken in B&W. The post processing is superb, I am in awe. Big thumbs up from me.

Last edited:
It's a good pov and looks good in black & white.

Thanks, Dominic. I scrambled around to get a few different angles but thought this one looked best.

Nice shot for discarded, looks good in black n white

Thanks Tilly, it did scream to be converted to B&W :)

Like the angle on this shot and lovely contrast in the b&w which gives it an industrial feel.

Thank you, Helen, that was the look I was aiming for :)

Nice discarded shot Andrea. I agree with a previous comment that the clouds do look a bit like smoke. b & w does lend itself to the theme, but I can imagine it would also look good in colour.

Thank you, Bebop, the sky was a really nice blue but the scene really cried out for B&W. I hadn't noticed the thing with the clouds but they do look a bit like smoke :)

Lovely angle on the building Andrea and great in mono. I love the way these old mine buildings sit in and become part of the landscape.

Thanks Pete, you're right - they do become such a part of the landscape that it's hard to imagine what it was like before, and they're strangely attractive in their own right.

Hi Andrea,
The abandoned mines in Cornwall are a favourite of mine whenever we visit. I have tried taking them in colour and B&W but I feel the emotions it evokes are far greater when taken in B&W. The post processing is superb, I am in awe. Big thumbs up from me.

Wow thanks for the very kind words, Heather. I went for a contrasty black and white look as I felt it suited the rocky surroundings and the stone of the buildings, as well as adding to the atmosphere. I find the old buildings really quiet and peaceful.

I agree it works well in B/W great old building

Thanks, Minx, they are interesting buildings (y)

Beautiful shot for Discarded Andrea. Lovely processing the really suits it. Nice angle and composition too.

Thanks Lee, it was an interesting wander and I tried lots of different angles but this one seems to show off the buildings and the surroundings best.

Groan.... This year is going too fast! Four themes behind already :( I have the Snapper's Choice and Wild images but they're still in the camera . It's been a busy couple of weeks and I have a tricky deadline this weekend but I'll get the first two processed and added here as soon as poss and think about Broken and Ability.

Don't worry about it Andrea, I just uploaded my broken image yesterday, seems I'm always behind also.

Groan.... This year is going too fast! Four themes behind already :( I have the Snapper's Choice and Wild images but they're still in the camera . It's been a busy couple of weeks and I have a tricky deadline this weekend but I'll get the first two processed and added here as soon as poss and think about Broken and Ability.
We look forward to seeing them when you're ready. No hurry!

We look forward to seeing them when you're ready. No hurry!

:plus1::plus1::agree::agree:

Week 5 - Snapper's Choice

05 Snapper's Choice - Stormy Beach by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

I've struggled so much with time and weather and ideas - usually I had two of those but not the third! Anyway, this is the first of the two images I had in hand last time I updated; this lady on the beach caught my eye while I was out for my 'Wild' image, mainly because she was completely alone on the windswept beach as Storm Ciara arrived on the island and she had her back to the drama of the sea while she looked at her mobile phone.

It's not a great image but it's all I have - we spent the best part of a week sheltering from Ciara and then Dennis!

Week 6 - Wild

06 Wild

I spent a very cold hour in the face of Storm Ciara as it hit the island, trying to get my image for this theme. The conditions were truly wild and I struggled to stand upright and hold the camera still. I have a variety of images but this is my favourite because of the colour of the sea and the waves reaching up against the foot of the cliffs. The building is what remains of the former engine house, built in the 1800s to pump water from the mine shafts in the headland.

Week 7 - Broken

07 Broken

I had the opportunity for a walk on Monday and headed out to find images for Broken and Ability. I had some old buildings near the airport in mind for broken as they are roofless and falling down, but I had forgotten about these pipes or vents sticking up out of a field near the runway. They always catch my eye and this time I was attracted by the extreme corrosion at the top and the great colours and textures of the rust. Definitely broken and I would love to know what they are or were for!

Last edited:
Nice catch up Andrea.
And living on a small island. Why wouldn't most of them included the power of the sea, on way or another (y)

Definitely broken and I would love to know what they are or were for!
2 wild guesses
1) I see these or something more durable these days as "vents" for venting methane on old landfill sites.
These days of course the methane is carried underground to on site "gas stations" to power the works.

2)Is it possible there are old subterranean air raid shelters or stores or similar in this area?
They could be plain air vents for goods or people

Three very nice images Andrea, liking the brave lady in mono which suits the shot. The power of the sea is a great capture and hope you did not suffer much damage.
The last one is my favourite as love how the rust just pops out at the viewer, some sort of marker ?

Thanks, Dave. The first was a PABD really, as I didn't have the chance to get anything else that week, but I love watching the waves so took lots like this for Wild :) Glad you like the last one as I love the colours and texture of rust :)

Nice catch up Andrea.
And living on a small island. Why wouldn't most of them included the power of the sea, on way or another (y)

2 wild guesses
1) I see these or something more durable these days as "vents" for venting methane on old landfill sites.
These days of course the methane is carried underground to on site "gas stations" to power the works.

2)Is it possible there are old subterranean air raid shelters or stores or similar in this area?
They could be plain air vents for goods or people

Thanks, Chris - I think you are spot on with your first idea. I would love it to be the second but the only things like that are elsewhere on the island. However, there has been a lot of quarrying in that area and the latest work is only a field away so I think you're right - thank you! :clap::clap:

Week 8 - Ability

08 Ability

I headed out for a walk by the airport thinking about the spinning radar thingy and the ability it gives to see air traffic approaching the island, but then I realised I could show the ability to fly an aircraft as well as the fortunate ability to be able to stand directly underneath the planes as they approach to land. The bright red and white radar thingy looked great in rare sunshine under an even rarer blue sky, but I've always liked planes so this is my choice.

I remembered to pick a shutter speed to leave a little blur in the propeller blades but the rest of the aircraft is pin sharp. It's a bit of a souvenir shot too; this is an ATR 72-600 arriving from Manchester (registration EI-GPN) operated by Stobart Air on behalf of Flybe. Two days after this photo Flybe went out of business.

I'm not sure when I will get my Winter image as the weather has picked up this week and we've had mostly blue skies and sunshine, but I will get my thinking cap on over the weekend!

Last edited:
Back