Maybe He Should Stop Driving

Or done what many taxi drivers in Crete seem to have done - cut a buckle out of a scrapper and just plug that in to the socket to silence the bleeping bleeper.

cut a buckle out of a scrapper and just plug that in to the socket to silence the bleeping bleeper.
Why doesn't that surprise ? :D

You pull out in front of an oncoming vehicle (assuming thats what happened) then the very least its driving without due care or attention. The fact that someone was injured possibly makes it dangerous driving. If you cant see down the road because of low sun, then you really shouldn't be pulling out of a junction until you can be certain nothing is coming.
So what you're saying is, he should have waited until sunset.

So what you're saying is, he should have waited until sunset.
So, what your saying is you would pull out of a junction when you cant see if the road is clear?
There are ways to shade your eyes from the sun when its low, it just takes a few extra seconds.

So, what your saying is you would pull out of a junction when you cant see if the road is clear?
There are ways to shade your eyes from the sun when its low, it just takes a few extra seconds.
There are plenty of junctions with poor visibility and nothing to do with a low winter sun. Sometimes you just have to go for it and hope for the best.

How about saving your eyes with the sun visor, and if that doesn't work, a good old fashioned hand.

How about saving your eyes with the sun visor, and if that doesn't work, a good old fashioned hand.
Sun visors become useless during the at certain times of day and using your hand obscures too much vision. Plus pulling out from a side turning, you really should have both hands on the steering wheel.

And rightly he shouldn't be done for it, my mate has never been done for it and he's pulled out on 2 people over the years and neither was my Grandad (87 at the time) when he pulled across a junction and missed a car coming because of the sun in his eyes.

Just cause he's 97 doesn't mean he shouldn't be driving. Do people really think everyone who has an accident shouldn't be driving?
Or is it just because of his age/people hate the royals?

One thing is for sure. This prang will have had infinitely more media attention and national gossip than the 5 fatal accidents in the last few years on that stretch of road.
Much ado about nothing.

Sun visors become useless during the at certain times of day and using your hand obscures too much vision. Plus pulling out from a side turning, you really should have both hands on the steering wheel.

That's why you look, then turn.
And both hands on the wheel isn't necessary to still drive safely
Using your hand to shade your eyes takes up too much vision? I suggested shading them...not covering them.

That's why you look, then turn.
And both hands on the wheel isn't necessary to still drive safely
Using your hand to shade your eyes takes up too much vision? I suggested shading them...not covering them.
Actually you should continue to look whilst turning.
Pulling out of a turning you are most likely to lose traction with little effort, especially on a cold day.
Because a sun visor is useless in low winter sunlight where do you think your hand will be to block the glare? In the area below the sun visor which will be blocking most of your field of vision of the road.

Actually you should continue to look whilst turning.
Pulling out of a turning you are most likely to lose traction with little effort, especially on a cold day.
Because a sun visor is useless in low winter sunlight where do you think your hand will be to block the glare? In the area below the sun visor which will be blocking most of your field of vision of the road.

And yet we manage, many of us for decades, to do so without a single incident.

Sometimes you just have to go for it and hope for the best.

You just keep on doing it your way...nice and safe, both hands on the wheel. (No longer a DVSA requirement btw.)

So 97 year old fellow has accident.
and its slag anyone off over 40 who is still driving?
next it will be it was a 60mph road and he pulled out and didn't get to 60 in 4.5 seconds or he was only doing 50 so should be taken out and shot.

It’s curious that everyone has picked on 97 yo man. I would think the higher risk would be from 2 women and a baby in the other car. Were they chatting, texting, did they have earplugs to make sure they weren’t distracted by the baby crying? Etc, etc.;)

I would think the higher risk would be from 2 women and a baby in the other car.
I'm sure we have all seem women on the school run paying more attention to the kids in the back than the road ;)

Of course I have no idea if this was the case though ...

And yet we manage, many of us for decades, to do so without a single incident.

You just keep on doing it your way...nice and safe, both hands on the wheel. (No longer a DVSA requirement btw.)

