Meanygate meanderings (and beyond) - a farmed landscape

This really will be the last post for a while as I went out today to take two particular 'record' shots. Got one, carried on a few hundred yards then twisted something in my right foot and had to limp home! :(

This picture below was hardly worth the pain, but it does improve on the one it replaces in the small set of pictures showing the name signs of the meanygates. I've put a roughly edited, but still too large, 'gallery in progress' online - https://photo.dlst.co.uk/albums/meanygates-and-moss/ There's a lot will get culled but it's already helping me see where I'm headed with the project.

_7518915.jpg

Trying to show this in a still image is something I've tried to do on and off for some years on my wanderings around the flatlands.

Well the 1st image after your post nailed it. When I looked at the image (before reading the text) I thought "gosh, that looks windy". Subsequent images didn't have the imapct (for me!) Very much like Reel 6 (where you can see all of it) and had to chuckle at Chris not letting something go. Have to agree with him though :)

A rough and ready trial grid.

Boom. Job done.

Edit to add: Although I'd be tempted to put frame 3 next to 5 rather than above it.

Boom. Job done.

Edit to add: Although I'd be tempted to put frame 3 next to 5 rather than above it.

I forgot to order them. And found more.... :rolleyes:

Also, when I start doing things like making grids I see pictures in my minds eye that would work and go looking for them. Ideas generate ideas. ;)

Sorry to hear about your foot Dave, hope it improves soon, the set on your website looks good. Do you mind me asking what website/software you use for that?

Sorry to hear about your foot Dave, hope it improves soon, the set on your website looks good. Do you mind me asking what website/software you use for that?
The foot's improving slightly. Rest should do the trick.

The website software is Koken (http://koken.me/) but I don't think there's support for it any longer. I found it by accident rooting about in the back end of the hosting service I use for my business website and it was included for free. So no additional costs for me.

There's probably something better supported out there. Squarespace seems to get a lot of good press from photographers, but it does a lot of sponsoring too.

Last edited:
I'm no longer limping, but not up to walking too far. Although I seem to have managed three miles this overcast evening.

This is why the irrigation is required.

_7518989.jpg

I thought I'd break out of my rut and try something different.

_7518996.jpg

Then I jumped back in the rut.

_7518980.jpg

Probably not for the project but interesting. I think the culprit could have been a hare. I've seen up to seven of an evening and found the remains of one last week.

_7518965.jpg

Staged shot of hare's head. Also not part of the project.

_7523448.jpg

Nothing stands still for long.

_7523540.jpg

While I enjoy doing projects which don't involve people I find that I get as much out of talking to folk and learning about what they are doing - be that work or play - as I do from taking the photographs. I also like passing the info on to others. Which is why I'm thinking of doing something involving pictures and text at some point. If it hadn't been for the current situation it would have been this summer. :(

This evening I learned that not all that I took to be fleece is fleece. Some is insect netting. Further more the fleece is quite fragile, lasting maybe three years. The insect netting keeps aphids out (and hares), costs more but saves spraying costs and lasts up to ten years. I also learned that rabbits feed at random while hares work along a row of veg. And all because a chap on a 56 year old Massey Ferguson stopped for a chat. :) It's only a snap, but the light's quite nice.

_7523519.jpg

Only just seen this, although I've seen one or two on your twitter.

I've been cycling round here twice a week of late, and I always have my iphone on me so have taken a few snaps here and there. I've taken three almost identical ones to some of yours! If I see some one with a camera I'll stop and say hello!

At some point I'll drive back and wander round with a camera. When on my bike I tend to be peddling furiously - but not travelling very quickly - so don't tend to stop much as I lose momentum and the motivation to restart!

Only just seen this, although I've seen one or two on your twitter.

I've been cycling round here twice a week of late, and I always have my iphone on me so have taken a few snaps here and there. I've taken three almost identical ones to some of yours! If I see some one with a camera I'll stop and say hello!

