Marleen

Lovely, esp #2.

For my taste she's a tiny bit low in the frame in all 3 - maybe try taking a smidge off the top?

Thanks Simon. It never occurred to me, but it would perhaps neatly lose some of the useless negative space above.

Good call Simon - I think I prefer these - changed to 4:5 format and trimmed mostly at the top.

Marleens-9161 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Marleens-9162 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Marleens-9163 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

It's good to see a positive take on negative space... Fun pics!

Marleen & her husband Mike are Zimbabwean and have been having a really tough time of it, but despite that she is always happy and keeps a strong, positive outlook. The skin of her hand & forearm in the second image tells of the hard work she's had to do to support them over many years while work has been difficult, both here and there.

Lovely set of portraits Toni.
Marleen looks a great character, such a friendly face. Good work.

I love shooting with window light too, really like the first. And much better with the crop. The first would look great in mono too, but I do like to do that myself with similar lighting.

They feel just a tad cool for me, maybe try them a smidge warmer? Love the crop btw, much better. Engaging images :)

They feel just a tad cool for me, maybe try them a smidge warmer? Love the crop btw, much better. Engaging images :)

Thanks for the comment Paul. I did look at warming them a little, but it did slightly odd things with skin colour & I quite liked the slight coolness. Might re-visit that though. (y)

Back