Marmite (ICM)

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
No
Most people either tent to love or hate ICM, I tend to like it when it's done by someone like Andrew Gray and a few select others that do it well. I went out friday and thought I'd give it ago again, these were more luck than judgement, but I'm pretty happy with them (for the time being), the 2nd being my favourite.

Coastlines by Neil Burnell, on Flickr

Fields of Gold by Neil Burnell, on Flickr

Distance by Neil Burnell, on Flickr

I prefer the mood and tones in 2 personally

Right, mood and tones… I agree and favourites
of mine too but the line work in there is, for me,
too unquiet… just me!

1st one for me. Not really a fan of ICM but it works here. Shame you don't have a really weird name, you could probably sell it for millions.... :)

I do like the tones in #2 but for me personally ICM seems to work best when the strong elements of s scene are all in the "direction" of the movment (e.g. horizontal element and horizontal movement), hence my pick is #3 whcih I think is really good.

I do like the tones in #2 but for me personally ICM seems to work best when the strong elements of s scene are all in the "direction" of the movment (e.g. horizontal element and horizontal movement), hence my pick is #3 whcih I think is really good.

Thanks Chris, my main problem with horizontal directional movement on scenes such as beaches, hills etc is there is so much of it around and tends to all look the same! For me Andrew Gray is one of the few who can make ICM look like works of art, rather than someone just getting horizontal or vertical lines which match a scene. Its all very hit and miss it seems, 99% of ICM just looks messy or too graphic with straight lines of movement, I suppose I like the second best because it's somewhere in between (thats not to say its right tho)!

Thanks Chris, my main problem with horizontal directional movement on scenes such as beaches, hills etc is there is so much of it around and tends to all look the same! For me Andrew Gray is one of the few who can make ICM look like works of art, rather than someone just getting horizontal or vertical lines which match a scene. Its all very hit and miss it seems, 99% of ICM just looks messy or too graphic with straight lines of movement, I suppose I like the second best because it's somewhere in between (thats not to say its right tho)!
Fair point and food for thought there (y)

I loathe Marmite.
I love these.

I loathe Marmite.
I love these.
Thanks Ruth

Love 1 & 3 they have a very calm feel to them but not so keen on 2.
Cheers Graham

They're quality examples of the genre Neil. Nailed all three.
ICM isn't something I'm deeply interested in but do enjoy taking them and certainly enjoy looking at these.
Thats precisely how I feel Scott, its definitely good to have a play when perhaps conditions dont suit our normal styles, but its not something I'd look to do all the time I dont think. Still it's a handy technique to learn and can be quite fun.

Stunning, stunning and more stunning, love the processing, keep it up...looking with a painters eye, great subject for canvas, would sell very well..

Last edited:
What is ICM?

What is ICM?
Just as I thought. I can safely deduce from the lack of responses that I'm not the only person here who has no idea what ICM means.

Really struggling to split 1 and 3. I think it's the layers of colour and subtle changes tone that I love in No1.
Whereas the light and movement is great in 3, but what really draws me to 3 is the tree on the horizon.
Nice work Neil

Just as I thought. I can safely deduce from the lack of responses that I'm not the only person here who has no idea what ICM means.
"Intentional Camera Movement" the only shot Of a similar type I took some time ago was Unintentional Camera Movement! I was shooting the Aurora at the time and kicked the tripod over just rescuing the camera before it hit the snow. The resultant exposure was some fantastic star trails that I couldn't have got had I tried!

"Intentional Camera Movement"
Thanks 69Bonni. So ICM is kinda like ICS?

Surprised only one person knew what ICM means?

Yes but I only get ICS when I have spent too long down the pub;)
However me thinks too many acronyms in Photography already and as technology progresses there will be more and the old ones never die.

Last edited:
Mega shots. Even though they are the first of this type I have seen by you Neil I could still tell they were yours if I saw them on a wall. Signature processing, you have a style that is as unique as handwriting.

Really struggling to split 1 and 3. I think it's the layers of colour and subtle changes tone that I love in No1.
Whereas the light and movement is great in 3, but what really draws me to 3 is the tree on the horizon.
Nice work Neil

"Intentional Camera Movement" the only shot Of a similar type I took some time ago was Unintentional Camera Movement! I was shooting the Aurora at the time and kicked the tripod over just rescuing the camera before it hit the snow. The resultant exposure was some fantastic star trails that I couldn't have got had I tried!

Ahh yes. This would be the classic UCM passed off as ICM. Have done a few of those myself.

Really like these. Think the last one is most pleasing but they all have something about them.

nice shots i like them

Stunning, stunning and more stunning, love the processing, keep it up...looking with a painters eye, great subject for canvas, would sell very well..

What is ICM?

Lovely mate - can't critique any of them as I'm not clued up on it but my fave is no.2 for sure

1 and 3 are lovely shots. Definitely my to my taste :)

3 for me, lovely.

Nice work Neil

Yes but I only get ICS when I have spent too long down the pub;)
However me thinks too many acronyms in Photography already and as technology progresses there will be more and the old ones never die.

Mega shots. Even though they are the first of this type I have seen by you Neil I could still tell they were yours if I saw them on a wall. Signature processing, you have a style that is as unique as handwriting.

Ahh yes. This would be the classic UCM passed off as ICM. Have done a few of those myself.

Really like these. Think the last one is most pleasing but they all have something about them.

Many thanks for the comments everyone, much appreciated.

They're all great but it's the 1st and 3rd for me Neil. I do like the 2nd however the other two have a calmer feel which I can get lost in - they're easier to look at.

I can't decide between 2 or 3. I find 3 very soothing to look over and no.2 just keeps my attention. Very good work Neil........... as always

Back