Beginner Maternity

Name
Saurav
Edit My Images
Yes
So I got an A7R3 and 24-70mm to take photos of the wife throug her pregnancy. We went out to the park on Saturday and got the below shots. Any feedback or how you would improve would be appreciated as we will probably do another "photoshoot" next month and again in April to document each month. Thanks.

_DSC1230 by Saurav Gupta, on Flickr

_DSC1241 by Saurav Gupta, on Flickr

_DSC1241-3 edited by Saurav Gupta, on Flickr

_DSC1248 by Saurav Gupta, on Flickr

_DSC1250 by Saurav Gupta, on Flickr

_DSC1289 by Saurav Gupta, on Flickr

if you are looking for feedback it'd help if you numbered your pictures so people can comment on them :)

you are doing well on capturing the emotions and expressions but I find your background distracting and/or busy.
For example in #2,4,5 I find the few leaves on the top right more distracting than adding to your picture.
Similarly in the last picture where you have done well on the expression of your subject and I like the leading lines of the wooden rails but the dried out brach behind her, green steps/ladder(?) on right side edge makes it busy and distracting.

Parks can be lovely places for a photoshoot but takes a bit of work and attention to make the background work for you.

hope that helps.

Hi Saurav, Anand's comments on backgrounds and distractions are good: when shootin portraits always think about what's behind the subject, because it will have as much influence on the image as the sitter. I can't view your images on Flickr to see your exif data, but if you can, use the lens at maximum aperture and the longest focal length for this kind of work *unless* you need more depth of field. In terms of processing, I'd dial back the greens a little - they're almost luminous in the background foliage.

Away from the technical side, I'd try to encourage your wife you relax in frnt of the camera, rather than hold photographic poses unless those are what you want. Thinking particularly of DSC1250, but more generally too, though the first and last work well.

Hope that's useful.

Thanks, I had used the maximum focal length of 70mm and f3.2 however I will try f2.8 next time. I prefer the "blurry" backgrounds, but I guess I did not have enough separation between the subject and the surroundings.

Thanks all for the feedback, it is good to get an honest opinion from pro's, I will use it when we take more photos in a few weeks.

nice shots but (hopefully not my screen) there seems to be something going on with the greens. way over saturated and off hue .

I am certainly not a pro but I did shoot my wife's pregnancy shoots too.
Shooting people and doing it well especially as an art form is very hard. Certainly one I struggle with, more so than landscapes or wildlife or anything else.

You've done a great job - I hate maternity shoots, but my wife loves to book them and offer them as part of our packages, she gets the newborns, whilst I get the maternity and unruly toddlers/sitters :LOL:

For honest feedback, I'm going to echo the comments about the greens being off, I find that they go a bit crazy with too much backlight, so maybe look into moving slightly so as there is less of a contrasty background.

1st image is nice - I think, as in my comments before that this kind of shot works best against a plainer backdrop (I almost always shoot this one in black and white) the bush on the RHS is a tad distracting.

2nd image is quite nice, but the 4th is very similar and is a better image in my opinion, I prefer the pose and expression in that one.

3rd image is really nice, I'd personally be tempted to crop slightly higher to the base of her dress, but would make sure to leave enough space at the front rather than placing her directly in the middle of the image.

5th is really nice - greens/background aside.

6th is really nice - fence posts need to be straightened and the green bar in the background could do with being cloned out or shot to not be included - this one would look great as a full body in mono too I imagine.

Look forward to seeing your images for next month - Congratulations btw (y)

Back