Meeting other forum members

Name
Gil
Edit My Images
Yes
Has anybody met other members for a morning of birding? I'm keen to get more into it and would love to meet up with other like minded people - mainly to pick up tips and also to notice things that I wouldn't on my own.

I normally go to RSPB Old Moore, Elsecar and also RSPB Lochwinnoch when I'm up North but open to trying new things anywhere in the country inbetween. Would anybody mind me tagging along with them sometime?

Also off to Tenby for a week soon. Anybody recommend places I should go?

There have been birding meets Gil, depends where you are really. :)

There have been birding meets Gil, depends where you are really. :)
I'm living in Sheffield but originally from Scotland. I try to visit my folks every month and on my way back try and get a morning in at RSPB Lochwinnoch. I guess that's kinda near where you are Gramps

I'm living in Sheffield but originally from Scotland. I try to visit my folks every month and on my way back try and get a morning in at RSPB Lochwinnoch. I guess that's kinda near where you are Gramps
No Gil I am way down south in Bristol, so not very near to you, hence I don't know about meets in your area I am afraid. :)

No Gil I am way down south in Bristol, so not very near to you, hence I don't know about meets in your area I am afraid. :)
Woops, I don't know why I thought you were near Prestwick. Maybe I'm thinking of another member!! Bristol is a bit far away, saying that one day I might bump into you in a hide somewhere by coincidence. I seem to unexpectedly find myself in places I've never been before these days. Bath a couple weeks ago.

Last edited:
Bosherston Lakes

This and the whole of the Stackpole Estate.

As for Bosherston Lakes, plenty (when we were there a few years back) of Herons and up until that time I had never heard their call and they chased each other about. It conjured up thoughts of pterodactyls!!!!

Last edited:
In fact I changed trains in Bristol I think.

This and the whole of the Stackpole Estate.

As for Bosherston Lakes, plenty (when we were there a few years back) of Herons and up until that time I had never heard their call and they chased each other about. It conjured up thoughts of pterodactyls!!!!
I'll be sure to post what I see on my visit here!! Hopefully some Herons!! Looking forward. Just hope the weather will descent

Last edited:
Forgot to say when we went the Swalllows were nesting under the eaves of the Stackpole visitor centre building ~ about three feet above your head!

Edit ~ that was in July 2014

Forgot to say when we went the Swalllows were nesting under the eaves of the Stackpole visitor centre building ~ about three feet above your head!

Edit ~ that was in July 2014
Had a short walk down from the bridge today but not as early as I had wanted. Too many walkers but did spot a pair of cormorants and a heron later on the otherside of the main fish pond. Hope to go back again very early one morning next week. Any secret spots?

Hi Gil,

Bosherston Lily Ponds definitely gets a thumbs up from me as probably 80% of my Wildlife photos are from there. I would also suggest Westfield Pill which is on the opposite side of the Cleddau Bridge park at Neyland Marina. Marloes Mere is also a fantastic place as is The Deer park at Martins Haven and of course Skomer Island. If you have time The Wildlife Centre at Cillgerron is definitely worth a visit its just outside of Cardigan :)

Hi Gil,

Bosherston Lily Ponds definitely gets a thumbs up from me as probably 80% of my Wildlife photos are from there. I would also suggest Westfield Pill which is on the opposite side of the Cleddau Bridge park at Neyland Marina. Marloes Mere is also a fantastic place as is The Deer park at Martins Haven and of course Skomer Island. If you have time The Wildlife Centre at Cillgerron is definitely worth a visit its just outside of Cardigan :)

Well if Going near Cardigan I lived there for over 30 years and you should go to a place called the cliff hotel. There is a footpath around the back of it where the Sea meets the cliffs.
And Mwnt beach, go up the hills there and around rocks / hillside / cliff faces. However I have seen plenty of birds there but I have no idea if they were rare or interesting to a bird watcher.

Well if Going near Cardigan I lived there for over 30 years and you should go to a place called the cliff hotel. There is a footpath around the back of it where the Sea meets the cliffs.
And Mwnt beach, go up the hills there and around rocks / hillside / cliff faces. However I have seen plenty of birds there but I have no idea if they were rare or interesting to a bird watcher.
Will be going to St Davids to see the cathedral but not sure if we will make it as far as Cardigan. Have had some lovely weather so far - it's a lovely part of the country.

Thanks Cobra Magoo!! Didn't realise there was this part of the forum. Let me have a hunt

Back