At some point I'll drive back and wander round with a camera. When on my bike I tend to be peddling furiously - but not travelling very quickly - so don't tend to stop much as I lose momentum and the motivation to restart!
I tried going out on my bike but spent more time looking out for pot holes than photos. If you see someone out there with a camera chances are it will be me!

Ed, I'm sorry. I've seen this thread for a while and I've never opened it until now. "Meanygate" has no frame of reference in this Yankee's mind.

I love this kind of photography. The product of our labor. The map is great. I look at maps daily. GPS might be the greatest invention of this generation.

I hear some frustration that you're looking at the same thing over and over. That's a tough nut to crack. Couple of things you might look for.

Look for shadows and put them in play. I see some shadows in most of the shots, so it looks like they're available. Don't be afraid to take them all the way black. When you see the sun, don't turn to the sky. Turn around. Best shots happen in that 180 degree arc away from the sun. And the golden hour is real. Long, deep shadows make the highlights pop. There are times when I'll go out just to find something to put in front of it. Subject is just a supporting role.

Try some tighter shots. You don't always need a whole tractor in a whole field. Try just a hint of tractor, maybe use it as a frame. That also gives you the opportunity to look for a little perspective.

That high angle would drive me nuts faster than anything else. You've been around for a little bit. People have seen you. You could probably get way with putting on a pair of boots and wading down in there with them. Stay out of the way. If they want to talk, they'll come find you. Either way, you'll get an angle with more possibilities.

Took me a while to get here. I'll be back.

Ed, I'm sorry. I've seen this thread for a while and I've never opened it until now. "Meanygate" has no frame of reference in this Yankee's mind.

I love this kind of photography. The product of our labor. The map is great. I look at maps daily. GPS might be the greatest invention of this generation.

I hear some frustration that you're looking at the same thing over and over. That's a tough nut to crack. Couple of things you might look for.

Look for shadows and put them in play. I see some shadows in most of the shots, so it looks like they're available. Don't be afraid to take them all the way black. When you see the sun, don't turn to the sky. Turn around. Best shots happen in that 180 degree arc away from the sun. And the golden hour is real. Long, deep shadows make the highlights pop. There are times when I'll go out just to find something to put in front of it. Subject is just a supporting role.

Try some tighter shots. You don't always need a whole tractor in a whole field. Try just a hint of tractor, maybe use it as a frame. That also gives you the opportunity to look for a little perspective.

That high angle would drive me nuts faster than anything else. You've been around for a little bit. People have seen you. You could probably get way with putting on a pair of boots and wading down in there with them. Stay out of the way. If they want to talk, they'll come find you. Either way, you'll get an angle with more possibilities.

Took me a while to get here. I'll be back.
Thanks for your comments, Ken.

In more normal times I would have approached people already, but with the social distancing thing going on I'm a bit reluctant at present. That's why something I'm trying to do is indicate how humans are modifying the land without showing the people, more the signs and marks they've left behind, if you get my drift. Trying to take this project away from the more straight documentary approach I've used in others - check out my sheep and poultry threads on here as examples.

NB I can get a bit arty and conceptual at times!

And post some more of your pics in the film section soon. :)

Don’t you think it’s probably loss of topsoil which is happening everywhere with intensive/mechanical farming?

Today there is definitely a loss of topsoil. A long dry spell followed by warm gale force winds with many fields tilled but with no emergent crop meant even last night's rain didn't make a difference. Not the best photos as it was stinging my eyes and I gave up. I had also intended to photograph a couple of scarecrows I'd seen this morning with the light behind them. They'd been blown over!

_7519007.jpg

_7523559.jpg

Although the wind had dropped this evening it was still strong enough to make it difficult to hold a camera steady. Not only has the wind been blowing the topsoil away (I've see a clip from Ormskirk of much worse wind-blown soil conditions than where I am) it has been tearing up the fleece coverings.

