18th Mar. ' A Small World ' Time for a break.

badlywornroy

I am not macho
Name
Roy
Edit My Images
No
I think the 'people who know' call these 'dioramas' no, I had never heard of the word before either. :oops: :$

I shall call it ' A Small World '

OO / HO scale figures (used as model railway accessories) these figures are tiny, less than 20mm (or an inch in old money)

These figures are included with life size 'bits and pieces'

It's great fun and not as straight forward as it might look.

Here's a couple of my early attempts, please scroll down as I am adding more almost daily.

1. A Cake Walk. (starring a piece of Christmas cake)

P1001704_a%20cake%20walk_1-XL.jpg

2. Grouse Hunting (Starring my hipflask)

P1001723_grouse%20hunting_straight-XL.jpg

Please scoll on down for more.

Last edited:
Looks like good fun, i can see how someone could spend days/weeks just doing this!

Yes indeed, and as I have quickly come to realise I am only limited by my imagination, photographic skills and the procurement of OO/HO scale figures. (nothing important there then ? :giggle: )
Any model railway aficionados with unwanted 'little people' ?

Brilliant that has given me food for thought, now just to find some figures-charity shops after lockdown?

It looks like a lot of fun Roy - maybe include a PP'd background ??

Les :)

Yes, it's possible Les, My initial thought was I didn't want to divert attention from the central subject. The background on these is just a printed card with sky & clouds.

Yes indeed, and as I have quickly come to realise I am only limited by my imagination, photographic skills and the procurement of OO/HO scale figures. (nothing important there then ? :giggle: )
Any model railway aficionados with unwanted 'little people' ?
There are lots for sale on eBay, although not particularly cheap.

I think the 'people who know' call these 'dioramas' no, I had never heard of the word before either. :oops: :$

OO / HO scale figures (used as model railway accessories) these figure are tiny, less than 20mm (or an inch in old money)

This figures framed with life size 'bits and pieces'

It's great fun and not as straight forward as it might look.

Here's a couple of my early attempts.

1. A Cake Walk. (starring a piece of Christmas cake)

P1001704_a%20cake%20walk_1-XL.jpg

2. Grouse Hunting (Starring my hipflask)

P1001723_grouse%20hunting-XL.jpg

Love the Grouse hunting- my hip flask contains some Sloe Gin I made last year :)

Maybe straighten the Whiskey bottle though - just me I guess :) :) :)

Ok, here are a couple more from what I am calling 'A Small World' my latest Photographic interest.

Sadly, I have resorted to 'toilet humour' for this pair of images, Yes, I am old enough to know better.

1. Occupied.

P1001746_Occupied-XL.jpg

And to my eternal shame . . . . yes ! that is a pencil sharpener.

2. Queueing for pooing.

P1001770_queueing%20for%20pooing-XL.jpg

Last edited:
My latest entry into what I have called 'A Small World' with assistance from some blue food dye, biscuit and a spoon, not forgetting the 'little people' of course.

I have called this: Poolside

P1001791_Poolside-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Really well set up and photographed, biscuit as a beach, even a photographer.

If you don't mind me asking are you focus stacking these?

Really well set up and photographed, biscuit as a beach, even a photographer.

If you don't mind me asking are you focus stacking these?

Thanks for your interest sirch.
I am learning as I go. I have used focus stacking on some of the earlier ones but with this one I resorted to 3 raw files changing the focus point and blending them together. There is a definite advantage to using raw files as I avoid the 'crop' that is part of the 4K / post focus process.

These are all really clever and inventive. Super stuff.

Obviously these are all technically clever but I think the ideas behind them are perhaps even better. Very enjoyable!

Another great shot.
Are you able to show a picture of your setup arrangement?

I have a table top 'Light tent' This one which at 50x50 cm (20x20") is probably larger than I need. All set ups except 'occupied' were taken in this light tent.
Panasonic G90 and what ever lens suits the scene. I have used Olympus 60mm macro, Pan/Leica 25mm f1.4 Pan 20mm f1.7 and Olympus 9-18mm (indecision rules :giggle:) and I have tried focus stacking and blending raws and they both work ok with patience. As you no doubt know, working so close to the subject, D.O.F is the difficult bit. When I am satisfied I
resort to good old Photoshop to tweak and sharpen etc. I have to say I find it great fun, especially during lockdown. I find it mentally stimulating (sad eh ?) running various scenarios
through my head and what 'real world' objects I can use. I have plenty more 'up my sleeve' please return, like most I like an audience. :rolleyes:

Obviously these are all technically clever but I think the ideas behind them are perhaps even better. Very enjoyable!

Richard, I turned 74 on Sat and I think the words " technically clever " when used to describe something I have done is a first ! This old man thanks you profusely. :ty:

Last edited:
Richard, I turned 74 on Sat and I think the words " technically clever " when used to describe someting I have done is a first ! This old man thanks you profusely. :ty:

I worried afterwards that it could sound like a put down but as I find you are just a youngster compared with me I shan’t worry as you will be resilient :).

I have a table top 'Light tent' This one which at 50x50 cm (20x20") is probably larger than I need. All set ups except 'occupied' were taken in this light tent.
Panasonic G90 and what ever lens suits the scene. I have used Olympus 60mm macro, Pan/Leica 25mm f1.4 Pan 20mm f1.7 and Olympus 9-18mm (indecision rules :giggle:) and I have tried focus stacking and blending raws and they both work ok with patience. As you no doubt know, working so close to the subject, D.O.F is the difficult bit. When I am satisfied I
resort to good old Photoshop to tweak and sharpen etc. I have to say I find it great fun, especially during lockdown. I find it mentally stimulating (sad eh ?) running various scenarios
through my head and what 'real world' objects I can use. I have plenty more 'up my sleeve' please return, like most I like an audience. :rolleyes:
Cool, thanks for that.
Are you just using natural light?

These people do a large range of figures in assorted scales. Not cheap but good!

Figures (noch.com)

These people do a large range of figures in assorted scales. Not cheap but good!

Figures (noch.com)

I have a few HO Noch figures. IMO Preiser are the best HO figures and they do a tremendous range but stock/choice is very limited everywhere, pandemic again I suspect.

Love the scale in this, not to mention the title

Many thanks sirch for your interest and comments from when I started this thread. It is good to know people are looking. :beer:

Back