Critique Media City, Manchester

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Went to Media City, Manchester, yesterday afternoon as my sister wanted to draw the large rabbits. I discovered two things - my cheapo mini tripod isn't much use, so most of these are shot handheld, or trying to hold the camera steady on a convenient support. The second thing was that it was much colder and windier than I expected, and a coat would have been useful. Anyway, I managed to salvage some reasonable stuff, though your comments may indicate otherwise. Definitely need another trip there with a proper tripod though.

webIMGP9305.jpg

webImgp9316.jpg

webImgp9326.jpg

webImgp9398.jpg

Critique wise - might need some work on the shadow detail. They are all quite badly underexposed. Tripod definitely required for shots in dark conditions.

Yeah, definitely underexposed. The time to shoot these things isn't actually at night but in a time called blue hour (just after when shot 3 was taken) which is before it gets properly dark, this makes it easier to balance the exposure between subject and sky (the contrast between them is reduced).

Reactions: ST4
As above they seem under exposed - I have a shot taken from the other side of the bridege a few weeks ago taken around 3.30 to 4.00pm

It was a handheld "snapshot" and needed some PP work - but suspect it was taken a bit earlier than your shots ?

Salford Quays by Jon Parry, on Flickr

If possible i'd get yourself back with a coat and tripod and have another wander round as there are some fantastic buildings photo opps :)

Thanks for the comments. Yes, a mistake to not take the tripod but it was a bit of a hasty trip, and I figured my mini-one would be enough. The whole set are between 15.55 and 17.30, I've read about the blue hour and will definitely be heading back there at some point.

Yes, I mentioned that I should have taken a tripod. Any expansion on the pp note? I did some work on them afterwards, but I have a very old copy of PS and not much clue on how to get the best of it - it may be that a newer version (or LR) is required to improve them, or that it's a waste with the handheld images.

Yes, I mentioned that I should have taken a tripod. Any expansion on the pp note? I did some work on them afterwards, but I have a very old copy of PS and not much clue on how to get the best of it - it may be that a newer version (or LR) is required to improve them, or that it's a waste with the handheld images.

You'll probably find that your version of photoshop is plenty powerful enough. You just need to learn it. I subscribe to Guygowan. Well worth it if you're sticking with digital (Fillum for me). I learned a lot and cut my processing time considerably.

OK, thanks for that. I'm in quite an "off season" at the moment, not really going anywhere to take photos at least in part down to weather, so maybe a good time to play around with stuff like this.

You can still save yours.. this is a quick edit of your pic... photoshop.. auto color.. shadow higlights.. exposure.... imagine the original would be even easier to work on and wouldnt kill the bits i did... justsayin with the original you should be able to work on it :)

mc.jpg

Thanks for that, I will have to have a play with them. I must admit, half the trouble I have is trying to decide exactly what to do with the image, and what I'm trying to achieve. Then I get into even my ancient PS, find so many options, play with a few, then end up with just messing with contrast and sharpness. I need to clean something, as well, seeing the spots top right and top left.

Back