Just because you and many have been fortunate not to have an incident, it doesn't make it right to do so.

Just because it is no longer a DVSA requirement, it doesn't mean there aren't situations that it would be safer to do so. Especially when turning out of a T Junction onto a 60mph road and getting up to a decent speed safely and quickly.

Just because you and many have been fortunate not to have an incident, it doesn't make it right to do so.

Just because it is no longer a DVSA requirement, it doesn't mean there aren't situations that it would be safer to do so. Especially when turning out of a T Junction onto a 60mph road and getting up to a decent speed safely and quickly.
And in your words, "Going for it and hoping for the best". :rolleyes:

I'm sure we have all seem women on the school run paying more attention to the kids in the back than the road ;)
That would be one of the better mums then. When I used to pick my sons up from school the mums paid little attention to the roads, their kids or their cars for that matter. It was shocking to see so many cars with bald tyres.

It’s curious that everyone has picked on 97 yo man. I would think the higher risk would be from 2 women and a baby in the other car. Were they chatting, texting, did they have earplugs to make sure they weren’t distracted by the baby crying? Etc, etc.;)

Yes, or maybe the sprog was projectile vomitting and/or filling it's nappy with a stinking excrementitious sludge. Events like that are highly detremental to road safety.

It's nice of people to put "Baby on board" indicators in their windows - I treat it as a warning that the driver is likely to be distracted.

It's nice of people to put "Baby on board" indicators in their windows - I treat it as a warning that the driver is likely to be distracted.
I take no notice of it at all, unless said baby is driving.

I take no notice of it at all, unless said baby is driving.
I'm convinced that a lot would do a better job TBH :D

The one that worries me is the "Princess on board" God knows what'll happen ...

You pull out in front of an oncoming vehicle (assuming thats what happened) then the very least its driving without due care or attention. The fact that someone was injured possibly makes it dangerous driving. If you cant see down the road because of low sun, then you really shouldn't be pulling out of a junction until you can be certain nothing is coming.

But shouldn't all accidents be treated as driving without due care and attention in that case? Surely all accidents can be avoided if paying 100% care and attention?

I'm convinced that a lot would do a better job TBH :D

The one that worries me is the "Princess on board" God knows what'll happen ...
Well we’ve come full circle here as obviously a “Prince on board” might warn the public when Philip is at the wheel ;).

That's probably because the 97 year old gentleman pulled out of a road junction directly into the path of an oncoming vehicle, thus causing an accident.

I think the least that he can do now is buy the woman a new car.
Why? That's what insurance is for.

Well at least Prince Philip had apologised to the two women involved in the accident.

No he hasn't
He can't apologise to the victims, that could be taken as an admission of fault and I'm sure you know that if you do that
your insurers could refuse to pay

That's probably because the 97 year old gentleman pulled out of a road junction directly into the path of an oncoming vehicle, thus causing an accident.

I think the least that he can do now is buy the woman a new car.
Nonsense. Insurance should deal with it as with anyone else.

Doesn't the low sun shine directly ahead of you at that T-junction?

At least he has given jaguar land rover a desperate sales boost

I think you ought to re-read my post especially the bit highlighted in bold red, and then place ones tongue firmly in ones cheek.

Except that is not what you stated in your post

Well at least Prince Philip had apologised to the two women involved in the accident.

Last edited:
There are a lot of confident statements here about what should happen in low sunshine but sometimes it’s very unpredictable/unexpected through gaps in trees or around bends especially in country/hilly areas. I have no idea about conditions when this accident happened so make no comment about that.

There are a lot of confident statements here about what should happen in low sunshine but sometimes it’s very unpredictable/unexpected through gaps in trees or around bends especially in country/hilly areas. I have no idea about conditions when this accident happened so make no comment about that.

And all I can say is there are plenty of times (in almost 30 years of driving) that I have done something I shouldn't have done. It only takes a second to make a misjudgement

No matter why he pulled out in front, that car had to be travelling at some mighty lick to help tip an armoured Land Rover.
Crash investigation officers will be able to tell how fast.

The passenger was on the local news tonight displaying her broken arm ....

Back