Critique Maspalomas Dunes

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I was in Gran Canaria during the summer and took a visit to these dunes. I was pretty amazed by them, it looked like to Sahara desert! I had to choose between a colourful sky or nice shadows, went for the shadows.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hhTyma]Maspalomas Dunas by Thomas Green, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hbKh8r]Maspalomas Dunas by Thomas Green, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hkQNvv]Maspalomas Dunas Sunset by Thomas Green, on Flickr[/URL]

Comments and critique welcomed.

Thanks,

Tom

They are excellent dune photos, Tom, and the place looks much better than the Sahara where I was a couple of weeks ago.

Thank you! Oh really? I imagined it’d be miles of this.

Probably if you can travel a long way. The bits we saw, about 40min into the desert in a 4WD, were littered with litter, pipes, vehicle tracks and camel faeces, water bottles and camps for tourists. :p

We also had torrential rain while we were there, and the desert doesn't 'come alive' like that nice Mr. Attenborough led us to believe. ;)

These are fantastic.

Something so evocative about sand dunes and blue skies. So much atmosphere here - you can sense the heat here. Glorious pictures

Thanks very much!

Probably if you can travel a long way. The bits we saw, about 40min into the desert in a 4WD, were littered with litter, pipes, vehicle tracks and camel faeces, water bottles and camps for tourists. :p

We also had torrential rain while we were there, and the desert doesn't 'come alive' like that nice Mr. Attenborough led us to believe. ;)

Ahhh that’s a shame, the expectation vs reality in that situation I guess!

Great set, I like the first the most. Can I suggest you try a square crop on the last one losing a bit of the sky and some more off the bottom?

Thank you! I hadn’t thought of doing that but I’ll take a look :)

I'd like to see the first in a contrasty, square format B&W image. I think focusing on the dune direct would make it a lot stronger. As they are, they're great images. Would have loved to have seen these myself!

I'd like to see the first in a contrasty, square format B&W image. I think focusing on the dune direct would make it a lot stronger. As they are, they're great images. Would have loved to have seen these myself!

I think that may very well work actually. I’m going to try that when I get time to look at these again. Thanks!

Lovely shots Tom, all of them.

Thank you very much.

Brilliant shots
I like all of them.

Thank you very much.

I think you chose right and did really well there - lovely, lovely images

I think you chose right and did really well there - lovely, lovely images

Yes, a very nice set, the first stands out for me too but they're all very good.

Very nice

These are awesome, a very good set of dune photos and I think you selected the right time to shoot them. That contrasty light creating the shadows and accentuating lead in lines, along with the blue/yellow colours just works here.

These are awesome, a very good set of dune photos and I think you selected the right time to shoot them. That contrasty light creating the shadows and accentuating lead in lines, along with the blue/yellow colours just works here.
Thank you! I think so to, the shadows definitely make them stronger.

Back