Beginner Marina Di Pisa

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Good morning guys and girls,

If you're ever in the Pisa area on a trip, I would recommend a wonder across to the coast to the Marina. Lovely yachts, and even lovelier views. This one was taken just behind a little fish market across the sea to the Apuan alps (part of the Apennines.. i think).. I've totally guessed the mountain range by looking at google maps, so let me know if I'm wrong.

I would like some advice however, I've not done any editing other than a crop to cut a lot of negative space. I find I get a lot of this negative space in my shots - Any tips for filling the space? Need to work on creating the shot in my head first I think..

PisaHarbour.jpg

Looking at the photo I don't find anything wrong with it as I'm looking at as just a photo capturing a holiday moment. As a landscape photo I think it's much harder to say how to improve it without being there. You may try cropping in even more as there isn't a strong point of interest. The lighting is very flat and even.

I went on a workshop yesterday and I have learnt just how important finding the light is, so I think you're right. It is a very flat, uninteresting shot.

I looks like you were pondering on what elements you wanted in the photograph,when you put the camera to your eye.

Do you choose the following

Fishing hut
Background mountains
Foreground Water

The what normally happens is,you try get it all in one shot ..

If it was me ,I would have put on a zoom, make the hut your point of interest.

Choose a wide aperture f16 and try get a section of mountains in the background . And try not cut the tip off one of the fishing poles sticking out.

I am no expert, far from it . I was always taught that the point of interest if nowhere else shouuld be on the right hand side of a photo, as a photo is seen left to right.
As you allow editing I came up with this. You are going to hate it I know but you have asked for ideas

5TAaI5L.jpg

By flipping the photo and doing away with a lot of the wall to my mind gives a better point of interest.

Now everyone else is going to shout me down, but this is how i think the photo is improved

In your photo there is nothing else that attracts the eye but mainly water. had a boat or somthing been in shot then that is different again, like something in the foreground???

Last edited:
The above edit ,illustrates exactly what i would have went for with a zoom lens.

I looks like you were pondering on what elements you wanted in the photograph,when you put the camera to your eye.

Do you choose the following

Fishing hut
Background mountains
Foreground Water

The what normally happens is,you try get it all in one shot ..

If it was me ,I would have put on a zoom, make the hut your point of interest.

Choose a wide aperture f16 and try get a section of mountains in the background . And try not cut the tip off one of the fishing poles sticking out.

Great advice - I did in fact take this shot in auto. I had purchased the camera mainly for this trip to Italy but ended up falling in love with photography as a result.. I'm looking back on a lot of the images I have made and am slightly annoyed when I come across something like this, which is flat and uninteresting. Trying to gain some insight into what I could of done better. So thanks for the input, I really appreciate it.

I am no expert, far from it . I was always taught that the point of interest if nowhere else shouuld be on the right hand side of a photo, as a photo is seen left to right.
As you allow editing I came up with this. You are going to hate it I know but you have asked for ideas

5TAaI5L.jpg

By flipping the photo and doing away with a lot of the wall to my mind gives a better point of interest.

Now everyone else is going to shout me down, but this is how i think the photo is improved

In your photo there is nothing else that attracts the eye but mainly water. had a boat or something been in shot then that is different again, like something in the foreground???

No shouting down from me. I don't hate it as the image still conjures up memories from the trip which is always a bonus. I like what you've done. The image needed a focal point and the hut is perfect for it.

I still have the standard lens my camera came with. I'm at a point where I would like to invest in new lenses now.. so no doubt you'll see me trawling threads looking for recommendations when I find lenses I would consider.

Thanks both of you.

Before you invest in lenses, invest in time and practice. Once you know what you like and what limits you is then the time to start investing in gear.

5TAaI5L.jpg

In your photo there is nothing else that attracts the eye but mainly water. had a boat or somthing been in shot then that is different again, like something in the foreground???

Fair play, thats a big improvement straight away IMHO

Back