Me Again ;)

Edit My Images
No
Hi All,

After looking at the shots I posted the other day, I realised something. They looked dull and lifeless, and certainly not representative of what I saw when taking them. A little of this was down to me not using the polariser, but mainly I think this was down to lazy post processing on my part, which I seem to do often - Virtually wasting an entire days shooting.
Secondly, I never put a border on the shots. What i have realised is that the Borders really set the image off against the forums white background, much like a frame would, and that Borders should be a part of post processing.
So, I fired up Lightroom (fantastic bit of kit) and set about PROPERLY processing these, i.e spending more than 3 minutes on each one, then sharpening and framing them. I also need to allow for the lack of contrast the 28-105 affords me.

barnframe.jpg

Cliffframe.jpg

wall2framed.jpg

wallframed.jpg

Original images here > http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=10971

The more I look at them, the more im annoyed that I didnt take the time to do this properly. My LATE news years resolution is now to spend as much time processing my images as I can. This being said, I really need to know if you feel any of these are over processed.

C+C very much appreciated as always.

Thanks,

Look much better to me. I really like No.4 and No.1 although I would crop a bit more off the left of it to make it more like 2:3. It would also put the house on a vertical and horizontal third.

Dont forget that you need to take into account the frame size when re-sizing to keep within the 800px limit.

Thanks for the comments. You are right about the crop definately, the image has been amended but you will have to ctrl-F5 to see it i imagine.

As for the rules, they have disapeared! I read that as long as people are sensible about it, there shouldnt be too much of an issue. They are only 5 pixels out.

If this isnt the case, i can change them!

I'm not sure if its my monitor or not, but the shaddows look very black now...I like the borders though and I agree that good shots deserve the extra time on them for this sort of work..

Regards,

Pete

The colours look fine to me Rich but the shadows are blocking up a bit. They're nice shots and worth the processing time to get them right. :)

Thanks for the comments guys!

CT, when you say blocking up, do you mean you can see the pixalisation in them, like i went overboard on the compression or that they are too dark?
Is there any shot inparticular that is affected more than the others. It will make it easier for me to track down where i have gone wrong and correct it!

Thanks!

-Rich

CT, when you say blocking up, do you mean you can see the pixalisation in them, like i went overboard on the compression or that they are too dark?
Is there any shot inparticular that is affected more than the others. It will make it easier for me to track down where i have gone wrong and correct it!

Thanks!

-Rich
No it's nothing to do with pixelation or compression Rich, the image quality looks fine. An ideal print is one where you can just see some detail in the darkest shadow areas but without the highlights blowing out. Easier said than done sometimes, I know, but these shots all look well capable of the shadow areas being lightened without causing you any highlight problems.

I'd say it applies to all the images Rich. Bear in mind that if you printed any of these, the print would lose some of the luminance you get viewing them on a monitor so would probably look even denser.

Of course I can only tell you what I'm seeing on my monitor, and that's another whole can of worms. :D

Had a quick go at this one Rich and I've just adjusted the gamma and contrast. You should be able to do a lot better working from the original image.

wall2framed2.jpg

I'd say each of these would suit HDR processing? Worth a go anyway. :)

Ahh, i see what you mean :) Thanks! Ill see if i can get a bit more detail in the shadows when i get home.

HDR also might be worth a try, maybe even a black and white one for the comp :LOL:

Thanks for taking the time!

-Rich

Back