P1000366.jpg

_7519112.jpg

Although everywhere is dry and dusty at the moment all the land round here is prone to water-logging in winter. I'm not quite sure where the underlying clay turns to the peat of the moss proper, but I think it's a round where the first meanygate I come to is. The drainage work being done to the east of that lane is certainly on clay.

_7519030.jpg

Out on the moss, however, it's a case of irrigation either under way or being prepared for. There is a range of solutions for delivering water to the crops. Some are actually based around permanent supply pipes - which I'll try to photograph at some point.

_7519052.jpg

P1000315.jpg

And just for 'you know who'... :D

_7519138.jpg

The next post will be a few pics with no comments.

Last edited:
The half 'n' half theme is now what I'm looking for. You've spoiled me.

And just for 'you know who'...
:LOL: See I am paying attention, even after a couple of G&Ts

Although, that was so yesterday, I'm all about this now
_7523559-jpg.279988

But this adds a new dimension in more than one sense...

:LOL: See I am paying attention, even after a couple of G&Ts

Although, that was so yesterday, I'm all about this now

But this adds a new dimension in more than one sense...

I'm not sure that last one really fits the 'set within a set'. But it had to be done! :)

Yeah but a whole new untapped seam?
Possibly. But outside of this project as I doubt I'll find enough different vertical surfaces. I could see it in a more urban setting though. besides, the project is starting to sprawl already. I'm thinking I might have to start splitting the pics into groups/subsets so I can keep track of it.

Thanks for posting these, they’re really interesting. I’m a farmer by trade but arable rather than veg so it’s fascinating to see a side of the industry that I don’t otherwise get to. As an aside I’m in the process of a similar personal project documenting our farm over the course of the agricultural year from planting to harvest. The intention was to produce a small book purely for the records and hadn’t thought of it being of much interest to anyone else but maybe I should think about starting a similar thread.
Really great shots, thanks again for sharing :)

Thanks for posting these, they’re really interesting. I’m a farmer by trade but arable rather than veg so it’s fascinating to see a side of the industry that I don’t otherwise get to. As an aside I’m in the process of a similar personal project documenting our farm over the course of the agricultural year from planting to harvest. The intention was to produce a small book purely for the records and hadn’t thought of it being of much interest to anyone else but maybe I should think about starting a similar thread.
Really great shots, thanks again for sharing :)
Thanks for the comments. Nice to hear a farmer's opinion as I'm not involved in farming myself - other than taking photographs of it.

You might be surprised at the interest in farming. Twitter is alive with non-farmers following farming folk's daily lives.

Please do start a thread. And check out the zine making threads too :D:

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/the-book-and-zine-making-thread.706146/

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/produce-share-a-zine-round-ii-may-october-2020.710583/

Last edited:
I revisited a spot from the 10th this evening. Different light, grown on crop. Not sure I made the best of it, or which approach is better. Probably half way between the two!

_7519230.jpg

_7519228.jpg

Some of the earlier planted veg have been harvested. Again, not the best illustration of this.

_7519191.jpg

And finally!

_7519187.jpg

It's a case of gradual progress with this, but I usually manage to come home with something from my walks. This evening's 'crop'. Variations on themes I suppose.

_DLX4284.jpg

I hate it when I see too many ways of picturing something. Go wide or close in?

_DLX4294.jpg

_DLX4300.jpg

One of my rare overview pictures.

_DLX4312.jpg

It's noticeable that there are two scales of farming out on the moss. There are the large enterprises growing one crop in a field and smaller scale operations which grow a variety of veg in strips within a field. The way the crops are tended is different too.

