Matte or Gloss?

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
I have an image that I'm looking to get printed. Night photography shot.

I have the choice to print on Matte or Gloss.

Image is last posted on my instagram. Opinions please.

Instagram - azureflyer

If it's the boat one, I'd be inclined with a glossy finish. For me, the sharpness and crispness of the image would be spoiled by a matt paper which typically gives a softer look & feel as well as muted colours.

It's all subjective though really.

Are you putting the printing out or doing it yourself? Either way a soft-proof will give you a good idea of which works best

It is for myself. I'm just getting started and gathering a portfolio. How do I go about soft proofing?

I should point out that I never started with intent to sell or anything. It's just a hobby. However I have been approached to possibly sell a recent shot.

I'm really just a beginner.

Last edited:
My understanding of soft proofing is that it allows your software to show what the image would look like on different types of paper. It's a function in Lightroom (for sure - don't know about other software). It's mainly used to ensure you get the levels (brightness and contrast) right for that paper type. 9/10 times I use it, it's like someone moved the contrast slider half an inch to the left. Google will be your friend for more [less biased] info.

My experience of it is that it's a bit of a gimmick. There's nothing that compares to holding the print in your actual hand and looking at it in actual normal light without a backlit monitor.

If I'm ever unsure of which paper to print an image on, I print it on both. Over time, that allowed me to make the judgements I made above. Ultimately, it's about what you want to infer with your print. When I looked at it, it was a technically accomplished image with nice colour tones, sharp, defined edges, and quite high in contrast. If I were to print it, I'd go gloss. Specifically, Ilford Gold Fibre Gloss.

My understanding of soft proofing is that it allows your software to show what the image would look like on different types of paper. It's a function in Lightroom (for sure - don't know about other software). It's mainly used to ensure you get the levels (brightness and contrast) right for that paper type. 9/10 times I use it, it's like someone moved the contrast slider half an inch to the left. Google will be your friend for more [less biased] info.

My experience of it is that it's a bit of a gimmick. There's nothing that compares to holding the print in your actual hand and looking at it in actual normal light without a backlit monitor.

If I'm ever unsure of which paper to print an image on, I print it on both. Over time, that allowed me to make the judgements I made above. Ultimately, it's about what you want to infer with your print. When I looked at it, it was a technically accomplished image with nice colour tones, sharp, defined edges, and quite high in contrast. If I were to print it, I'd go gloss. Specifically, Ilford Gold Fibre Gloss.

Thanks for your response and time. It's all a learning curve for me.

I am not printing it myself, paying £8.50 for it printed on 18" x 12". I've no idea what paper they will use. It's the building picture that I'm having printed. I will get the boat one done aswell. I am really please how it came out.

OK, first step is to ask the printers for the icc profile they use, that will allow you to soft-proof. If you don't have LR, download GIMP, it's free and really very good. You can Gooogle how to soft-proof in it, if you can't fidn that come back here and I'll try to talk you through it. Also, you need to get yr monitor roughly calibrated. I find the Windows tool for that pretty hopeless, another way is to aks yr printers to send you a physical test pritn by snail mail, plus teh file. You then tweak yr monitor settings until the two look about the same....

OK, first step is to ask the printers for the icc profile they use, that will allow you to soft-proof. If you don't have LR, download GIMP, it's free and really very good. You can Gooogle how to soft-proof in it, if you can't fidn that come back here and I'll try to talk you through it. Also, you need to get yr monitor roughly calibrated. I find the Windows tool for that pretty hopeless, another way is to aks yr printers to send you a physical test pritn by snail mail, plus teh file. You then tweak yr monitor settings until the two look about the same....
Thanks for the info. I am using LR, so ill need to find out the ICC Profile they are using.

Back