Max Canvas size for 214kb image ?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all,

I have a image of one of my dogs that recently died which I would like to put on canvas, unfortunately this image was saved to Photobucket some years ago (before my interest in photography) and was downsized to only 214kbs ! ( I know my fault for not keeping other copies) what would be the max size I could get from this ? It looks o.k on my 15 inch monitor. Is there anyway the image could be upsized or would I just lose the quality ( I'm not familiar with digital post processing other than very minor stuff !

Thanks all. Here is a copy of the image

tilly_3017276550_o.jpg

Right click it and look at the properties (under the details tab - don't know on a mac). That should give you the pixel dimensions. Divide the longest edge by 300. This will give you - in inches very good quality. Divide by 100 - this will give you what I'd call "acceptable" quality. Divide by 50 to get "ropey but manageable if it's a memory and you don't look too close"

The image you've linked is 500 x 375 for example, this would print out super quality at 1.6" x 1", "okay" at 5"x3" inches and might start to look ropey, but ok from a distance at 10"x6" - which is around A4 sized.

I've got an enlargement program which I'm happy to run this through if you want me to. PM me if you want more help.

Edit: Just noticed the OP title. I think you can get away with a bit more leeway on canvas.

Last edited:
If it's any help I recently had an old 35mm photo printed as a canvas. I still had the negative but no longer had a slide scanner so I scanned the 6 x 4 inch print at 300dpi. I did have the advantage of being able to scan as a tif but I resized it to about 25 x 17 inches and it's hanging on my wall. Okay it's a nearly 30 year old image taken in mist so it's not sharp and not meant to be sharp, but you have more leeway with a canvas than a normal print. For what it costs, it's worth a punt. They're not expensive.

Is there anyway the image could be upsized or would I just lose the quality
My gut reaction is that you can't go very big with this. Might a 6x4" print do? Or a wild push to 7x5"?

However you (or anyone else) interpolates it in software, the bigger it gets the fuzzier it's going to get. The resource isn't there.

If it's canvas that you're set on, at the sizes mentioned above, the canvas texture will be more intrusive than on a bigger canvas print, but I imagine that yes as Elliott intimated you could think about 150 ppi. It's a compromise. There's no way I know of that you can sensibly go big on this one. Keep your aim low and adjust to it.

Since a 6x4" canvas might look a bit silly, maybe opt for a normal print on lustre paper? And album it, even if just digitally. I don't think that this is one for the wall, unfortunately.

Why not ask @petersmart to run it through his gigapixel app. He's always singing it's praises. Let's see what it can do :D

I have had a "look" at it at both 400% and 600% settings increase i.e. 2000 & 3000px on longest side respectively,.....plus had a quick look at sharpening it to try to bring out what details were there.

IMO it is usable to make a print at 300ppi though because the original has elements of imperfection it would not be 100% ideal but for a memory of a passed pet more than perfect! NB the one area that stood out as difficult for AI Gigapixel to increase was the fur on the ear, it looks a tad mushy.

IMO it is usable to make a print at 300ppi
Forget about 300 ppi in this circumstance. It's pointless. The start-point is a seriously-challenged original. Target low.

If I was in Photoshop, I'd Gaussian blur a bit (say 0.3), then enlarge (very modestly), then maybe unsharp mask a little bit according to how that looked. Things are pretty desperate here. It's not fine photography.

If people have clever enlarging apps then I defer to them - but only possibly.

As I said, it's an extreme circumstance.

Forget about 300 ppi in this circumstance. It's pointless. The start-point is a seriously-challenged original. Target low.

If I was in Photoshop, I'd Gaussian blur a bit (say 0.3), then enlarge (very modestly), then maybe unsharp mask a little bit according to how that looked. Things are pretty desperate here. It's not fine photography.

If people have clever enlarging apps then I defer to them - but only possibly.

As I said, it's an extreme circumstance.

I did not say perfect and the 300ppi reference I made was on the basis of the enlargement, not the original but here is something to show based on the 600% enlargement.

Following the enlargement in AI Gigapixel I PP'ed it in PS as follows:-
1) USM LCE settings to boost contrast a tad
2) resized for here at TP to 1000px longest side
3) finished with a bit of Smart Sharpening.
4) saved at jpeg setting 7 to get a TP friendly sized file

I hope that illustrates that AI Gigapixel was of use with this image and that the full enlarged 3000 x 2250px (4.7MB file) might be workable to make a decent enough print as the memory @BADGER.BRAD is hoping to achieve???

tilly_dogtilly_3017276550_o_output600_TPweb.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks all it really is appreciated. I've learnt a couple of lessons here, one make sure a have a few good photos and don't rely on one method of saving the photo. It's now gave me a little project to see if I can get some descent Portraits of my other dogs in my pack ! There is a possibility that I have this photo on a disc or memory stick somewhere else in a larger size but think from memory the original camera was only around 2 or 3 mega pixel. To my wife's delight I'm going to rip the house apart looking !

Thanks again everyone

Hi Brad @BADGER.BRAD

The larger file I created is equal to 6.75MP ;)

Do you want a copy of it (and its 400% 'brother') before I delete them? I am happy to upload to somewhere like wetransfer (thinks ~ I have used this method once before???) or similar?

Please let me know one way of the other? Oh, if you want I still have the original upscaled one before I PP'ed as described above............can send both as you require :)

Back