Mawddach estuary Saturday morning.

Lovely sight well captured Jerry, yes was up Llyn Lydaw for sunrise camera remained in bag as the shot I'm after never came about, always next time.
Kevin

I agree with Kevin, really good light, well captured

Lovely shot Jerry.

That is a truly dramatic photograph,can I ask without any thought of being negative,how much P&P was involved? I only ask this as the photograph is what I would wish to aspire to.(y)

That is a truly dramatic photograph,can I ask without any thought of being negative,how much P&P was involved? I only ask this as the photograph is what I would wish to aspire to.(y)

Good question about processing! Kevin mentioned right time, right place in his post above. Well it's about 90% right time, right place and 10% processing. If you read the blog post you'll see that the previous evening I anticipated some dramatic conditions and put myself in a promising location for early the following morning. When the break in the cloud finally came I was ready for it. I banged on a 2 stop ND grad.

I don't know if you use Lightroom but the processing settings are as follows -

EXPOSURE: -0.24
CONTRAST: 0
HIGHLIGHTS: -81
SHADOWS: +31
WHITES; +26
BLACKS: -52

So although I didn't use the contrast control I got a similar effect by using the whites and blacks sliders. I then turned down the highlights to prevent them from blowing out.

I also selected the wooded peninsula running right>left just above dead centre and added some extra contrast there. Not that it really shows.

As far as I'm concerned this all comes under the heading of processing, rather than manipulation. It's presumably similar to what could be done in the darkroom in the days of film. Others might disagree; I'd be interested to hear any thoughts on this........

Last edited:
Oh, that is just great,I try to use CS5,but,what you have said is illuminating,especially with the shadows,whites and blacks and thank you for providing that information on your brilliant photograph.

I also agree with your film/darkroom analogy.

Last edited:
Back