March 29th - lifting stay at home rule

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
No
Guys just wanted to check something with you regarding next Monday the 29th when the stay at home rule is lifted. The stay at home rule will be gone and stay local will be encouraged. I presume encouraged means you won't get fined if you decide to not stay local.

'From the 29th, groups can meet anywhere outdoors, including the garden of someone's home.'

If groups can meet anywhere, I assume that presumably a person by himself can travel anywhere within the country? The reason I'm asking is because I've not been on the train to go into, for instance, central london to do photography since the 3rd national lockdown because I didn't want to risk a fine, so I've stayed local, i.e. within 3 to 4 miles of where I live. But I'm keen, as I'm sure everyone else here is, to go out and do some photography and not be limited to where I go. I've also had my first jab as many here have as well.

So from the 29th which is only 5 days away, if we want to hop on the tube train and go into central London, or even wanted to drive down south to the coast or somewhere north up the country we'll be allowed to without any risk of fines, being told off or be frowned upon for travelling too far?

Last edited:
LEE please remember that Covid is not over it is still a killer and very contagious , as are the variants , I'm not planning much at all until 2022 if we don't have more waves caused by people assuming it's all over and we can go back to normal

Guys just wanted to check something with you regarding next Monday the 29th when the stay at home rule is lifted. The stay at home rule will be gone and stay local will be encouraged. I presume encouraged means you won't get fined if you decide to not stay local.

'From the 29th, groups can meet anywhere outdoors, including the garden of someone's home.'

If groups can meet anywhere, I assume that presumably a person by himself can travel anywhere within the country? The reason I'm asking is because I've not been on the train to go into, for instance, central london to do photography since the 3rd national lockdown because I didn't want to risk a fine, so I've stayed local, i.e. within 3 to 4 miles of where I live. But I'm keen, as I'm sure everyone else here is, to go out and do some photography and not be limited to where I go. I've also had my first jab as many here have as well.

So from the 29th which is only 5 days away, if we want to hop on the tube train and go into central London, or even wanted to drive down south to the coast or somewhere north up the country we'll be allowed to without any risk of fines, being told off or be frowned upon for travelling too far?

My reading of it is yes you can go wherever in England, but they would prefer you stayed local.
Also no overnight stays, so any journey must be completed in the same day.
Hoping to get out a bit further ourselves, if anything its safer and less busy than exercising locally.

Got a few self catering holidays booked too, all in quiet detached cottages away from the madding crowd.
Need to start getting back to some sort of normality, written off any ideas of European travel this year.

Last edited:
I'll be just glad to have a beer in the garden with my brother and play with the grandchildren.

Reactions: Sky

You wont be able to go anywhere, but you will be allowed to go local. That's what I think it means on Monday 29th.

You wont be able to go anywhere, but you will be allowed to go local. That's what I think it means on Monday 29th.

Well I know staying local is encouraged but gov.uk says

From 29 March:

• you will be able to meet outdoors either in a group of 6 (from any number of households), or in a group of any size from up to 2 households (each household can include existing support bubbles, if eligible)
  • you will be able to take part in formally organised outdoor sports with any number of people (outdoor sports venues and facilities will be able to reopen)
It doesn't say 'you will be able to meet outdoors but only locally', so presumably it means anywhere. My travelling would be no further than 5 to 9 miles from north london into central london and I'd be by myself, not in a group. Frankly I really don't see how that would be any riskier than my busy local high street and supermarkets or even as risky as meeting in a group.

I can't believe what I just read. :banghead: :mad: :facepalm:

Don't get your knickers in a twist.

Pretty sure that central london will still be there when it's much safer to travel. Equally sure that travelling in on the tube will be the most potentially dangerous part of the trip.

Pretty sure that central london will still be there when it's much safer to travel. Equally sure that travelling in on the tube will be the most potentially dangerous part of the trip.

Yes true. I hadn't made any decision that I was actually going to travel out from next Monday and will more than likely wait until I've had my second jab which should be end of May. I made the thread as I was curious about other members thoughts about the upcoming lift on restrictions.

Yes true. I hadn't made any decision that I was actually going to travel out from next Monday and will more than likely wait until I've had my second jab which should be end of May. I made the thread as I was curious about other members thoughts about the upcoming lift on restrictions.

You asked a factual question and I replied in the same manner.
What you can do and what you might do are two different things entirely

Why you got such self righteous and in one case aggressive replies is beyond me, personally wouldn't fancy the tube, stroll sounds fine though.
Somewhere between not giving a crap and sealing all the doors and windows up seems about right to me.

Last edited:
You asked a factual question and I replied in the same manner.
What you can do and what you might do are two different things entirely

Why you got such self righteous and in one case aggressive replies is beyond me, personally wouldn't fancy the tube, stroll sounds fine though.
Somewhere between not giving a crap and sealing all the doors and windows up seems about right to me.

Thanks Rich for your replies. Yes, I agree with what you said. Seems to be difficult to ask a question here about lockdown without someone getting angry or sarcastic.