_DLX4289.jpg

The prolonged dry weather and the couple of days of strong wind have set back some crops. the courgettes from an earlier post were being watered by hand this evening in an attempt to give them a boost. I'd noticed that after the winds many had lost leaves. I have to admit that I chickened out of photographing the watering. Some times I don't give a toss and will take photos of anyone without asking, other times I don't. No idea why. In this instance I think it was a case of distance. They were too close to not notice me, and too far away to speak to without shouting! As it turned out the farmer came over to me while I was photographing the supportive stickers on the tractor and we ended up having an interesting conversation. That's why I now know it was courgettes being watered. :D

_DLX4319.jpg

There are a lot of farmers' and growers vehicles locally adorned with messages of support for the NHS and key workers. When the rest of the country has been clapping on a Thrsday there has been a convoy along the main road through my village to the neighbouring one and back. not my video - so a link to it.

An early morning outing for a change. I'd gone to photograph the scarecrows, but they'd fallen over again.

I decided some closer pictures of the crops might have a place in the project.

_7523587.jpg

_7523637.jpg

There may eventually be a set of cultivation and tyre marks.

_7523616.jpg

Turning onto one meanygate I saw the irrigation boom sprayer was in operation. As I got close enough to it to take photos it stopped. Not my day.

_7523677.jpg

_7523695.jpg

_7523685.jpg

As the season progresses there are more signs of work with crops being picked and machinery in fields waiting for work to recommence. Which meant I got a few 'place holder' pictures which I'll try to replicate when the light is different, and possibly the start of another 'series within a series'.

Glad you didn't...
:)

...also this is great:

I'm not sure about that sprinkler pic. I took a few variations and reviewing them I think I missed a better one by a few inches.

Currently I'm trying to divide the pics in my website gallery into sub-galleries but struggling on themes. The advantage web publishing has over print is it can be reorganised.

So far I'm thinking:
  • Landscapes - maybe subdivided into 50;50s and horizontal band pictures.
  • Earth and Water - ditches, pumps, irrigation equipment
  • Work - people working, machinery, tools etc
  • Architecture - farm buildings and houses
  • Roads/Tracks - views, signs, details
The trouble is some pics could easily fit in more than one section. That might not be a problem on-line though.

I'm not sure about that sprinkler pic. I took a few variations and reviewing them I think I missed a better one by a few inches.
Not having seen the others it looks good to me, it's the kind of image that seems to summarise the current state of the weather and may be the project.

Not having seen the others it looks good to me, it's the kind of image that seems to summarise the current state of the weather and may be the project.
The one I 'missed' is almost identical but the sprinkler head could have lined up with a row of OOF veg in the background.

I don't normally suffer from OCD, but I was slightly miffed that none of the sprinkler heads were dead central between the bracing brackets above them! This isn't the pic, but it shows what I mean.

_7523688.jpg

I was slightly miffed that none of the sprinkler heads were dead central between the bracing brackets above them!
Damned inconsiderate of them, stiff letter to the manufacturers is in order I think :D

It would annoy me too ...

Another early start to travel a route I don't take very often. Plenty had changed. There's more irrigation about too, including what I take to be dribble pipes.

_7523794.jpg

The watering of the courgettes must have done some good as they are now starting to flower.

_7523823.jpg

My 'things in fields' set was added to.

_7523800.jpg

Yet another picture of rows of veg. The splash of red might help this one stand out.

_7523782.jpg

Possibly an entry into the cut-in-half set, but more to show the construction, and erosion, of the road surface.

_7523775.jpg

And finally a foul up. I took three shots of this mirror. Two were summat and nowt. This one has two vehicles in it. It also had the reflection of my bloomin' camera. So I had to crop it. I try not to crop if I can.Probably a throwback to shooting slide film. I'm gradually overcoming this silliness as I know that 10mp is plenty for any print/publishing I'm going to do with my pics. It's a bit too 'clever' to fit in this project, anyway. ;)

_7523788.jpg

My biggest takeaway from this wander was to leave the lens I used at home. It had been put in the drawer for good reason...

Popped out for a short walk this evening under grey skies and ended up covering five miles because the clouds broke up and I got seduced by the light. Foolish boy!

