Meanygate meanderings (and beyond) - a farmed landscape

Definitely in the 'beyond' category this time, and something new. Around Southport there is a lot of turf grown, mostly further south than where I live. But from time to time it is grown on the mere. I always wonder where it ends up.

_7812273.jpg

_7812267.jpg

_7812257.jpg

_7812256.jpg

_7812254.jpg

I was going to take a walk around the moss yesterday evening but my way was barred by a flood still lying from last weekend's rain. The wet July has put the brakes on harvest round here.

_7813839.jpg

The maize shot is mesmerising.
Thanks. I've taken lots of similar shots of maize over the years, but this is the first time I've managed to get a sense of depth in one. I think the more distant rows of maize make the picture.

I must stop taking my slow lenses out at dusk...

_7513357.jpg

Because you never know what you might see. Sprout the young merlin flying free for just the second time.

_7513337.jpg

That last is unusual and one for @Cobra I think!

You don't often see Merlins in private collections.
He'd traveled to Essex to collect Sprout. It's not the only one he has, plus two Peregrines, and a couple of Harris Hawks. More than he has time for so one Peregrine is going to a new home.

Lovely little bird.

_7513331.jpg

It's that time of year when night comes quickly.

_7829139.jpg

_7829142.jpg

I was tempted to hang around while the sun was low and casting a golden light, but I knew I'd get bored and take the same pictures over and over on each 'lap' of the forage harvester. I went for a walk instead. If I was lucky they'd still be at it after the sun set.

_7829183.jpg

A pity about the blurred leaf top right. I couldn't get a decent angle that kept it out of shot.

_7829198.jpg

_7829205.jpg

_7829210.jpg

Frost after what seemed like months of rain. Not much happening out there this afternoon, apart from what looked like someone setting up a new irrigation system. That's what I cann forward planning!

_7821750.jpg

_7821736.jpg

_7821744.jpg

Not much happening out there this afternoon, apart from what looked like someone setting up a new irrigation system.
All is now revealed! In a rubbish photo...

_7513552.jpg

There were three people there today who didn't look like farming types. And they weren't. This plot is a trial to see if sphagnum moss can be grown commercially. The trial is being run by a company who's name I've forgotten and Manchester Met. University. There was a weather station being put up and soil carbon information being recorded. The sphagnum is being considered as a potential peat replacer in compost, among other uses. It'll be interesting to see how things develop.

Elsewhere I was surprised to see ice still present in places after two frost free nights.

_7513559.jpg

Less surprised to see a ditch diversion had been cut.

_7513568.jpg

And the maize stubble still waterlogged.

_7513572.jpg

More developments from locally, but they're going in my sheep thread.

Last edited:
A whole month since it's been fit to go for a wander! Not much had changed, apart from more water lying on the fields, some with a covering of ice today.

_7816504.jpg

The sphagnum trial plot was waterlogged and frozen.

_7816516.jpg

Weather station.

_7816518.jpg

Ice. Technically poor (e.g. foolish ISO 22800) but nice enough at this size.

_7816523.jpg

And a sunset - just before a large cloud put the lights out.

_7816524.jpg

Things are drying out but there's still water lying in places.

_7816694.jpg

_7816682.jpg

Although the pump isn't running.

_7816693.jpg

I like the composition of the middle one, and the curve of the pipe on the last one is great too.

I like the composition of the middle one, and the curve of the pipe on the last one is great too.
Thanks. The curve of the pipe is what caught my eye. (y)

It was only a light dusting of snow, and certain to disappear quickly, but I thought it was worth a walk. I was only out for a little over an hour but by the time I got home most of the snow had cleared.Not sure it was, but the pictures are something different.

Maize stubble always makes me want to take a photo or two.

_7816707.jpg

_7816710.jpg

Couldn't decide where to place the horizon...

_7816733.jpg

_7816736.jpg

Flooded, frozen, covered in melting snow.

_7816760.jpg

It's that pump again!

_7816758.jpg

A nice set. I prefer the first maize stalks, and the low horizon - but as always, it's your choice!

The sots of the maize are intriguing and withut the explanation my first thought was of WWI battlefields
Interesting. I can see where you're coming from.

A dry week has seen the growers able to get back on the land and start work. Also a chance to get help the lying water drain away.

Tight or wide? I'm thinking tight as it shows the digger and pump-house and /pipes more clearly while still showing the flood.

_7818424.jpg

_7818420.jpg

A dry week has seen the growers able to get back on the land and start work. Also a chance to get help the lying water drain away.

Tight or wide? I'm thinking tight as it shows the digger and pump-house and /pipes more clearly while still showing the flood.

View attachment 416978

View attachment 416979

I preferred the wide, for the sense of perspective and setting it provided.

For the reason Toni mentioned, wide for me also.

I preferred the wide, for the sense of perspective and setting it provided.
For the reason Toni mentioned, wide for me also.
Thanks.

I think I agree after sleeping on it. I guess it could also depend on how large the picture is displayed, as a larger version of the wide shot would also reveal more detail.

The rain actually stopped and the sun actually shone. It was a bitter wind though so I didn't linger long! Just more pics of bags in fields, but different coloured bags and different light,

_7825272.jpg

_7825273.jpg

_7825279.jpg

_7825295.jpg

_7825300.jpg

I've got out of the habit of walking the moss with the rain we've had all winter, but this evening looked like it would stay dry and the sun woulds stay out. The land is starting to dry out and there was some tractor activity - and some nice light.

_7825385.jpg

The flooded field is still flooded.

_7825390.jpg

_7825392.jpg

_7825407.jpg

A few seconds later the light went from the trees.

_7825422.jpg

_7825420.jpg

I like the ones with the trees as backdrop, partic the one with the pylon
I was wishing I'd had a longer lens for some of those. Not much longer, just enough to make the tractor a little larger in the frame. Can't take everything with me for a walk though.

Back