Mediterranean Gull

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
Very much like a Black-headed Gull but the black goes further back and the beak and legs are bright orange :)

Med-Gull.jpg

good find Roger - distinctive bird

was it expected, i.e. is it normal? - I'll look at the book - scarce annual visitor

head has a blue tinge maybe?

Last edited:
No blue Bill, though like the BH Gull it has a very small whitish patch near the eye ... generally see a very small number of these visiting in the Spring.

No blue Bill, though like the BH Gull it has a very small whitish patch near the eye ... generally see a very small number of these visiting in the Spring.

It should not have a blue tinge - the head should be black, but the only ones I have seen were in France - car ferry Channel port

Last edited:
Very much like a Black-headed Gull but the black goes further back and the beak and legs are bright orange :)

View attachment 63441

Taking a wild guess that it may be a Franklin's Gull, although they are common nesting in mid western Canada,
your sighting would put it a long way from home. Two features in your photo are at difference with my
Audubon guide which shows no red around the eye and a duller red beak.

.Franklin's Gull.JPG

Now that I posted the Franklin's Gull, I see that it can't be as the Franklin's has a distinct black extension (bib) not on your bird.:grumpy:

It should not have a blue tinge - the head should be black, but the only ones I have seen were in France - car ferry Channel port
It doesn't have a blue tinge Bill, it's black and I don't see any blue tinge on the image.
@Richard C. Jones It is a Mediterranean Gull :)

Back