Since my last time out the council have been round marking up potholes and suchlike. They'll no doubt do their half baked pothole repairs which will fall apart within months. This was one of the more amusing sprayed markings. Well, I had a chuckle. :coat:

_DLX4493.jpg

Then it was a case of more variations on themes. This repetition does at least give me more choice to make a final selection which works as a whole. That's my excuse...

_DLX4581.jpg

I love slate grey skies as a backdrop to a brightly lit foreground which makes the colours 'rattle' off each other, as someone I knew at Poly used to call it. I think there is actually a technical term for the effect.

_DLX4567.jpg

I just missed the light falling on the blue boxes. Although I'm not sure that would have improved the picture now I think about it. The light on the machine and trailer picks them out quite nicely. Even the bird-scarer is highlighted a touch. If everything had been brightly there might have been too much emphasis on the foreground.

_DLX4629.jpg

Most of the irrigation reservoirs are away from public access. This one is right by the road.

_DLX4592.jpg

Even I couldn't resist the light here - this one's definitely not making the final cut! :LOL:

_DLX4625.jpg

Last edited:
I've been posting some of these pics on Twitter where I have a handful of followers, mostly sheep fans. Yesterday I had an interesting comment tweeted about them; "I love this series of photos. Great to see how food is grown, but I suspect you like the geometry rather than the biology! "

This got me thinking, and yes, it was the geometric patterns which helped me find my way in to photographing the flatlands where I live, but it's gone beyond that. My reply was; "Both really. The geometry makes the images, the images (I hope) tell the story." It also occurred to me that there a quite a few people photographing sheep and sheep related subjects, but not many that I've found yet who photograph veg. There must be a subculture of vegetable photographers. Surely? :D

Last night and this morning there was rain. By lunchtime it was over. By the time I got out around three it was bright and very windy again. The rain hadn't done enough to damp the soil down and where some was being worked there was a bit of a dust storm blowing from the tractor.

Tried some stuff which didn't work out so not much added to the files.

Simple bird scarer - holographic foil which provides both a visual deterrent and an audible one, so long as the wind blows and the sun shines. I tried loads of ways to make a picture of these. I think the isolated ones worked better than the wider views where they got a bit lost in the frame.

_7519302.jpg

There's always something left behind after crops are picked. How to depict it though?

_7523927.jpg

_7523892.jpg

_7523918.jpg

Permanent irrigation outlet. Another place holder in the project.

_7523898.jpg

And a variation on a familiar theme.

_7523873.jpg

Every day something or other has changed somewhere. Which brings about the dreaded 'fear of missing out' which keeps me going back, maybe a bit too often. Time for a break - if I can find an alternative attraction.

Finally got a picture of one of the scarecrows. The other one was flat on his face again...

_7523975.jpg

_7523997.jpg

When I look at the expanse of lettuces grown around here I always wonder how they all get eaten. So, while these next two pics two are actually a bit out of the area in my originally designated area (although seen from near enough one corner of it) I took them because they show one of the big grower-distributors in the distance. However, if I start looking at this side of things I could easily get knocked off track. So it's back inside my self-imposed box. Potatoes are growing well now, which will be something different. Particualrly when they are in flower.

_7524010.jpg

_7524021.jpg

Spuds.
_7524087.jpg

_7524060.jpg

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to veg. Oniony things?

_7524035.jpg

Another try at an irrigation outlet.

_7524076.jpg

Another try at a post picking scene.

_7524084.jpg

Another thing in a field.

_7524047.jpg

And...

_7524052.jpg

Last edited:
A few days off from this project and I was itching to get back out. With rain forecast for tomorrow I managed to break free around two thirty today.Things didn't look too promising on my planned route but a detour revealed irrigation in progress. And it was accessible. Sadly the light was not that useful but at least I've got some shots of irrigation going on. With this sort of project I'd rather get a record shot than nothing as there might be a chance to get something better in future.

_7524204.jpg

_7524195.jpg

_7524161.jpg

_7524189.jpg

_7524180.jpg

_7524216.jpg

Back