Mating Damselflies

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Blue-tailed Damselflies are probably my favourite because the females come in 5 different age related colour forms. I found this pair mating and luckily they were on a grass stem with a perfectly clean background. This female is of a colour form called rufescens-obsolete. Shot with the Canon 100-400mm II with a 25mm extension tube. Thanks for looking.

Blue-tailed Damselflies by Mark Tyrrell, on Flickr

"Excellent" shot Mark.(y)

George.

Fab composition and nice and clean Mark, but it does look a little oversharpened on my monitor But it may just be me?
Thanks Nige, I've been seeing this on my TP posts since getting 7D2, despite reducing sharpening compared to the 7D. It looks fine in original form and even on Flickr, so I wonder if TP adds more sharpening. I'll relook at my technique.

brillah shot sirrah

rr by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr

crop a bit top to bottom just to isolate the main event
cheers
geof

Last edited:
Don't crop it.

Nice catch but to me it looks oversharpened on the full-size Flickr image too. Are you shooting raw or jpeg? If jpeg then knock the sharpness setting down a notch or two in the camera. If you shoot raw and use ACR, don't forget that it adds some sharpening to the raw image before you do anything unless you change the default settings. If you use bicubic sharpen when reducing a larger image that can add a little more.

Nice catch but to me it looks oversharpened on the full-size Flickr image too. Are you shooting raw or jpeg? If jpeg then knock the sharpness setting down a notch or two in the camera. If you shoot raw and use ACR, don't forget that it adds some sharpening to the raw image before you do anything unless you change the default settings. If you use bicubic sharpen when reducing a larger image that can add a little more.

I use Canon's DPP RAW converter as I find it gives better results than ACR. I had USM sharpening set to 3 (out of 7) which is low, but I also used the Digital Lens Optimiser at 50%, and reducing for the web I used bicubic sharper as always so I guess this has overcooked it. While I agree this looks oversharpened here, I think Flickr and the original look OK, but am always glad of other opinions. I am certainly finding that the 7D2 requires less USM than the old 7D, so perhaps I need to adjust my PP technique slightly to compensate

Back