March 29th - lifting stay at home rule

shows that protection may be as low as 10%

butter

Is the Oxford vaccine effective against the South African strain of Covid?
A small study of 2,000 people in South Africa has shown that the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine offers minimal protection against mild cases of the South African variant.

The study, which was based people of an average age of 31, shows that protection may be as low as 10%. The research wasn’t able to determine whether it protects against serious illness or hospitalisation, because this group of people were at low risk of serious illness. Other research suggests that the vaccine is still likely to reduce severe cases and deaths from the South African strain. More research is needed in this area.

@Mr Bump

So, not really then. 2 articles which are completely inconclusive and which also contradict themselves.

I prefer the BMJ article.

Especially this bit,

The risk of immune escape is hard to predict long term, but we do know from experience with avian coronavirus that vaccines against one variant will protect against similar variants but not always against highly divergent variants.

... and this ...

Vaccines against SARS-CoV-2 will be needed for many years, and those vaccines will change as variants become too divergent, similar to vaccines against influenza. National and global surveillance, together with well controlled assays to rapidly identify and characterise variants of concern, will allow us to move from current reactive approach to something much more proactive.

Last edited:
@Mr Bump

So, not really then. 2 articles which are completely inconclusive and which also contradict themselves.

I prefer the BMJ article.

Especially this bit,

The risk of immune escape is hard to predict long term, but we do know from experience with avian coronavirus that vaccines against one variant will protect against similar variants but not always against highly divergent variants.

... and this ...

Vaccines against SARS-CoV-2 will be needed for many years, and those vaccines will change as variants become too divergent, similar to vaccines against influenza. National and global surveillance, together with well controlled assays to rapidly identify and characterise variants of concern, will allow us to move from current reactive approach to something much more proactive.

you know what honest truth mate, cards on the table, go for it !

I and my wife for one will be staying local this year, you go gamble mate, gamble your life and your future health on all this crap,

keep me up to date :)

you know what honest truth mate, cards on the table, go for it !

I and my wife for one will be staying local this year, you go gamble mate, gamble your life and your future health on all this crap,

keep me up to date :)

How exactly am I gambling with anything?

... and I am not your "mate"

Is the Pfizer vaccine effective against the South African strain of Covid?
Early results from a New York University study show that the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine also offers protection against the South African variant, though this study only included a very small number of people. There is some evidence from lab studies that antibodies made in response to the Pfizer vaccine are less effective against the South African variant - but this does not necessarily mean the vaccine will not still give protection. More research is needed into this area.

Is the Oxford vaccine effective against the South African strain of Covid?
A small study of 2,000 people in South Africa has shown that the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine offers minimal protection against mild cases of the South African variant.

The study, which was based people of an average age of 31, shows that protection may be as low as 10%. The research wasn’t able to determine whether it protects against serious illness or hospitalisation, because this group of people were at low risk of serious illness. Other research suggests that the vaccine is still likely to reduce severe cases and deaths from the South African strain. More research is needed in this area.

So your claim that they cut through the vaccine like butter is hyper bole then

Last edited:
I think my reading of the rules says you can travel into London - and I can't wait to do so myself, however just for logistical reasons I wont be for a little while. I'll wait to coffee shops and restaurants to open, so I can take breaks and rest up from shooting. So. I'll be staying local for now.

I know we are supposed to attack the post not the poster. But seriously, Mr bump you make a wild statement and when challenged, produce questionable evidence, yet still continue to have a go at others.

Ah well from tomorrow the 27th living in wales we can legally travel anywhere in wales , but not into any of the other nations ... and campsites can re.open but only for Welsh residents .. how on earth this can be policed is beyond me .. time for all this devolved different rules crap based on politics to be done away with

Ah well from tomorrow the 27th living in wales we can legally travel anywhere in wales , but not into any of the other nations ... and campsites can re.open but only for Welsh residents .. how on earth this can be policed is beyond me .. time for all this devolved different rules crap based on politics to be done away with

Rebuild the dyke and the wall. Machine gun posts watching over the minefields in no-man's-land... Use assorted politicians (to be chosen by election?) as tests for the mines and practise targets for the machine gunners.

Just be grateful you can go where you want in your own country.... :D

Rebuild the dyke and the wall. Machine gun posts watching over the minefields in no-man's-land... Use assorted politicians (to be chosen by election?) as tests for the mines and practise targets for the machine gunners.
best idea yet :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Back