Masking tape for emulsion painted walls?? (update)

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
I want to paint an horizontal stripe on an emulsion painted wall using a different colour emulsion (obviously otherwise you wouldn't see the stripe :D). I have been advised to use a "low tack" masking tape to avoid removing paint when the tape is removed. Can any of you decorators on here recommend a make of tape to use. Also, if I use a "low tack" tape is this not encouraging paint to bleed under it?

Just bought 2 rolls of that frogtape myself, from s/fix. Got a ceiling & coving to paint, without touching the wallpaper below. Glad you recommend it Ken.

Frogtape is great. I am decorating my entire house with it and no paint has bled under. Ideally don't leave it on for more than 24 hours. Seems cheapest in B&Q at the moment if they still have it on offer.

Frogtape is great. I am decorating my entire house with it and no paint has bled under. Ideally don't leave it on for more than 24 hours. Seems cheapest in B&Q at the moment if they still have it on offer.
Same company! But sometimes prices differ between the two.

Just checked. 24m is £4.47 at Tradepoint (B&Q) 41m is £5.37 in Tradepoint, £4.99 at Screwfix

Another for frog. Also found if you paint away from it initially without loading the brush it seems to create a seal preventing the paint from leaking under

Personally I would avoid any of the own brand stuff like Homebase or B&Q etc, the ones I got were terrible.

Frog tape is meant to be good but I haven't used it myself.

I tend to go with the 3M stuff.

Decorating Direct do a large range of tapes for different uses.

This is what I would use for a delicate surface -

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/k/KIP_DELICATE_PURPLE_FLATBACK_MASKING_TAPE/

This -

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/k/KIPMTYEL/

or this -

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/f/FROGTAPE_YELLOW_DELICATE-SURFACE/

Low tack doesn't mean paint can bleed - that occurs if you don't press the tape down properly..... Try to get as little paint onto the tape and remove it (the tape) as soon as you can after painting.

Last edited:
Personally I would avoid any of the own brand stuff like Homebase or B&Q etc, the ones I got were terrible.

The sort of tape that those places sell is not just cheaply made, but it is general masking tape - good for keeping the kids mouths shut but little else..

The sort of tape that those places sell is not just cheaply made, but it is general masking tape - good for keeping the kids mouths shut but little else..

The stuff I got wouldn't have even done that!

I could barely tear off a straight bit on 5 separate rolls.

Lesson learned = Don't buy cheaper masking tape!

Frogtape worked a treat!

_DSC4322_zpsgseluc0o.jpg

_DSC4324_zps0dwxkkca.jpg

_DSC4323_zpsiyi47avk.jpg

Very nice. Def looks like the frog tape worked well.

Thought it was the yellow initially you'd done :)

How many paint coats and when did you remove the tape ???

I kind of like the yellow...

Yeah! the yellow does go well.

Very nice. Def looks like the frog tape worked well.

Two coats, second coat 20 minutes after the first and tape removed immediately. I noticed that using the low tack version you need to press it down again just before rolling the stripe.

Last edited:
Good job. How the heck did you get the tape applied perfectly level across the whole wall. Respect!

Oh and btw, looking at your clock it seems your lens may be suffering from barrel distortion.... ;) :D

Last edited:
Now can I ask what colours are the walls and stripes? ( I know typical woman) Only today been looking at different shades of grey for my living room;)

Now can I ask what colours are the walls and stripes? ( I know typical woman) Only today been looking at different shades of grey for my living room;)

Valspar Modern Grey for the walls, Dulux Natural Slate for the stripes. We did lots of samples before going for that combination but on reflection we should have used Dulux Chic Shadow for the stripes as the current ones seem a little dark and are giving the effect of a low ceiling. Good luck with Grey its a notorious colour to get right.

Valspar Modern Grey for the walls, Dulux Natural Slate for the stripes. We did lots of samples before going for that combination but on reflection we should have used Dulux Chic Shadow for the stripes as the current ones seem a little dark and are giving the effect of a low ceiling. Good luck with Grey its a notorious colour to get right.

Thank you:) Yes I agree about grey being difficult to get right. ;)

The `frog tape` has been great, BUT, to say it's low tack, I used it around the ceiling in the utility room (which didn't need painting) & after emulsioning the walls peeled it off................ & it brought bits of the ceiling paint off with it. :( The ceiling DOES now need painting! :rolleyes:

The `frog tape` has been great, BUT, to say it's low tack, I used it around the ceiling in the utility room (which didn't need painting) & after emulsioning the walls peeled it off................ & it brought bits of the ceiling paint off with it. :( The ceiling DOES now need painting! :rolleyes:

How long did you leave it on? I find that it causes issues if left on for more than 24 hours.

Probably the original ceiling emulsion that hadn't bonded too well on the plaster. Bloody annoying though :rolleyes:. Another trip out to get some more paint in the morning. (y)

Did you use the tape for "delicate surfaces" (yellow)? I found it was very low tack indeed, so much so that I had to keep pressing it down just before rolling.

Probably the original ceiling emulsion that hadn't bonded too well on the plaster. Bloody annoying though :rolleyes:. Another trip out to get some more paint in the morning. (y)
That's the most likely cause. Did it go back to bare plaster - if so then (I expect) there was no mist coat, which is a dilute 'mist' of paint to seal the plaster, thus helping adhesion. You may find that painting over what seems to be sound paint causes more to blister or peel.
The ideal fix is to strip it all back, but an easier way is to scrape off the loose paint and apply some zinsser peel stop.
Good luck!

Did you use the tape for "delicate surfaces" (yellow)? I found it was very low tack indeed, so much so that I had to keep pressing it down just before rolling.

Yes it is the yellow low-tack, Neil. (actually surprised how well it did stick)

You say utility room, I'm wondering if the emulsion wasn't in the best condition. Is the room heated? Is there a washing machine / dryer in there possibly making damp air?

Yep, large radiator in & no damp at all, Graham. We don't have a dryer.

That's the most likely cause. Did it go back to bare plaster - if so then (I expect) there was no mist coat, which is a dilute 'mist' of paint to seal the plaster, thus helping adhesion. You may find that painting over what seems to be sound paint causes more to blister or peel.
The ideal fix is to strip it all back, but an easier way is to scrape off the loose paint and apply some zinsser peel stop.
Good luck!

I think you are more than likely correct, Steve. The utility room was an extension built about 12yrs ago (before we moved in) & I reckon whoever painted it initially just used undiluted emulsion straight on the plaster & there hasn't been a good bond.

Cheers guys.

Back