In England despite what some police forces thought there was never any legal restriction on how far you can travel. There were guidelines, but no actual law. There is the "reasonable test" but that can only really be tested in a court.

Where? Aggressive? You need to get out more..... :LOL:

Haven't you heard its a lockdown, stay home to save lives.

No wonder poor old Nicola is having so many problems with you lot

Although the stay at home rule has been lifted, this does not mean that we are 'safe'. I would suggest not suddenly seeing how far one can push the new freedoms, but rather stay as local as reasonably possible while enjoying a slightly greater range of movement. The less individuals maximise stretching the boundaries, the more likely we will be to see loosening of further restrictions, hopefully retuning to normality sooner. Hold back a little longer for maximum benefit sooner.

I understood that the roadmap announced a few weeks ago would be subject to changes depending on the data at the time
I read that as this is what we would like to happen in the 29th but may be subject to change

LEE please remember that Covid is not over it is still a killer and very contagious , as are the variants , I'm not planning much at all until 2022 if we don't have more waves caused by people assuming it's all over and we can go back to normal

yeah i think pretty much this, i am off for my first vaccine shot this aft and that for me is just for personal protection in my locale.
me and the wife have no plans at all to change much, have you firstly been vaccinated @Merlin5 ?

these new variants can tear through the current vaccine protection like butter.

yeah i think pretty much this, i am off for my first vaccine shot this aft and that for me is just for personal protection in my locale.
me and the wife have no plans at all to change much, have you firstly been vaccinated @Merlin5 ?

I had my first jab about 5 weeks ago , Can't wait until my second , I'm staying safe

So I had my jab at 2pm on Tuesday.
Felt fine yesterday until around 10pm when I started to get a bit hot and feel fluey.
Today I just feel extremely tired and have very little energy.

I had similar symptoms, which took about a week to clear away. :( The good news is that once they went they didn't recur. :)

I just had a email from a supplier I use :-

TEMPORARY CLOSURE
Thursday 25th March 2021

Our Dear Friend,

We're saddened to have to send this message but the safety of our team and our customers is our highest priority.

Over the last twelve months, we have overcome many challenges, and always strived to maintain our service levels as near to normal as possible, whilst at the same time maintaining strict social distancing measures in and around our warehouse.

However, today, with immediate effect, we are forced to temporarily suspend all of our online and telephone services for the next 7 working days due to a significant Covid-19 outbreak amongst our team.

Yeah, my first jab was 3 weeks ago.

Felt fine yesterday until around 10pm when I started to get a bit hot and feel fluey.

Yeah, I had fluey symptoms, no energy and felt very tired for the first 48 hours, and it took exactly a week for my arm aching to disappear.

Last edited:
Me too, three weeks today and second jab booked for 26th May
Felt rough the first night and next day, nausea, fever and headache.

Yeah, it's not too pleasant. Still, a worthwhile sacrifice for the protection. I didn't get nausea or headache, but I lost my appetite a little.

Yeah, it's not too pleasant. Still, a worthwhile sacrifice for the protection. I didn't get nausea or headache, but I lost my appetite a little.
My wife has lost her appetite and has a sore arm, but no other symptoms.
My appetite is normal, so is my arm.
Flue like symptoms have gone, but extremely tired still....

No reaction for either myself nor my wife. We had the Pfizer vaccine. It would have been interesting to see which vaccinations were received and maybe a pattern would emerge.

Just had my first dose at the Huddersfield Football Stadium, first thoughts its a right run down s***ole and the prices they had up for a pie and a beer !

My wife has lost her appetite and has a sore arm, but no other symptoms.
My appetite is normal, so is my arm.
Flue like symptoms have gone, but extremely tired still....

My daughter lost her appetite and had a sore arm, but not much else.
Wife had a sore arm and felt a bit knackered later on in the jab day.
Both had the Pfizer jab.

I had the AZ or "value jab" as its known at home.
As above felt bloody awful then to cap it all off had a cluster headache.
Took the usual 100mg Sumatriptan and things improved dramatically, CH and side effects went within an hour or so.
No idea if they were going anyway, but seemed bit of a coincidence they cleared so quickly.

can you support that with a source? Not even lurpack

Is the Pfizer vaccine effective against the South African strain of Covid?
Early results from a New York University study show that the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine also offers protection against the South African variant, though this study only included a very small number of people. There is some evidence from lab studies that antibodies made in response to the Pfizer vaccine are less effective against the South African variant - but this does not necessarily mean the vaccine will not still give protection. More research is needed into this area.

Is the Oxford vaccine effective against the South African strain of Covid?
A small study of 2,000 people in South Africa has shown that the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine offers minimal protection against mild cases of the South African variant.

The study, which was based people of an average age of 31, shows that protection may be as low as 10%. The research wasn’t able to determine whether it protects against serious illness or hospitalisation, because this group of people were at low risk of serious illness. Other research suggests that the vaccine is still likely to reduce severe cases and deaths from the South African strain. More research is needed in this area.

Back