Medium Format Portraits

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
Yes
So I recently picked up a Yashicamat 124G and Ive been exploring film for the first time. I stumbled on the camera in a charity shop for a steal and it looks like its never actually been used. Whilst in Italy on my summer holidays I had a good rake around some of the flea markets in Florence and found a Rollei B1 close up kit to pair up with the Yashica.

Here are two or three portraits - all developed and scanned by Filmdev. the film was an old roll of HP5 that was in the box with the camera - expired 1989.

Quite pleased with the results. Ive sharpened then up a little in lightroom but other wise pretty much as they were delivered. Im surprised how sharp the close up kit is, it lets me get a lot closer to focus than I could with the standard lens and therefore a lot shallower depth of field - these were all shot wide open at F3.5

Any hints, tips or CC appreciated.

1. Bullyboy by Michael Carver, on Flickr

2. Yashicamat 124G by Michael Carver, on Flickr

3. yashicamat 124G + Ilford HP5 by Michael Carver, on Flickr

Well done. Not to my taste as you've got too close with the ascociated distortion but each to thier own.
Perhaps a bit further back and a smaller apature for more depth of field next time, f5.6 should do.
All the same, your right about how the quality shows through. Well done.

One camera I really regretted selling was my 124G, focusing on the ground glass screen wasn't too easy but it did produce some lovely images, as you have done here.
Personally I like the shallow depth of field, all I would say is be a little more careful with the background, but otherwise well done.
Matt

Thanks guys - one of the drawbacks I found with the Yashicamat was the ability to get closer and fill the square frame for a portrait - the filters let me do that now albeit the depth of field is wafer thin lol, maybe close down the aperture just a little next time.

Back